FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Vietnam completely dead?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Forum's veteran
    Liked

Is Vietnam completely dead?

I’ve been reading a bit about Hanoi and Saigon.

It seems that there are few ,if any, gay bars and no mention at all of gogo bars.

Th gay saunas seem to be just for massages and nothing like Babylon or Sansuk.

Am I correct in thinking I would be wasting my time taking a trip, there during my winter hibernation in Pattaya?

Would appreciate advice from anyone who’s actually been, thank you.

Liked

Re: Is Vietnam completely dead?

The apps are lively and I've had some good times with enthusiastic men I've met through them in Vietnam. It's maybe three years since I was in Saigon but I found the bars disappointing then.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Am I correct in thinking I would be wasting my time taking a trip, there during my winter hibernation in Pattaya?
    I hesitate to comment, as it's almost 9 years since I last went to Vietnam. I'm toying with the idea of going during my winter hibernation, but so far have just booked Thailand & Burma.

Hanoi had rather a dull gay bar which didn't get going until late & had no obvious "trade". I went to 1 or 2 saunas, which were not memorable. The best part was a massage place, which did a short sauna, a body scrub and a massage by some very fit young masseurs in their underpants (which eventually came off, if I remember correctly).
    Halong Bay, Danang, Hue and Hoi An were nice to visit, but no sign of any gay life.
    Saigon had a very dull gay bar. I went to one sauna, had a massage & paid up for a HJ, which was done so fast I wish I hadn't. Had a completely professional massage at another place.

Zero boys to my hotel. I imagine that's picked up a bit since, as phones & phone apps are more widespread.

One of my Chinese friends tells me there are some quite interesting male massage services at the coastal resorts.

So I wouldn't suggest going to Vietnam for the sex. However, if you are in SE Asia for several months, of course it should be possible to indulge in Pattaya, then go sightseeing to somewhere with slightly less action.

For boys, I've had more success in Cambodia, Laos (Vientiane), Singapore, Malaysia, Burma and The Philippines than in Vietnam.
    However, I guess there are other members who have been to Vietnam more recently.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Thank you for your very informative reply Goji.

Liked

February 2019. 2 weeks in Saigon and Vung Tau.
    Blued app - about 70-100 offers daily, about 60% moneyboys, rest - willing to study English students
    Saigon: visited 3 gay bars, mostly for to drink and socialization. Highly recommend to visit Thi bar - singers with great attitude and good voices, Western songs.
    Sauna: NaDam Spa, few buildings, 3 floors each. Gay. Clean with good Asian wooden interior with stones, bamboo and water. A lot of willing students and young mens. Masseurs are pro in massage, I didn't asked for "more".

General impressions: it was amazing travel
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

6. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 19th, 2019)

Liked

1 Vietnam seems to have a "marmite" gay scene, ie visitors either like it or hate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    February 2019. 2 weeks in Saigon and Vung Tau.
    Blued app - about 70-100 offers daily, about 60% moneyboys, rest - willing to study English students
    How did these work out ? Were they all offering a good service at a fair price ?
    Did you encounter any pretending to not be money boys and then demanding money ? Or any other dubious behaviour ? I like money boys who declare they are money boys at the start of any phone app dialogue, then do exactly what they agree to do for the agreed price.
    [I'm not suggesting any of this is a problem in Vietnam. However I'm asking as boys are more trouble in some countries than others]

3 There is also a 2019 visit report from another contributor here: https://www.gayguides.com/forums/forum/24-gay-vietnam/

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    1 Vietnam seems to have a "marmite" gay scene, ie visitors either like it or hate it.

2How did these work out ? Were they all offering a good service at a fair price ?
    Did you encounter any pretending to not be money boys and then demanding money ? Or any other dubious behaviour ? I like money boys who declare they are money boys at the start of any phone app dialogue, then do exactly what they agree to do for the agreed price.
    [I'm not suggesting any of this is a problem in Vietnam. However I'm asking as boys are more trouble in some countries than others]
    I'm below 60 and with average, but seems still "acceptable shape". So I still use "free service". In bars in Thailand when I'm alone, I pay tips for sitting with me, but I don't off boys. That why I can't discuss prices or service of MB in VN, nor can recommend any of them.

These, who was with me in VN at time of past visit, were students, they didn't ask for any money and even paid drinks in bars themself at evening, but accepted invitation to breakfasts what I paid.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    I don't off boys. That why I can't discuss prices or service of MB in VN, nor can recommend any of them.

These, who was with me in VN at time of past visit, were students, they didn't ask for any money and even paid drinks in bars themself at evening, but accepted invitation to breakfasts what I paid.
    1 My guess is it's dead easy to invite a guy for a meal, feed him and part company. [I have no interest in this, but respect different choices]

2 To find a guy to act as the top, without any kissing might be slightly more difficult. [Again, not my interest]

3 Finally, if looking for a lad to kiss, suck and bend over so he can be f***ed, I suspect it's much more difficult in Vietnam than Thailand.

I might be wrong on these points, but clarifying expectations can be important. People like me wanting a bottom lad (#3) might find it more difficult.

For example, I recall reading glowing praise of Moroccan lads by one member on another forum (now closed). Apparently, there were loads of them, all willing & available. When I started asking questions, he eventually admitted he was paying for the privilege of him sucking them off. Now, if that's what HE wants to do, it's fine. However, knowing this is quite an important detail, since I have zero interest in ever meeting lads for that purpose & it may be the same for some other members here.

As a further example, when visiting Romania, there were no end of lads willing to act as tops. If I'm the top, requiring a lad to kiss, suck and bottom, the field of willing bottoms narrows down to almost nothing.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (October 19th, 2019), dab69 (March 6th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    3 Finally, if looking for a lad to kiss, suck and bend over so he can be f***ed, I suspect it's much more difficult in Vietnam than Thailand.

I might be wrong on these points, but clarifying expectations can be important. People like me wanting a bottom lad (#3) might find it more difficult.
    I'm "top only", no kisses on one-night-stand, so I have no idea if they like to kiss or not...

Liked

I don't think VN has much of a "scene" exactly. In the cities, I think gay people just blend into the general Nightlife. So there's no real need for specific gay bars, as such.

Plenty of action on the apps. I'm a plump, pastey, white dude in my late forties, but I get plenty of offers on blued and Grindr, mostly from young guys. Usually, they want money, but not always.

I like Vietnam, generally.

13. 3 Users gave Like to post:

libero2555 (November 13th, 2019), Moses (October 9th, 2019), paperboy (October 8th, 2019)