Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Culture in Bangkok

Liked

Re: Culture in Bangkok December-January

Quote Originally Posted by StevieWonders View Post
    is there a performance of The Messiah?
    I'm sure I heard The Messiah over the loudspeakers at CentralWorld the other day, followed by a rousing rendition of that Thai classic Jinger Ben - the malls are a great source of kulture at this time of year!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    "I went to the performance of Mahler's Sixth a few weeks ago"

OAP concession ticket?
    Mahler's sixth symphony would not be a good choice for an OAP. Its last movement is famous for its three musical "hammer blows". Frau Mahler recollected that her husband was using them to depict the way in which life deals a series of massive blows to any individual, with the last of them being the one that "fells him like a tree". Such an intimation of mortality might be enough to finish a sensitive oldie off.
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Frau Mahler recollected that her husband was using them to depict the way in which life deals a series of massive blows to any individual, with the last of them being the one that "fells him like a tree".
    Would that perhaps be akin to finding a despised individual had begun posting comments in a Forum thread you had started and considered to be your exclusive property? Asking for a friend

Liked

"Mahler's sixth symphony would not be a good choice for an OAP. Its last movement "

One of our OAPs here probably has trouble with every movement which explains a lot.

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Culture in Bangkok thread moved

Of course! We wouldn't want "Culture" cluttering up such a vibrant forum.

It's also normal to add a link to the new location, when moving threads.

Banned
    Liked

Re: Culture in Bangkok thread moved

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Of course! We wouldn't want "Culture" cluttering up such a vibrant forum.
    Once upon a time "Gay Thailand" meant Gay+Thailand, nowadays anything about Thailand that isn't specifically "gay" gets shunted off to "Everything Else"

7. User who gave Like to post:

lonelywombat (November 29th, 2019)

Liked

Re: Culture in Bangkok

Thread reverted to "old" place.

Sometimes border btw threads devoted to "just about Thailand" and "just about Thailand but usable for gays" is too thin. Like that case. I think this thread is usable for gays and should stay in GT forum. Sorry for intervention.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

9. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (November 30th, 2019), frequent (November 30th, 2019), StevieWonders (November 30th, 2019)

No Platformed
    Liked

Thanks to all those who made helpful comments and to Moses for keeping the thread here. Arriving tomorrow. Woohoo.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'd be interested to hear from frequent whether the Bangkok performance of Mahler 6 had two or three hammer-blows in the finale.

12. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 30th, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    I'd be interested to hear from frequent whether the Bangkok performance of Mahler 6 had two or three hammer-blows in the finale.
    Even though it was the only work on the programme and is usually played straight through without interruption, for some reason and unannounced in advance there was an interval which for me completely destroyed the mood. I sat it out so I'm unable to answer your question