Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dating using dating apps

Liked

Re: Dating using dating apps

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    All this silliness about photos not matching the person can easily be avoided by both parties by using video call before they meet.
    CORRECT and I shall probably get around to trying this method. However:

1 I might not want a video chat if I am in a restaurant at the time. If he is at work, with friends or family, perhaps he does not want a video chat.

2 Telling him "you need to look exactly like your photo" works most of the time. I don't recall getting any that look nothing like the photo. This also prepares the ground for the next step:

3 Sending him packing with nothing if he looks nothing like the photo also works. This provides a nice feedback loop so he can learn deception doesn't work. Unlike the suckers who reward him for such fraud.

The difficult area is where he looks quite like his photo, but I missed something like a beer gut, for example. Obviously I cannot send him away with nothing in such circumstances. I usually go ahead with the date.

After visiting Pattaya for a few years, it also becomes easy to spot the ones who have been using the same photo for 5 years. Some in this category even have two or more profiles.

Liked

I use Planet Romeo occasionally when in Pattaya, although my boyfriends du jour are generally from gogo’s Or host bars. I’ve not experienced more than the occasional fraud photo. On PR I’ve saved in favourites quite a collection of boys, that I’ve been happy with, so if I log in several appear that I have experience with in the past and who are available.
    Also I can check favourites to see which boys or friends are in town but not logged on.
    I have to admit that my picture is seven years old so I cannot be too critical of others with this issue.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Daveuk View Post
    I’ve not experienced more than the occasional fraud photo.
    Unfortunately the boys are rather fond of what's often referred to as "photoshopping" their photos. Most often however they're using a photo they took with their phone. There are, so I'm told, a number of free Apps that, in particular, lighten the skin and make the subject appear younger. Some deliberately choose photos taken a few years ago. I sometimes have boys turn up and I think "Yes, I can see you are the same person but that photo doesn't give a good impression of what you are really like". To me a "fake" photo is of a completely different person; I can't remember the last time I had one of those turn up

Speaking of Photoshop, I'm wondering if anyone can produce an image of a wombat in a full gay leather outfit

Liked

I’m trying to think of what is a wombat - I’m guessing it’s some sort of Aussie animal !. As to one in full gay leather - I haven’t worn any of my gear for years.
    Seriously I think photos on PR often do not show the subjects, particularly Asian boys, to their best advantage. Using a mirror or selfie stick, which is common, does not produce a good picture. They would get a much better response by asking a friend to take pictures showing their whole body, not just head and shoulders. One boy who I have dated a number of times over the last couple of years who has an entry with full body photos told me that after logging onto PR he does not have to wait long before being able to set up a date.
    Maybe there’s a business opportunity for someone for a small fee to take photos, write a narrative and then load the entry online.

Liked

I agree that selfies are often not very flattering (which is why I never, ever take any of myself - but then David Bailey could probably not have taken a picture of me I would have liked). A couple of other pet hates on the apps. 1) The boys who show two or three almost identical pics of themselves, too similar even to enter in a Spot the Difference competition. 2) The boys who show a nice arse shot and then announce in their profile 'top only'.

I'm not a big user of the apps but have had generally good results. Although I admire as logical the opinion of those who pay nothing if a boy turns up totally unlike his pics, I'm not very good at that sort of thing myself. One was obviously someone else but he seemed pleasant enough and it turned out to be an okay experience. Another, who clearly was the same boy but who looked nowhere near as attractive as in his pics, got as far as my sofa, at which point I shook my head sadly, gave him 100 baht (maybe it was 200) and off he went. Embarrassing all round (yes, for him too I think).

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

dab69 (March 18th, 2019), francois (March 17th, 2019)

Liked

I extensively use Grindr when I am in LOS (and the USA).
    My experiences have been generally quite good. Especially in BKK. I have hooked up with quite a few guys. I am sure that over the years I have been disappointed but I tend to focus on the positive 95% of the time I have a good time and forget the 5% that were not good.

My experience is that in BKK there are quite a few guys who like older farang (59 in my case). My age range is from 25-45. Anyone in that range who is fit is an acceptable sex friend - I recall Christian's comment in another thread - something about giving them access to his body!!
    I like to think (in a delusional sense) that I am giving the fit 25-45 Thai crowd access to my hairy dad body - FOR FREE!!
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (March 30th, 2019), francois (March 25th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Unfortunately the boys are rather fond of what's often referred to as "photoshopping" their photos. Most often however they're using a photo they took with their phone. There are, so I'm told, a number of free Apps that, in particular, lighten the skin and make the subject appear younger. Some deliberately choose photos taken a few years ago. I sometimes have boys turn up and I think "Yes, I can see you are the same person but that photo doesn't give a good impression of what you are really like". To me a "fake" photo is of a completely different person; I can't remember the last time I had one of those turn up

Speaking of Photoshop, I'm wondering if anyone can produce an image of a wombat in a full gay leather outfit
    Of course you are just guessing as to what happens. You have never been to Thailand or Pattaya and make up your comments as if you have.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (March 28th, 2019), sglad (March 29th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by lonelywombat View Post
    Of course you are just guessing as to what happens. You have never been to Thailand or Pattaya and make up your comments as if you have.
    Blimey lonelywombat, eight broadly similar posts over eight topics! What on Earth has possessed you today? Can we assume that we all now know your views on the travel habits of frequent and that we can be spared further repetition of your views on this subject?

12. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (March 29th, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Jellybean View Post
    Blimey lonelywombat, eight broadly similar posts over eight topics! What on Earth has possessed you today? Can we assume that we all now know your views on the travel habits of frequent and that we can be spared further repetition of your views on this subject?
    Everyone needs a hobby

14. User who gave Like to post:

dinagam (March 28th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Everyone needs a hobby
    That includes the one amongst us.

16. User who gave Like to post:

gerefan2 (March 28th, 2019)