Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Motorcycles, motorcycle taxis and insurance in Thailand

Banned
    Liked

Re: What to do in Pattaya for 8 days - gay bars recommendations?

All quite correct. However, your license has a limitation imposed on Category A, as indicated by code 79.03 in column 12; that you can ride a machine of unlimited engine size and unrestricted speed, as long as it is a tricycle.

If you had received training and passed a test to qualify for riding a motorbike, as defined by Category A, you would not have that limitation of code 79.03.

Banned
    Liked

It all sounds highly erotic MiniMee and reminiscent of that line in The Killing of Sister George when Beryl Reid at a party is asked why she always looks so cheerful riding around on her motorcycle and responds "Wouldn't you look happy with 50cc throbbing between your legs?"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Well now on googling said restriction you are correct in that I can drive that 125cc bike no problem, just as long as it's a tricycle, I'll be sure to let my renter in Pattaya know that piece of key information now so he can amend my bookings accordingly.......as there's a ton of those 3 wheeled tricycles whizzing about pattaya ALL the time there days now of course .....

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    This is only my experience.

The International Driving Permit does not actually permit you to ride a motorbike in Thailand unless it specifically says so. And the UK licence requires you to take a separate motorbike test.

I had a little bit of a ding ding with a policeman several years ago when he informed me of that. Upshot, I paid the fine and bought an online permit.
    Quite correct, arsenal. If you don't have a license to drive a motorbike/motorcycle at home then you don't have permission to drive one in Thailand. Also if you have an International Driving Permit you should also carry your home country license with you while driving.
    Not sure what you mean by an online permit? A learner's permit?

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy
    there's a ton of those 3 wheeled tricycles whizzing about pattaya ALL the time there days now of course .....
    There are indeed:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Motorcycles, motorcycle taxis and insurance in Thailand

I haven't got the necessary food hygiene certificates to enable me to operate one of those.....mind you I'm guessing the average Thai hasn't either so it would all probably balance out.....

Banned
    Liked

You could try one of these. Although I would advise against wearing a balaclava and suggest that you moderate your accent, or you might get arrested on sus of a suicide mission.

The beauty of these vehicles is that, whilst they have 3 wheels, I believe they are also (self) limited to 28mph. Your insurers should be delighted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Alternatively if you are too much a sissy to ride on the back of a motorcycle taxi you could ask them to lead and you jog along behind them to find your way.
    Then you would be at MORE of a risk of actual injury by heart attack and REALLY need med insurance. Never was I worried about accident.

However I WAS concerned standing on the rear bumper of a baht bus, worried about a rear engine collision on my legs. Hopefully this practice is still outlawed?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Funny you mention that as my mate was in Patts at songkran and mentioned that he was pulled up and told to get off the back rail and move to the inside of the baht bus for the first time ever this trip. I'm assuming he meant told off by the driver and not the police perhaps as I'm guessing the latter would have resulted in an on the spot contribution to the officers child's education fund !

So, as we're being very careful today with regards to insurance and licences etc have we answered the question of "so are we covered to ride as a PASSENGER on a MB taxi anyway !?" And also if we are I'm assuming that that is only based on the fact that the driver is properly licensed and insured and I just wonder how many times THEIR documents are checked - and by whom and if all is not in order is a small contribution there too is enough to secure a coloured jacket or if stopped a small fee enough for a quick wave on to happen and meaning perhaps no documents ever even exist / existed in the first place !?

The more I read the more it seems sensible for one to WALK ( or just stay home perhaps !)

10. User who gave Like to post:

francois (April 29th, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dab69 View Post
    However I WAS concerned standing on the rear bumper of a baht bus, worried about a rear engine collision on my legs. Hopefully this practice is still outlawed?
    Perhaps you could essay a practical test?