Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
Some of those maps I recognize as being from OUT in Thailand (numbers in dots of different colors). I think OUT in Thailand always had publication year and month printed, but some of the other gay magazines had not and you have to do detective work to date them!

OUT in Thailand had inaccuracies in their maps. Some were pointed out by readers and hopefully corrected in further editions.
OUT in Thailand was one of the better free gay magazines IMHO. It was published by a guy in Chiang Mai and he was able to get some very good exclusive interviews, as with Sir Ian McKellan. It ceased publication when he left Thailand for reasons which I have never seen explained. Many of the old copies can be seen on this site -

https://issuu.com/out-in-thailand

As for maps, I remember there was quite a debate at the time Christianpfc mentions, especially about the difficulty of keeping maps up to date unless the publisher has a small army of volunteers obtaining and checking that information. That's impossible, in my view. Maps in freebie magazines can only be be regarded as giving approxmiate locations, the more so when the venues themselves frequently had very general locations on their websites. All the freebie mags had the same venue location issues. It would have been a different matter if such publications had to be purchased.

But the various freebie magazines catering to the English-Speaking market seem to have gone the way of the dodo.