Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Visa to the UK. Again

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Visa to the UK. Again

Yes....that is indeed my intention There's no reason why I shouldn't remain in eye-contact with him. and make my presence as obvious as possible.

Liked

Why not just go through the foreign passport line with him? I can't see the immigration officers having a problem with that, as they're capable of admitting entry to a UK citizen as well.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Why not just go through the foreign passport line with him?

Exactly. While my partner and I have not entered the UK, we have entered the U.S. and European countries (Schengen) many times and we always step up to the Immigration counter together. We've never had an officer object.

4. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (June 6th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

In fact I think they prefer you go up together so they know who and what they’re dealing with.

Still pisses me off mind when on returning from a trip and we my Asian BF and I walk up to a UK passport control desk that after clearing me they then try to grill my bf, who has a full British passport too and STILL try to quiz him as if he’s some illegal immigrant trying to sneak in and beat the system or that I’m some sort of evil gang master trying to smuggle him in as forced labour or my sex slave ( I’d be so lucky :-) or that I’m in some way trying to bring him into the country under duress !

And it doesn’t help when to do his inherent nervousness of ANYONE in authority no matter what they ask he STILL ends up fluffing the answers and so makes us both look as guilty as hell. He’d better not ever loose his passport as he’d make a SHIT illegal immigrant being smuggled in that’s for sure ! :-)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'd not thought of using the same Immigration desk as P....thanks for that.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Still pisses me off mind when on returning from a trip and we my Asian BF and I walk up to a UK passport control desk that after clearing me they then try to grill my bf, who has a full British passport too and STILL try to quiz him as if he’s some illegal immigrant trying to sneak in and beat the system
    A friend of mine always plays dumb under those circumstances and keeps claiming he doesn't understand the question. Eventually they give up because they're not prepared to show open prejudice

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Still pisses me off mind when on returning from a trip and we my Asian BF and I walk up to a UK passport control desk that after clearing me they then try to grill my bf, who has a full British passport too and STILL try to quiz him as if he’s some illegal immigrant trying to sneak in and beat the system......
    If you are both hold UK passports, why not use the e-gates? Computers don’t tend to give attitude.

9. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (June 6th, 2019), frequent (June 6th, 2019), gerefan2 (June 6th, 2019), goji (June 6th, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Oliver2 - sorry to say, but I think you are getting ahead of yourself worrying about what will happen at the passport control desk.

You started this thread asking for advice on obtaining a UK visa for a Thai national and of course I wish you the best of luck. But you have a few more hoops to jump through yet and I expect that when your bf finally gets his visa, it will fill him with confidence and the actual passage through immigration will be walk in the park..

Good luck!

11. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (June 6th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMee View Post
    If you are both hold UK passports, why not use the e-gates?
    Absolutely and where we're directed to or where we can we do, but alas egates aren't available at all airports yet ( like here in our home city) so sometimes it's still the old third degree for no particular reason, personally I treat such check points as a mere administrative annoyance and almost walk myself through barely stopping, but my bf doesn't yet have that confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMee View Post
    Oliver2 - sorry to say, but I think you are getting ahead of yourself
    I have to agree with MM here Oliver, I think you're thinking WAY to fay ahead in the process so far and if others experiences are anything to go by you've still a very big uphill task on your hands to even GET the visa and if you are successful then Passport control would be the LAST of my worries as by that point the decision to admit has already been made and all passport control are doing assuming that nothing is untoward is basically box ticking his arrival in to the Country when admitting your friend. GETTING the visa is the hard part, passport control is ( in my mind anyway) a total non issue almost.

As others have said the main task for you / him is to show sound reasons that he will return to Thailand ( good job, responsibilities at home, short dated return ticket - if you wanted to risk buying that ticket before getting the visa this is - personally I wouldn't as I think his chances may be slim depending on his circumstances). But hey you can only try, but others have tried before you and been turned down for little reason it seems, Meanwhile the UK certainly seems to be admitting just about ANYONE else these days EXCEPT cute Thai guys !! Talk about the system TOTALLY getting it wrong ! Just tell them he's a 35 year old Muslim Asylum seeker but pretending to be 14 with no papers and he should be fine it seems !

Best of luck anyway and do be sure to keep us all updated as to your progress ( and costs) just in case the "mood" has changed somewhere in government and it's now easier to bring friends from Asia ( but I doubt it unfortunately :-( )

13. User who gave Like to post:

goji (June 6th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yes, it is fair comment to say that not even the first hurdle has been negotiated. You will appreciate that P and I have been talking about this a lot over the three weeks I've been with him here in Thailand; we are exploring process, consequences, potential problems, even whom he would meet and where we would go were the application to be successful. He is very excited and wants to talk but, at the same time, he recognises that he may be unsuccessful . As do I.

However, having discussed this with two successful applicants since I wrote my post, I'm at the stage where I'd be disappointed if he fails. The important considerations, as posted at the start of the thread, seem to be well-met....P's. life at home, his finances and his wish to return, my financial security and the sixteen-year length of our relationship.

I'm most appreciative of the advice I've received.