Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Retirement Visa

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Retirement Visa

Quote Originally Posted by maump View Post
    The catch 22 I keep seeing is the Thai bank account. You need to be resident with lease to get an account, you need to have an account with 800k for XX months to get a Visa. so you need to have a visa to get an account, you need an account to get a visa.

what is the timeline/method for this that I am missing?
    A bank account is easy to obtain but sometimes requires a bit of patience.

Just select the bank where you want to have your account...if they refuse to open one for you because you're not a resident just go back a day later and talk to a different bank agent, or just go to a different branch of the same bank. Just like everything else in Thailand, no two people interpret the rules the same way.

I was turned down twice at Kasikorn Bank years ago - and the third time I walked into the very same branch they opened my account without batting an eye. Typical Thailand!

Years later I opened a second account at Bangkok Bank and they never even asked if I was a resident.

TIT

2. User who gave Like to post:

maump (December 14th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by maump View Post
    The catch 22 I keep seeing is the Thai bank account. You need to be resident with lease to get an account, you need to have an account with 800k for XX months to get a Visa. so you need to have a visa to get an account, you need an account to get a visa.

what is the timeline/method for this that I am missing?
    If you already have a Non-Immigrant Visa and are applying for a one year retirement extension, then the 800k must have been on deposit 2 months before your application at Immigration.

But, if you entered Visa Exempt or on a Tourist Visa and are applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa for retirement, the 800k only has to be on deposit with no time period required (this is at Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, it could be different at other Immigration Offices). When the Visa is approved, you will receive a 90 day permission to stay from the date of issue. After 60 days, you can apply for the one year extension - by that time, the 800k will have been on deposit the required 60 days to qualify for the extension.

4. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (December 13th, 2022), francois (December 15th, 2022), maump (December 14th, 2022)

Liked

I did not wade through all the posts here, so if this already has been covered, my apologies.

There is another way to get both a Thai bank account and the retirement visa if you are having any difficulty getting them on your own. That is to use a reputable visa service. They can also get you a driving license if you need it.

I always recommend Mots Services. They are reputable, reliable, and reasonably priced. I suggest checking them out. Everyone I know who has used them has been greatly pleased and happy with the results.

Even I intend to use them next time I need to renew my driving license. I have always done it on my own, but it is a major pain and hassle. Mots does the whole thing for you and all you have to do is show up to take the vision and reaction time tests. Their fee is 3000 baht - less than you probably would spend for one evening in a go-go bar paying for your drinks, "drink for boy", the off fee, and the boy's tip - to me well worth it to be relieved of all the hassle.

https://www.mots-services.com

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (December 15th, 2022), Dodger (December 15th, 2022), maump (December 15th, 2022)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Gaybutton View Post

I always recommend Mots Services. They are reputable, reliable, and reasonably priced. I suggest checking them out. Everyone I know who has used them has been greatly pleased and happy with the results.

https://www.mots-services.com
    Thanks to GayButton - I have used Mots Services. In fact, I just returned from their office this morning - as I need to do my first 90 day report with immigration. The first one needs to be done manually and then successive 90 day reports can be done online - which I will attempt to do 90 days from now.

I have successfully used Mots Services for:
    - Non "O" retirement visa,
    - Open Thai bank account with Bangkok Bank,
    - Obtaining my Thai motorcycle driving license

This morning we are starting the process to convert my Hungarian car driving license to a Thai car driving license.

8. User who gave Like to post:

maump (December 15th, 2022)