Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine dining in Pattaya

Liked

Re: Fine dining in Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    it's one of the many Hawker Chan restaurants trading off the reputation of the one in Singapore - the one that actually does have the Michelin star.
    Yes, that's the one I was thinking of.

(Frequent, sorry but I think I may have inadvertently edited some of your OP above, as I clicked on Edit Post instead of Reply with Quote. I'll have to stop posting using my phone!)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Yes, that's the one I was thinking of.

(Frequent, sorry but I think I may have inadvertently edited some of your OP above, as I clicked on Edit Post instead of Reply with Quote. I'll have to stop posting using my phone!)
    No apologies needed - lonelywombat will be along shortly to insist I made it all up. I know I'm not supposed to use the phrase but I just can't help myself - so needy

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The Hawker Chan in the Royal Garden Centre had closed when I was last there in February. A new one has opened in Terminus 21. P. likes it for a quick lunch. I don't. As I've said elsewhere, there are a staggering number of restaurants in the new shopping mall, only a few of which replicate those in Central. However, none came anywhere close to being "fine dining" as far as I could see.
    The Chinese place in 2nd Road nearby used to be popular with its shark fin shop next door; nowadays it seems very quiet. I'm happy to see the demise of any establishment selling sharks' fins.

4. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (March 29th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    there are a staggering number of restaurants in the new shopping mall, only a few of which replicate those in Central. However, none came anywhere close to being "fine dining" as far as I could see.
    Well. I'm glad that someone else was thinking it too, as whilst you're there are referring to the Mall Oliver in my time dining in the likes of the "famous" Cafe Des Ameis and all the rest of such places, short of having perhaps a clean / cleaner table cloth and a more expensive bill at the end of the meal then other options I've never really considered them "actual" fine dining establishments ( even thought THEY and Patts ex pats may like to think of them as such so they forget they're living in Pattaya for a short while ( understandable).

So maybe if you're out for western food and fancy some place better than some local Thai kitchen place then sure, why not if that's what you're looking for, but "fine dining" they ain't IMHO. As half time interspersed perhaps between some nice meat dishes ( and even thats 50/50 sometimes) you still can end up with some weird version of a veg dish or whatever etc that just simply doesn't work with the dish and all because someone in the kitchen just didn't know know how to prepare or serve it. Or as freaky mentioned above you perhaps order some "classic" dish only again to find it fucked up as they simply don't know ( or care) how it should actually be cooked or served or what the ingredients are that MUST be in it to give the dish it's name etc and that they simply can't just subsistute one of the dishes critical ingredients for some random other and then when you query what happened just reply "oh sorry, not have" etc.

With the only nod to "fine dining" then being your waiter may ( or may not) bring you some break, plus have been told to tuck their shirt in before serving you and there will be some manager hanging around like a bad smell waiting to write up a larger than should be bill for the "quality" of the food you actually received along with some vastly over priced but highly underrated wine added on to that perhaps. All IMHO opinion of course and I'm SURE others will disagree but for me when in Pattaya I generally avoid such places like the plague now just.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    All IMHO opinion of course and I'm SURE others will disagree but for me when in Pattaya I generally avoid such places like the plague now just.
    Where do you dine, Nirish guy, when in Pattaya?

Forum's veteran Brad the Impala's Avatar
    Liked

Or as freaky mentioned above you perhaps order some "classic" dish only again to find it fucked up as they simply don't know ( or care) how it should actually be cooked or served or what the ingredients are that MUST be in it to give the dish it's name etc and that they simply can't just subsistute one of the dishes critical ingredients for some random other and then when you query what happened just reply "oh sorry, not have" etc.
    Reminds me of a "Chicken Supreme" that I had in a high end western style restaurant in Havana. The only ingredient that the served dish had in common with the normal recipe was the chicken! When I queried it I was told proudly that it was "Cuban Chicken Supreme".

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Brad the Impala View Post
    Reminds me of a "Chicken Supreme" that I had in a high end western style restaurant in Havana. The only ingredient that the served dish had in common with the normal recipe was the chicken! When I queried it I was told proudly that it was "Cuban Chicken Supreme".
    Cuban restaurants are truly among the world's worst, largely because of the very poor quality ingredients available to the kitchens. Add to that the insult of prices that are artificially inflated by enforced use of the tourist-only currency and the experience leaves - both figuratively and literally - a very bad taste in the mouth.

Anyone have any more suggestions re. my original query about "high end" Pattaya restaurants?
    "The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    There are many good restaurants however, other than select restaurants at the Dusit, Royal Cliff and Cafe Des Amies gourmet cuisine is not in abundance.
    Doesn't fine dining/gourmet cuisine serve a niche market and is therefore not meant to be "in abundance", certainly not in a sleazy beach town such as Pattaya?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Where do you dine, Nirish guy, when in Pattaya?
    I dont' "dine" when I'm in Pattaya - I eat - and just wherever the mood takes me, nowhere specific.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 30th, 2019), frequent (March 30th, 2019)

Liked

I dont' "dine" when I'm in Pattaya - I eat - and just wherever the mood takes me, nowhere specific.

Meaning of dine in English

dine
    verb [ I ] UK ​ /daɪn/ US ​ /daɪn/ formal

to eat the main meal of the day, usually in the evening: Cambridge Dictionary

You should try some of the suggestions for dining as presented in this post.
    Maybe you would change your mind concerning what is available?

Or you may wish to try Murphy's Irish Pub, 136/1, Moo 10, Soi Khao Noi, Pattaya, Chonburi. Their special is a large bowl of Beef Stew for only 195 Baht.