Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fine dining in Pattaya

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Fine dining in Pattaya

One of the great pleasures of visiting Thailand is, I think, the opportunity to experience fine dining at prices much less than would be charged in Europe. On my last visit I sampled two Michelin-starred Bangkok restaurants - L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon and Suhring and had wonderful experiences at both (but especially Suhring).

As far as I know, no Pattaya restaurant has ever held a Michelin star, but over the years I have eaten some cleverly-conceived, wonderfully-cooked and exquisitely presented meals at, among others, Casa Pascal (though sadly it's gone a little down-market in recent years), Bruno's, Mata Hari (sadly no longer with us) and Café des Amis (which, I recall, was the favourite of one late and singularly unlamented owner of this board).

Next month I will be in Pattaya again and would like to add some new culinary experiences of the upmarket fine-dining variety to my schedule. Apart from the places I've named already, can anyone suggest any other similar venues worth a try?

[P.S. This should not be taken as yet another opportunity to plug Yupins!]

"The fruits of peace and tranquility... are the greatest goods... while those of its opposite, strife, are unbearable evils. Hence we ought to wish for peace, to seek it if we do not already have it, to conserve it once it is attained, and to repel with all our strength the strife which is opposed to it. To this end individual[s]... and in even greater degree groups and communities are obliged to help one another... from the bond or law of human society." [Marsilio dei Mainardini (c.1275-1342), Defensor Pacis]

2. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 30th, 2019)

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Fine dining in Pattaya

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Next month I will be in Pattaya again and would like to add some new culinary experiences of the upmarket fine-dining variety to my schedule. Apart from the places I've named already, can anyone suggest any other similar venues worth a try?

[P.S. This should not be taken as yet another opportunity to plug Yupins!]
    Bruno’s is still open and is up for sale. The demographics of Pattaya have changed greatly since the likes of Mata Hari thrived. There are many good restaurants however, other than select restaurants at the Dusit, Royal Cliff and Cafe Des Amies gourmet cuisine is not in abundance.
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

4. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (March 29th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    There are many good restaurants however, other than select restaurants at the Dusit, Royal Cliff and Cafe Des Amies gourmet cuisine is not in abundance.
    Doesn't fine dining/gourmet cuisine serve a niche market and is therefore not meant to be "in abundance", certainly not in a sleazy beach town such as Pattaya?

Liked

Au Bon Coin is a good choice.

7. User who gave Like to post:

snotface (March 29th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

And of course there is always Deli Diner. Popular with some here !!

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Och aye. Great haggis the noo, ya big jessie

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    NOT fine dining!

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    NOT fine dining!
    You can't expect someone who spends his working life as a commercial traveler to know that!

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    I've never been able to find where to get a visa for that other country, Pattaya, but in Thailand my most typical dining experience was breakfast at then Queen's Park Hotel, now Marriott's Marquis Queen's Park, Bangkok. My companion ordered Eggs Benedict. The standard way to serve it, according to my enormously close friend Mr Google, is on an English muffin, although I suppose toast of some sort might be a (poor) substitute. At QP it came with neither, but it was accompanied by a lot of french fries. Fine dining, Thai style!

Yes, Pattaya is another country according to our Forum Legend and Pattayaphile:
    Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat View Post
    You have never been to Thailand or Pattaya ....

Liked

Marsilius wrote:

As far as I know, no Pattaya restaurant has ever held a Michelin star
    As I recall, there is a one-star Chinese restaurant (dim sum) right next to Royal Garden on Beach Road.

Don't tell me it has closed already!