Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Personal Safety

Liked

Personal Safety

I must say I have always felt much safer wandering around Pattaya after a few drinks (ok then, drunk!) than I would in Dublin. I live in the city centre and would be reluctant to be out too late. But I've never felt that in Pattaya. What's your experience?

Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.

2. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 1st, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Personal Safety

In twenty-five years, the first ten of which were as a single man- walking around Bangkok, Pattaya, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai- no fears, no problems. Apart from irritating touts in Bangkok.

4. 3 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (August 1st, 2019), arsenal (August 1st, 2019), joe552 (August 2nd, 2019)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Frankly, the only thing you need concern yourself with are Arabs on motorcycles.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

6. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 1st, 2019), billyhouston (August 2nd, 2019), gerefan2 (August 1st, 2019), splinter1949 (August 3rd, 2019)

Liked

You're correct. It feels safe here.
    One of the many joys of Thailand.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

8. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (August 1st, 2019), joe552 (August 2nd, 2019), Smiles (August 1st, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Frankly, the only thing you need concern yourself with are Arabs on motorcycles.
    I've always thought the greatest adrenaline rush in Bangkok could be got crossing Silom Rd. Since the advent of the BTS however I've generally crossed over using the escalators at Sala Daeng. Latterly (in the past 12/18 months) I've noticed that many Thais are now crossing over on the pedestrian crossing near McDonald's just up from Convent Rd; incredibly the traffic sometimes stops when there are pedestrians crossing the road there. My long-term practice is to make sure there's a crowd of Thais between me and the on-coming traffic when using a pedestrian crossing

Liked

In my 8+ years living in Thailand, I never once felt in danger that I can remember. I felt safer walking around at night in Thailand than I did in West Vancouver, and that's one of the safest areas of Canada.

I remember my neighbors would always freak out at both, myself and Kim because they would see me go to 7/11 at 2 or 3am to get some cigs or whatever. They would tell Kim to make sure I don't go out that late, becauuse it's very dangerious.

I always used to just shake my head and laugh. For fuck sakes, I used to live in Budapest... I think I can handle Khon Kaen.

Liked

I had a video call from a Thai friend in Pattaya yesterday. He showed me the bruises and cuts around his neck where someone ripped his gold necklace off in the street.

Personally in the 30 years I’ve been visiting Thailand I’ve never felt unsafe.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Chuai-Duai View Post
    I had a video call from a Thai friend in Pattaya yesterday. He showed me the bruises and cuts around his neck where someone ripped his gold necklace off in the street.

Personally in the 30 years I’ve been visiting Thailand I’ve never felt unsafe.
    There are signs everywhere in the Silom/Sathorn area in English warning of drive-by (presumably motorcycle) theft so it must be reasonably prevalent for such carpet-bombing

Liked

To put it mildly ... at 20 years of visiting and living in Thailand I've never once felt danger at night, walking, by myself, in large cities, in small towns, villages etc etc etc.
    That 'feeling' is one of the great joys of Thailand.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

14. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (August 3rd, 2019), joe552 (August 2nd, 2019)

Liked

never been to Dublin.