Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Soi Twilights Banana Bar to close March 29th

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Soi Twilights Banana Bar to close March 29th

The Rome Club achieved notoriety by banning gays. Predictably, it soon closed.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    The Soi 4 bar is wholly inside though, isn't it? It's done up like a high-class knocking shop. However, your traditional first evening in future can be Banana Bar on 4, dinner at Telephone or Balcony or any other of the half-dozen restaurants there, followed by a visit to the "sticky rice" gogo bar Jupiter
    Freaky reading other peoples posts and pretending to claim you have been here..We know you haven't . It is becoming more obvious as time rolls on.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat View Post
    Freaky reading other peoples posts and pretending to claim you have been here..We know you haven't . It is becoming more obvious as time rolls on.
    There’s no pulling the wool over the eyes of a practising pattayaphile like you, lonelywombat. It only seems like yesterday that I was posting that I’ve never left Houston, let alone traveled abroad. Perhaps you missed it? Too busy thinking about the amount of time the Grade 8 boys take out of my time I’ll wager - your concern for my welfare does you proud

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    There’s no pulling the wool over the eyes of a practising pattayaphile like you, lonelywombat. It only seems like yesterday that I was posting that I’ve never left Houston, let alone traveled abroad. Perhaps you missed it? Too busy thinking about the amount of time the Grade 8 boys take out of my time I’ll wager - your concern for my welfare does you proud
    Freaky who cares what you have done, where you live,what job you are working in now, nobody believes you.
    Your aim was to destroy Sawatdee by becoming the dominating contributor.
    You draw down on other posts to create your own
    Maybe if you shut up REAL PEOPLE may return to this forum
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    The Rome Club achieved notoriety by banning gays. Predictably, it soon closed.
    Rome club.
    That was the one. It was so many years ago i dont remember much about the trip.
    It sounds egotistic but damn i was hot 32 years ago and was having fun with lots of thai guys on that trip in 1987. Sadly i am not like fine wine.. i have aged but gotten a bit more vinegary. I lie to myself and say i am now like balsamic vinegar.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Nirish guy (April 13th, 2019)

Liked

I don't recall The Rome Club, kittyboy, perhaps it ended before I started holidaying out in Thailand, which I think was 2003 or 2004. But speaking of trips, from what you say, it sounds like Thailand in the 80’s was a bit like the 60’s in the USA and UK where it is said, if you remember the 60’s, then you weren’t there.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'm not surprised you don't remember it....my first visit to BKK was in 1998 and Rome had fallen well-before then. I only knew of it from the excellent gay guide I carried with me, in which the author crowed over its demise. In those days, the telephones on each table in The Telephone actually worked!

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat View Post
    Freaky who cares what you have done, where you live,what job you are working in now, nobody believes you. Your aim was to destroy Sawatdee by becoming the dominating contributor. You draw down on other posts to create your own. Maybe if you shut up REAL PEOPLE may return to this forum
    if you’re ever in Houston you could maybe lend a hand with the junior swimming lessons. I understand that’s an Australian speciality

Liked

I'm not surprised you don't remember it....my first visit to BKK was in 1998 and Rome had fallen well-before then. I only knew of it from the excellent gay guide I carried with me, in which the author crowed over its demise. In those days, the telephones on each table in The Telephone actually worked!
    Thanks for the information Oliver2.

Your mention of the year 1998 prompted me to look at my only copy of the international gay guide, Spartacus, which coincidentally is for the year ‘98/99.

It has a small entry for Rome Club and it mentions a few others, which are still with us and some I have heard mentioned on this forum. And Twilight Bar is listed, from which I assume soi bprà-dtuu-chai got its nick name. I thought members might be interested in reading some of the reviews:

Rome Club
    90-96 Silom Road. May reopen as a gay club.

Twilight Bar
    38-40 Surawong Road. Go-go bar with the usual show. One of the oldest bars and probably the sleaziest but still popular. First drink is B200.

Screw Boys
    Patpong 2, Surawong Road. (Next to Pink Panther, opposite KFC) Go Go shows.

Barbiery
    35/3-5 Surawong Road. Gogo bar. Drink B150. Staff speaks English.

Jupiter
    31/1-33 Surawong Road. (Next to Suriwong Hotel) Lively A-go-go bar, good shows.

Telephone
    114/11 Soi 4 Silom Road. Bar and restaurant. All tables equipped with telephone to ring guys at other tables. Excellent food (Thai and Western). Most popular with Thais and Westerners. Beware the free-lancers.

D. J. Station
    8/6-8 Silom Road. Very popular, high energy disco. No free-lancers.

Source: Spartacus International Gay Guide '98/99

Liked

My first visit to BKK, Chiang Mai, and Pattaya was in 1987. I don't remember all the gay venues ..just recollections of having a good time.
    I do seem to recall in 1987 (it could have been on a later trip) going to the telephone bar..etc. God that was 32 years ago!

I started making regular trips to Thailand in the 1990s. As I recall my first trip to Babylon Sauna was around 1992-3. If I recall correctly it was on the same soi but a different building? Is that correct? A taller building? Or is it in the same location but they remodeled extensively?

I also stayed at some gay guesthouse (Aquarius?) that was a residence converted into a guesthouse. As I recall I looked it up a few years ago and it closed due to some scandal?
    Damn my memory is off.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.