Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 13 of 73 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus - Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Coronavirus - Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    really...more people die in car accidents (700/day) in china but yet there is no warning to avoid china because of crazy kamakazi road antics....60 0000 die/year (in a bad year) in the US because of the flu....yet NO warning about avoiding the US ....me thinks world has gone nuts

Have you heard of a thing called "mutation" Latin, THAT is what they're more worried about rather than how many old people die of THIS particular strain of this particualr virus, so far they've gotten lucky that THIS virus, whilst able to travel fast isn't THAT deadly, but that fact could change in a heartbeat and the travelling fast along with a mutated strain that IS a lot more deadly ( think Spainish flu etc) IS something that should give concern, hence the need to try and stop this virus in it's tracks if possible, which so far they are failing to do and they know it.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by latintopxxx View Post
    really...more people die in car accidents (700/day) in china but yet there is no warning to avoid china because of crazy kamakazi road antics....60 0000 die/year (in a bad year) in the US because of the flu....yet NO warning about avoiding the US ....me thinks world has gone nuts
    About 80,000 infections and 2,600 deaths in a matter of months and spreading.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

francois as seen yesterday near Tukcom:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

This virus is in addition to all the car accidents, standard flu etc.
    If it goes global, a 2% death rate x a few billion people means a lot of deaths.

Also, the death rate is higher for people who are old, or have certain existing health issues.
    Anyone of a certain age might want to take more care to avoid this particular virus.

5. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (February 25th, 2020)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...I'd start panicking right now if I was you...

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    How did you recognize me ?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    . . . Also, the death rate is higher for people who are old, or have certain existing health issues.
    Anyone of a certain age might want to take more care to avoid this particular virus.
    Well said, goji, that’s why I am taking a particular interest in this story – see my comments at post #2 in this thread (quoted below):

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    . . . But, as I have a weakened immune system and suffer from asthma, I thought it would be prudent and certainly do no harm to buy and wear a face mask . . .
    Now, getting back to the latest news, today I highlight three stories from today’s Bangkok Post:

China reports 508 new cases of coronavirus, deaths up by 71

published : 25 Feb 2020 at 08:04
    writer: Reuters

BEIJING: China had 508 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infections on Monday, the country's National Health Commission said on Tuesday, up from 409 cases a day earlier.

That brings the total number of confirmed cases in mainland China so far to 77,658.

The death toll from the outbreak in mainland China had reached 2,663 as of the end of Monday, up by 71 from the previous day . . .
    For the full report see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...eaths-up-by-71

Airlines scramble to slash ticket prices

published : 25 Feb 2020 at 07:00
    newspaper section: Business
    writer: Narumon Kasemsuk and Dusida Worrachaddejchai

The unease caused by Covid-19 is expected to drag down Thai tourism for more than six months, triggering airlines to slash ticket prices to steer the market, while Nok Air and Nokscoot cut pilots and cabin crew to save cost.

Thai Airways International (THAI) is partnering with the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) to offer discounts such as free domestic tickets to international tourists. Low-cost carriers plan to focus on local tourists opting for domestic travel as there is a limited number of outbound choices free from the virus . . .
    For the full report see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...-ticket-prices

Italy's coronavirus 'red zone' gets used to life under quarantine

published : 24 Feb 2020 at 20:45
    writer: AFP

Italy has become the first European country to take drastic isolation measures over the COVID-19 after five deaths with more than 50,000 residents in 11 northern towns in quarantine.

CASALPUSTERLENGO, Italy: At the edge of the northern Italian town of Casalpusterlungo, residents are slowly getting used to the isolation measures descending around towns like theirs, the centres of Italy's outbreak of the new coronavirus.

Here the frontline of the fight against the virus is an unassuming roundabout in the middle of the Lombard plain . . .
    For the full report see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...ntine#cxrecs_s

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    How did you recognize me ?
    I was wondering the same thing, françois. There is clearly no sign of your French beret or your French stick. Maybe he recognised you from your jaunty French gait as you walked by Tukcom heading who knows where in your hazmat suit. Hmmm . . . ?

Liked

Today I highlight three Covid-19 related topics from the Bangkok Post:

Uneasy silence at malls

Sales drop as locals, tourists avoid shops

published : 26 Feb 2020 at 06:31
    newspaper section: Business
    writer: Pitsinee Jitpleecheep

Tenants call for reduced rental rates at MBK after a drastic sales drop caused by the coronavirus outbreak.

The atmosphere at NaRaYa, a popular bag retailer at Ratchaprasong intersection, has completely changed during the past several months. Long queues of customers and busy cashiers are sights not seen at the flagship store since the coronavirus outbreak.

A similar fate has befallen Big C Supercenter's Ratchadamri branch, whose Thai souvenir zone on the ground floor used to be a hotspot for Chinese shoppers but has now gone quiet. It's the same story at Tao Kae Noi Land's Terminal 21 shop, another draw for Chinese tourists . . .
    For the full report see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/business...lence-at-malls

Health authorities expect coronavirus spread on US soil

published : 26 Feb 2020 at 07:05
    writer: AFP

American health authorities said Tuesday they ultimately expect the novel coronavirus to spread in the United States and are urging local governments, businesses, and schools to develop plans like cancelling mass gatherings or switching to teleworking.

Officials are also worried the outbreak poses a threat to the the security of the US drug supply chain because a high proportion of ingredients used to make medicine is made in China, where the virus was first identified . . .
    For the full report see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...ead-on-us-soil

Italy, Iran cases jump, drug result due in April: Virus update

published : 25 Feb 2020 at 18:07
    updated: 25 Feb 2020 at 18:08
    writer: Bloomberg and online reporters

Iran reported a total of 15 deaths from the coronavirus, the most fatalities outside China. Italy, the outbreak’s epicentre in Europe, said infections in the Lombardy region rose to 206 from 172. The country might seek flexibility on some budget targets.

Earlier on Tuesday, South Korea reported 84 new infections for a total tally of 977, making it the country with most cases outside of China, while Thailand reported two new cases. The US, Japan and Hong Kong issued travel warnings for South Korea, while the United Arab Emirates banned flights to all Iranian cities . . .
    For the full report see: https://www.bangkokpost.com/world/18...pdate#cxrecs_s

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I have just passed through Savanabhumi airport. It was completely deserted as I checked in, passed through immigration and security. Not a single other passenger in sight or a queue for anything...and this was at 10.30.
    All staff wearing masks but with little or nothing to do as there are very, very few passengers to be seen.
    Weird!