Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Retirement Visa

Liked

Re: Retirement Visa

Quote Originally Posted by goji View Post
    He's a fine example of why Thailand probably should be ensuring retired people are solvent.
    The problem lies elsewhere, I would put it:
    ...should be ensuring Foreigners do not become a burden to Thai society.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (May 31st, 2019), goji (June 5th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kjun12 View Post
    Your post is a bit obnoxious considering that your figures are so wrong. The want 800,000 baht in a Thai bank (19,762.06 pounds) and while we may not be starving it is difficult to tie up that much money. Additionally, they want the money in the bank for most of the year. Not 3 months.
    Re the figures you can take that up perhaps with Dab69 re his post No 21 above as THAT is the post to which I was replying ( correctly) and my reply to that was certainly not obnoxious and I stand by it. It's not unreasonable for ANY Country to ask and expect their expats to be able to pay their own way in terms of medical insurance and having enough to live in their country to a certain minimum standard over a period of time.

I accept that the 800,000 baht figure as mentioned by others if of course higher than the figures Dab69 mentions, however I would suggest ( as I've said before on other posts) that if thinking of relocating to a different county and after a life time of saving / working / selling your house or your ass or whatever I would think HAVING that 800,000 tucked away might not be THAT impossible for most people.

There's nothing obnoxious about that view, it's just a fact as I see it.

I do realise that not every has and as I've said before those people I feel for, but it's really not the Thai ( or any ) Governments fault or problem to legislate for same otherwise where do they stop - surely ?

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Dodger (December 11th, 2022), goji (June 1st, 2019)

Liked

Renewed my visa extension today. Took all day and was a pain in the butt.

Happy that the OP got his so easily.
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

As someone who lives here on a 1 year visa extension I enjoy hearing the experiences of others either renewing theirs or those interested in applying for one the first time however, most that insist on commenting are neither, hence their input is rather meaningless.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Question: Is the retirement visa better or buying the Thai Elite visa ?

The Elite visa seems less of a hassle and comes with other perks.

Thoughts ?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie1978 View Post
    Question: Is the retirement visa better or buying the Thai Elite visa ?

The Elite visa seems less of a hassle and comes with other perks.

Thoughts ?
    If by chance you can arrange to have 65,000 THB deposited in a Thai bank on a consistent basis after retirement I would recommend doing the routine annual visa extension. If you do this it would be better to obtain the visa in your home country (O-Visa) otherwise you will have to have proof of heath insurance as well if you apply for the visa in Thailand (O-A Visa).

If you can't comply with the 65,000 THB/month scheme, then it's a matter of weighing out the inconvenience of maintaining 800k of your savings in a Thai bank to get your visa renewed each year - or spending the big bucks for the convenience offered by the Elite Visa.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Dodger View Post
    If by chance you can arrange to have 65,000 THB deposited in a Thai bank on a consistent basis after retirement I would recommend doing the routine annual visa extension. If you do this it would be better to obtain the visa in your home country (O-Visa) otherwise you will have to have proof of heath insurance as well if you apply for the visa in Thailand (O-A Visa).

If you can't comply with the 65,000 THB/month scheme, then it's a matter of weighing out the inconvenience of maintaining 800k of your savings in a Thai bank to get your visa renewed each year - or spending the big bucks for the convenience offered by the Elite Visa.
    Dodger, I believe you are wrong about obtaining an O visa in your home country and an O-A visa in Thailand. It is best/easiest to get an O visa in Thailand with no need for health insurance. The O-A visa is normally gotten in home country and requires health insurance.
    Also I would think it is more convenient to maintain 800,00o Baht in a Thai bank (assuming you have 800,000 Baht) than monthly deposits of 65,000 Baht which must be shown as internationally transfers.

10. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (December 14th, 2022)

Liked

Up here in Chiang Mai, it seems that you can come in either on a Visa Waiver or a Tourist Visa (single or multiple) and then convert to a NON-O. This can then become an extension of stay. Personally I wouldn't risk the Visa Waiver route from a time perspective, but the Tourist Visa way is very straightforward assuming that you have, or can have, Bht800,000 in a Thai account.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post

Dodger, I believe you are wrong about obtaining an O visa in your home country and an O-A visa in Thailand.
    Opps...

Sorry for the confusion... I had that backwards.

Good catch.

Liked

The catch 22 I keep seeing is the Thai bank account. You need to be resident with lease to get an account, you need to have an account with 800k for XX months to get a Visa. so you need to have a visa to get an account, you need an account to get a visa.

what is the timeline/method for this that I am missing?