List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Electric cars - anyone any thoughts on that!?

Liked

Re: Electric cars - anyone any thoughts on that!?

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    If I proceed I'm also going to pop one it at the office at work and charge up there ( so the firm pays for the juice at least lol)
    Yes I doubt HMRC have any way of tracking this particular "free fuel" perk & for all I know they might have even not got around to taxing this anyway.

Liked

Buy an electric car you can afford, a Ford (electric Mustang).

Liked

What an interesting topic, if I may say so, NIrish-guy. I was thinking about buying a hybrid car next year, but will wait and see what the state of my finances are like after I return from my up and coming three month trip to Thailand.

I look forward with interest to reading your reviews following your test drives of the Jaguar tonight and the Tesla S at the weekend.

. . . tax benefits . . . first year allowance claims . . . temporary zero rate . . . personal "benefit in kind" tax rate . . . no depreciation ( accounts wise) but there IS 100% allowance of the purchase against Company tax . . . AND for a limited period it has a ZERO rate for personal benefit tax which saves a further 16% personal tax too, so not so shabby tax benefit . . .
    And what can I say about the above quotes? Music to my ears as a former employee of HMRC, that’s what I can say. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    Yes I doubt HMRC have any way of tracking this particular "free fuel" perk & for all I know they might have even not got around to taxing this anyway.
    Hmmm . . . I think you’ll find, goji, that HMRC local office officers will have been giving serious thought to the matter and submitting reports and cases up to head office for technical guidance since the issue of electric cars was first introduced and questions asked about their taxability. And in turn, head office civil servants will have considered the effect on the Fuel Benefit Charge as soon as it became clear that employers and taxpayers would be changing from fuel to electric driven vehicles and given advice to HM Treasury for legislative action. And, contrary to popular belief, tax officers don't spend all day counting beans, not even jelly beans.

Below are two links. One to HMRC internal Employment Income Manual and the other to a guide for Checking if UK taxpayers/employers need to pay tax for charging an employee’s electric car:

https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/eim23900

https://www.gov.uk/expenses-and-bene...c-company-cars

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Buy an electric car you can afford, a Ford (electric Mustang).
    Thats actually a very interesting addition to the options list for anyone thinking of buying in 2020 and certainly ticks a lot of key boxes. Re the "you can afford part" ( Im assuming that's a general comment and not specific to myself there btw :-) actually I've found when buying ( renting ) on a PCP contract the monthly costs are all within maybe £200-£250 or so of each other no matter WHAT car you buy - but starting in the £40/50K bracket and with a good range ( if accurate) that mustang certainly seems to look like it's going to shake up the market even more, which is a good thing of course.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    I look forward with interest to reading your reviews following your test drives of the Jaguar tonight and the Tesla S at the weekend.

Well I'll not bore every one with my thoughts much on the cars as there's a ton of websites that offer a much better review than I ever will, suffice to say I'm raging as I went to the Jag dealership mentally quite minded that I was actually getting a Tesla and was just ticking the Jag off the list - HOWEVER - I left the dealership now more confused than ever as the Jag is also a great car ( and a bit cheaper too than the Tesla S range that it directly compares too).

I guess the one main difference being that Jaguar is a company who KNOW how to build a car and have done so well and then added their battery tech to that, whereas Tesla seem to be more a company who know about batteries and the like and have come up with loads of trendy / geeky features and then added wheels around those ideas.

The cars in question :

https://www.jaguar.co.uk/jaguar-range/i-pace/index.html
    ( SE or HSE models - around £72K, 5k deposit and £774pm PCP, actual cost to be after tax and fuel benefits added back is about £480 pmon PCP)

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/models
    ( Long range model around £80k,10K deposit and £746 pm PCP, actual after tax and fuel benefits added back is about £635)

https://www.tesla.com/en_gb/model3
    - ( long range option - around £48k and about £608pm PCP - actual cost to me after all tax and fuel savings factored in is about £431)

I have to admit on paper the Jag looks like the "sensible" option, but after feeling that drive and the torque in that Tesla ...OMG....who wants sensible perhaps :-)

PS lovely to see that this thread developed as it did. I was fully expecting to get slaughtered for it :-) But nice to see we are at some level all normal people with real world interests too ........well SOME of the of the time anyway, this is when we ( and I ) are not busy discussing off fess and and complaining that 300 baht in a bar is just to high for a beer that is :-) lol

Liked

Buy the Jag.

Liked

OMG....who wants sensible perhaps
    After one reaches a certain age I think it's perfectly OK to buy with your heart and not your head.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    After one reaches a certain age I think it's perfectly OK to buy with your heart and not your head.
    Yes perhaps you’re right - but maybe not always as one that point of anyone wishes to buy an used 13 inch mains powered jumbo headed double ended dildo please contact me and I’ll be sure to forward your details to the seller !! Lol ( JOKE !!! :-)

Liked

Re the "you can afford part" ( Im assuming that's a general comment and not specific to myself there btw :-)
    Just a pun, "if a car you can't afford, buy a car you can, a Ford."

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Just a pun, "if a car you can't afford, buy a car you can, a Ford."
    Ahhh ok, I see, well. now I must just be to young to remember that particular campaign what with me (almost) being a child of the 70's and all that