Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile/SIM card query

Liked

Re: Mobile/SIM card query

Thanks!

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by snotface View Post
    ...My Samsung mobile has an 8Gb SIM card which is now full and this is affecting the performance of the phone. I have 32Gb of SD memory...
    You probably mean internal memory of your mobile phone. I would suggest the same as other have, and have a tech-savvy friend have a look at your phone.

SIM-cards do have memory as well, and many years ago I had a SIM-card whose memory was full (pre-smart-phone times, when all phone numbers and SMS were saved on the SIM card and not in the phone).

Quote Originally Posted by Asia Traveler View Post
    So in a different aspect which SIM card works best for Thailand and Cambodia for telephone, text, and data?
    I use only data outside of Thailand. Regarding SIM for Thailand and Cambodia, AIS (which I use) has a very attractive roaming package for neighboring countries (their website is such a mess, I couldn't find a link, but I wrote down the important information last time I used it): unlimited data but limited speed if memory serves right, 7 days for 99 THB, to activate with *111*407#

3. User who gave Like to post:

goji (May 28th, 2019)

Liked

I've bought a Thai sim for Thailand, a Cambodia sim for Cambodia and a Laos SIM for Laos. After reading Christian's comments, perhaps this is not optimum.

The Thai one cost 535, with a data package for 1 month.
    The Cambodia one cost $15 (THB 494 at the time), with a data package. Purchased at the airport & perhaps I did not get the best deal.
    In Laos, it cost LAK 10,000 for the SIM and 10,000 for a weeks data. Total THB 75. I spent another 10,000 a week later to extend the package. Good value in Laos.

Following Christian's advice, perhaps I should check roaming costs for my Thai True SIM in neighbouring countries. The website for True is also a mess. Possibly to prevent too many customers finding their best offers.

Another piece of stupidity with the True website is package renewal. I have to wait until the previous package has expired before purchasing the renewal. If I renew on the last day, the new package starts immediately & I lose a day. So I have to turn off data on the last day & renew on the first day of the next month using hotel wifi.

Liked

In my opinion the airport purchase is always the most expensive. Cheapest is to get the barest cost package as possible from streetside shop, then top-up and enter whatever the code is for your chosen package, which are shown on the telco's website.

Having said that, the bits of instructions that come with the SIM, and the websites themselves, are rarely remotely adequate so the airport option, being oriented to tourists, will get you online with minimum fuss.

Choice between cheapness and convenience.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (October 20th, 2019), goji (October 21st, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by greenman View Post
    In my opinion the airport purchase is always the most expensive.
    I suspect you are right. In Bangkok, I always bought a Sim in Silom, as I know there are professional phone stores open until at least 20:00.
    In Cambodia, I bought at the airport, as it might take quite a long walk to find a good downtown phone store. Plenty of skanky shops, but it was more convenient to get one at the airport.

Incidentally, True has an option to keep your SIM alive for up to a year for a small payment. So I tried that and will see if it works when I arrive back in Thailand. If all goes to plan, I can set up my package before boarding the plane to Thailand.