Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
OK, so whilst I know it's not "gay" per se I'm guessing a chunk of us still drive cars so I thought I'd ask ( and post it in everything else in case anyone objects too much).

So, I'm currently trying to decide about buying an electric car......sorry to be clearer I've fairly much already decided to buy electric ( mainly for tax reasons I have to say) so now I'm trying to decide WHICH electric car. So far my two clear runners are the Tesla S or 3 series or the Jaguar I Pace ( I'm leaning more towards Tesla I think though) - so just wondering as it is all still quite a new area of development in the car industry as anyone perhaps bought either of the three about models ( or any of the other few options there are out there now) and if so what their own thoughts and experiences are ??

A bit of a long shot I know but I thought worth a try ?
I’ve done a lot of work for someone involved in the electric vehicle world so here’s my tuppence-worth:
  • If your motivation is environmental then have a look (Google is your friend) at the issues around battery recycling
  • I’m assuming it’s a “town car” so distance between charges should not be an issue but there’s anecdotal evidence that the “distance between charges” as suggested by the manufacturers is often very optimistic; some owners report charging itself is not always as reliable as it should be
  • While Musk is a visionary there’s speculation about how long his loss-making car manufacturing can last - but then they said that about Jeff Bezos and Amazon
  • I’d be going for the more “local” manufacturer - which means Jaguar - rather than a distant manufacturer like Tesla
  • If it were me I’d rather go for a hybrid; I don’t believe that electric vehicle technology is quite there yet

Don’t think that many of those thought bubbles really help if you’ve already set your heart on “going electric” however, but it kicks the topic along. And if you’re really adventurous there’s an electric vehicle charging station in CP Tower on Silom* although I haven’t inspected closely to see what manufacturers it supports. Unfortunately charging stations are like mobile phone chargers a few years ago - every manufacturer has their own ideas and there is no interchangeability, unlike petrol pumps

* You’ll appreciate that as I’m still teaching Latin in sglad’s former classroom in Houston that information is pure speculation. Speaking of learning Latin and sglad, we spent the morning on the second declension which, as any fule kno, includes “catamitus”