Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

Thread: The LIST of GAY BARS and GOGO's in PATTAYA from 1980 till now

Liked

Re: The LIST of GAY BARS and GOGO's in PATTAYA from 1980 till now

Just so everyone knows, the Gogo bars I've seen are open for outdoor bar service, not Gogo. I'll be pleased to be corrected or updated on that.

DD Inn looks like a lady bar these days, at least when I have been past in the late afternoon. Or have I not looked closely enough ? (Not that I would want to)

Liked

While making the list, I used all the maps from the past that I could find. Memories for you and me about the strolls through gay Pattaya, some long time ago.00. 1990-map.jpg00. bt (2).jpg00. BT 1994.jpg00. complex.gif00. complex.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]120000. sunee (2).jpg00. sunee.gif5[/ATTACH]00. pattaya 91.jpg00. pattaya.jpg

3. 8 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (December 20th, 2021), Brad the Impala (December 20th, 2021), daydreamer (December 21st, 2021), Dodger (December 20th, 2021), Jellybean (December 20th, 2021), Oliver2 (December 20th, 2021), Patanawet (December 20th, 2021), Ruthrieston (December 21st, 2021)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thanks....again. Would it be possible to date them?

Liked

A few are dated, but for the rest I don't know really, sorry

Forum's veteran
    Liked

OK. Fascinating contribution to this site. Thanks.

7. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Halcyon (December 20th, 2021), Patanawet (December 20th, 2021)

Liked

Some of those maps I recognize as being from OUT in Thailand (numbers in dots of different colors). I think OUT in Thailand always had publication year and month printed, but some of the other gay magazines had not and you have to do detective work to date them!

OUT in Thailand had inaccuracies in their maps. Some were pointed out by readers and hopefully corrected in further editions.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Halcyon (December 22nd, 2021)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Some of those maps I recognize as being from OUT in Thailand (numbers in dots of different colors). I think OUT in Thailand always had publication year and month printed, but some of the other gay magazines had not and you have to do detective work to date them!

OUT in Thailand had inaccuracies in their maps. Some were pointed out by readers and hopefully corrected in further editions.
    OUT in Thailand was one of the better free gay magazines IMHO. It was published by a guy in Chiang Mai and he was able to get some very good exclusive interviews, as with Sir Ian McKellan. It ceased publication when he left Thailand for reasons which I have never seen explained. Many of the old copies can be seen on this site -

https://issuu.com/out-in-thailand

As for maps, I remember there was quite a debate at the time Christianpfc mentions, especially about the difficulty of keeping maps up to date unless the publisher has a small army of volunteers obtaining and checking that information. That's impossible, in my view. Maps in freebie magazines can only be be regarded as giving approxmiate locations, the more so when the venues themselves frequently had very general locations on their websites. All the freebie mags had the same venue location issues. It would have been a different matter if such publications had to be purchased.

But the various freebie magazines catering to the English-Speaking market seem to have gone the way of the dodo.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The same is true of Spartacus.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Armando View Post
    As for maps, I remember there was quite a debate at the time Christianpfc mentions, especially about the difficulty of keeping maps up to date unless the publisher has a small army of volunteers obtaining and checking that information. That's impossible, in my view. Maps in freebie magazines can only be be regarded as giving approxmiate locations, the more so when the venues themselves frequently had very general locations on their websites. All the freebie mags had the same venue location issues. It would have been a different matter if such publications had to be purchased.
    Yes there was, I think the most heated debate took place on then gaythailand (now gayguides). OUT in Thailand asked readers to update his maps, whereas the normal tourist would take the maps for guidance. Not so much locations, some maps in gay magazines list places that are long out of business.

A friend one brought a newly bought Spartacus, let's say the 2014 edition. The data was researched in 2013, and half of the places moved or changed name or went out of business when I read the Spartacus Thailand section in 2014.

Internet used to have more accurate information (because more recent) than books, but now in Covid times, things change even quicker than internet can follow and before I go somewhere, I call or ask a friend who is nearby to see if the place is open.

Liked

Many of the guides published on paper or the internet end up out of date very quickly. That's probably due to the short life of many businesses. Sometimes combined with people losing interest in maintaining their website or publication.

Google Maps can be better, however even they foul it up. For instance, Panorama is showing as temporarily closed. I suggested an edit, including a photo of it open, taken on my Android device. Google even ought to be able to detect that customers like me have used the bar from their phones. They still have not changed the status to open. Whether or not they accept my edits seems to follow some kind of random process.

There are also strange examples of businesses moving location and not updating Google maps. e.g. C and B barbers moved from Thaniya to Patpong. They didn't update their location and eventually I did it for them.