Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IN BAD TASTE

Re: Ian at Cafe Royale

Quote Originally Posted by englishrose
    God bless Ian you will be missed.
    I'm happy to hear the Internet is available in the after-life so he can read this heartfelt wish

Quote Originally Posted by homintern
    I'm happy to hear the Internet is available in the after-life so he can read this heartfelt wish
    No one has ever come back let us know but if you are offering.

Liked

I have enjoyed your many posts over the few years I have been a member
    I feel you have gone too far this time and feel ashamed that I have supported you.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    I feel you have gone too far this time and feel ashamed that I have supported you.
    Thank you Lonely wombat it is good to see that we have some one with class on line.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat
    I have never claimed to write in good taste. As Malcolm Muggeridge once said "Humour lies in the difference between human aspiration and human performance". I was hearing Princess Di jokes and Challenger jokes within half an hour of the deaths of those respective parties. It's life - and we're the living. Get over it

And Muggeridge's defininition explains why sex is such a topic of humour, and why pointing out the absurdity of englishrose's statement is appropriate. It made no comment about the dead whatsoever (note use of the word "dead", not the genteelism we've had so far in this thread)

Ian

Because we hear jokes that are in bad taste does not make them either funny or right. The number that were going round about Gays and A.I.Ds offended many perhaps you would think of this in future. It is a common fact that people who joke about everything are insecure and please stop the misquotes .

Liked

Re: Ian

" ... It is a common fact that people who joke about everything are insecure ... "
    I have never heard this before.
    In fact I was always under the impression that the dynamic would (should?) be pretty close to the opposite ... with some exceptions of course ~ Jerry Lewis for one. M. Homintern perhaps another :blackeye:

Was your statement above based on some poll or academic study?

Cheers ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Indeed, Smiles, it's amazing ...

... the number of rationalisations people come up with about why people make jokes - usually by people who have no sense of the ridiculous. I haven't yet heard a rib-tickling joke about AIDS but I'm sure one exists and I look forward to hearing it - it will be most likely delivered by someone who has the disease. I'm pretty much convinced there is no subject that is exempt from humour, but I realise that many, many people are po-faced about one thing or another. If I have offended them ... tough

Liked
    I haven't yet heard a rib-tickling joke about AIDS but I'm sure one exists and I look forward to hearing it - it will be most likely delivered by someone who has the disease. This is a joke that Bob Hope used. "I heard the satue of liberty has aids,they dont know if she got it from the mouth of the hudson river or the staten island fairy"

DELETED