List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Chiang Mai like these days?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

What's Chiang Mai like these days?

Last time I was there was December 14.

Back then it was pretty chilled. I could see then that tourism was taking over though.

Used to be able to get 1 hour Traditional Thai Massage for 200 baht, which I did most days. A decent serve of Street food would be 100-200 baht. There were lots of bars, many of them made of corrugated iron.

I imagine if I were to go back nowadays, I'd find much more stuff made of concrete. I expect I'd also find that most things are a bit more expensive now.

Am I wrong?

Liked

Re: What's Chiang Mai like these days?

The problem in Chiang Mai these days is air pollution. This has been a serious crisis for some time now and as usual the Thais refuse to seriously deal with it. The pollution is caused by burning of plant material left after harvest and clearing Forrest for more crops. The absolute stupidity of Thai people rages on.
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked

Kjun12 the burning season is over, isn't it?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kjun12 View Post
    The problem in Chiang Mai these days is air pollution.
    We have just returned from the first two Songkran days in Chiang Mai.
    Absolutely NO PROBLEM of pollution in the town. Very few people using smog masks.
    In the far distance the mountains looked misty.
    We went to the Queen Sirikit Botanical Gardens in the foothills -- again no problem with pollution.
    At the gardens, there was no problem with dual pricing for us -- the cashier at the entrance said "you two are so old you can go in for free!"
    The only charge was 100 Baht for the car and driver.
    Our only problem was the lack of gay bars without spending 300 Baht in a Tuk Tuk.
    We spent every night in RAM BAR with it's fabulous shows and then next door to secrets Bar for a later drink.
    Temperature at the moment reported to be 41. Yes it was bleedin' hot.
    Are you speaking from personal observation kjun12?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Patanawet View Post
    Our only problem was the lack of gay bars without spending 300 Baht in a Tuk Tuk.
    We spent every night in RAM BAR with it's fabulous shows and then next door to secrets Bar for a later drink.
    Depends where you were staying of course, but 300 Bt fr a Tuk Tuk in and around the city is very excessive, even with today's inflated prices.

Grab is the way to go in Chiang Mai. Much cheaper, efficient and modern air con cars. You can usually get a car within a few minutes, even late at night, including from more out of the way places like Adam's Apple. Just don't book to or from somewhere where a load of tuk tuks hang out

Even if the farang/tourist gay scene is not what it was 15 years ago, Chiang Mai still has a lot going on, especially online via the apps. Just avoid late Feb to Late April when the pollution is terrible and it's ridiculously hot. Things start to improve after the Mango rains in May.
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

francois (April 18th, 2019), splinter1949 (April 19th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by BonTong View Post

Grab is the way to go in Chiang Mai. Much cheaper, efficient and modern air con cars. You can usually get a car within a few minutes, even late at night, including from more out of the way places like Adam's Apple.
    Thanks BonTong for the GRAB tip.
    We were staying within metres of RAM so that was very handy.
    I really miss the bars in 'Sleaze Alley' and by the climbing frame and before that when they were downstairs in the Night Bazaar.
    Here in Bangkok we are chasing your temperatures with today's forecast being 38!

8. User who gave Like to post:

BonTong (April 20th, 2019)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

The problem with CM is that it’s rather vibrant gay scene has become quite dismal to say the least, it has become a favorite of Chinese tour groups not much else except for the temples now.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    The problem with CM is that it’s rather vibrant gay scene has become quite dismal to say the least, it has become a favorite of Chinese tour groups not much else except for the temples now.
    According to you all gay night life in Thailand has become dismal, to say the least!

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    According to you all gay night life in Thailand has become dismal, to say the least!
    Not true! Only CM & BKK.......You are always quick to comment but actually when was your last visit here? A bit like Scottish me thinks!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

12. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (April 17th, 2019), Patanawet (April 17th, 2019)

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Not true! Only CM & BKK.......You are always quick to comment but actually when was your last visit here? A bit like Scottish me thinks!
    I thought you were always forecasting the imminent end of Sunee Plaza as well. Change happens, but it needn't always be assumed that it is for the worst.

I was in the Chiang Mai area two years ago for a month, and posted afterwards recommending accommodation and a massage venue. The demise of Adam's Apple is also exaggerated, it may not be as good as at it's peak, but it was still a fun place to visit. No khatoey show when I was there. As posted above, the newish Ram Bar and the adjacent Secrets were always entertaining.

To write that all Chiang Mai has going for it is the temples is just silly! When were you last there?

You also never responded to the poster who asked how current your visit was, on which you based your assessment of the failing Bangkok gay scene.