List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Chiang Mai like these days?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: What's Chiang Mai like these days?

On the plus side I'm guessing the queue for the Flight of the Gibbon Slide is very short these days !

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Jellybean (April 17th, 2019), Manforallseasons (April 17th, 2019)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Not true! Only CM & BKK.......You are always quick to comment but actually when was your last visit here? A bit like Scottish me thinks!
    I thought you were always forecasting the imminent end of Sunee Plaza as well. Change happens, but it needn't always be assumed that it is for the worst.

I was in the Chiang Mai area two years ago for a month, and posted afterwards recommending accommodation and a massage venue. The demise of Adam's Apple is also exaggerated, it may not be as good as at it's peak, but it was still a fun place to visit. No khatoey show when I was there. As posted above, the newish Ram Bar and the adjacent Secrets were always entertaining.

To write that all Chiang Mai has going for it is the temples is just silly! When were you last there?

You also never responded to the poster who asked how current your visit was, on which you based your assessment of the failing Bangkok gay scene.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Hi Brad, thanks for your ongoing concern, as for BKK last visit was about the time the New Jupiter was having it’s one year anniversary as for Sunee it’s demise appears at least for the moment to be on hold however, my only concern for Sunee is that Nice Boys continues to thrive.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Patanawet View Post
    Our only problem was the lack of gay bars without spending 300 Baht in a Tuk Tuk.
    We spent every night in RAM BAR with it's fabulous shows and then next door to secrets Bar for a later drink.
    Depends where you were staying of course, but 300 Bt fr a Tuk Tuk in and around the city is very excessive, even with today's inflated prices.

Grab is the way to go in Chiang Mai. Much cheaper, efficient and modern air con cars. You can usually get a car within a few minutes, even late at night, including from more out of the way places like Adam's Apple. Just don't book to or from somewhere where a load of tuk tuks hang out

Even if the farang/tourist gay scene is not what it was 15 years ago, Chiang Mai still has a lot going on, especially online via the apps. Just avoid late Feb to Late April when the pollution is terrible and it's ridiculously hot. Things start to improve after the Mango rains in May.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (April 18th, 2019), splinter1949 (April 19th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BonTong View Post

Grab is the way to go in Chiang Mai. Much cheaper, efficient and modern air con cars. You can usually get a car within a few minutes, even late at night, including from more out of the way places like Adam's Apple.
    Thanks BonTong for the GRAB tip.
    We were staying within metres of RAM so that was very handy.
    I really miss the bars in 'Sleaze Alley' and by the climbing frame and before that when they were downstairs in the Night Bazaar.
    Here in Bangkok we are chasing your temperatures with today's forecast being 38!

8. User who gave Like to post:

BonTong (April 20th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by extronaut View Post
    Last time I was there was December 14.

A decent serve of Street food would be 100-200 baht.
    December 2014? I have been more recent, but only short stays, as CM is not my cup of tea (the problem is abysmal public transport for a city of that size).

That sounds awfully expensive for street food. In Bangkok and in Pattaya I pay between 40 and 60 THB for a meal. The prices you quote are for Phuket, or we are talking about different things.

Liked

Street food in Chiang Mai is excellent. The price vary between 35 and 45 bahts, shrimp or not or talay food, with an extra 5 bahts for an egg. and usually very good quality.

Transport has been resolved by Grab, cheap, fast , clean, AC and reliable.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

billyhouston (April 21st, 2019), BonTong (April 21st, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat View Post
    Over Xmas I tried to persuade friends planning to visit Chiang Mai late March the weather was shocking , Pattaya and Bangkok in Jan both had cloudy skies with sunlight getting through in patches .Things did not seem to be improving Clear sky was seen for maybe a few hours daily and probably Jomtien Beach was perhaps the clearest weather. I had heard that things had not improved much
    My friend staying on the beach reported that even the sky over the Jomtien beach was becoming cloudy towards the end of January.
    Did not hear from my friends, but they had decided to go to CM anyway and have been there for 10 days.
    Today they have moved out of CM losing the balance of rent paid in advance, as their health was starting to be impacted.
    They are looking at staying the balance of their trip on an island, yet to be decided on.
    I have heard nothing about Bangkok weather maybe it has improved but CM is really bad.
    The weather in Chiang Mai is still poor. Not mentioned by posters so maybe they are talking of past visits.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat View Post
    The weather in Chiang Mai is still poor. Not mentioned by posters so maybe they are talking of past visits.
    Obviously! Unless they are psychic. As Bontong, who lives there, wrote, avoid late February until late April. Do you know more than that?!

Does Lupins have a branch there giving you the updates?

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Does Lupins have a branch there giving you the updates?
    What's a dedicated pattayaphile doing in Chiang Mai? On his way to visit the cave?