Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thailand Visits - 3-4 months

Liked

Thailand Visits - 3-4 months

My post is a visa/travel questions.

I am getting close to retiring and Thailand has its appeals - I am not sure I want to live in the LOS full time.
    My plan is to spend 3-4 months a year in the LOS to enjoy the warmer weather and of course the other attractions.

I have a USA passport - On arrival I get a 30 day visa waiver (that is my understanding) and most of my travels over the years have been for 20-30 days. However, now I am looking at stays of 90-120 days.
    What are my options? I think I can apply for an extension (?) of my visa waiver - What is the process? Spend a 1-3 thousand baht on an agent and they take care of it?
    The other option is to fly to Cambodia or other parts of SE Asia every 30 days but are there issued with immigration coming back into the LOS?

Thoughts on this would be appreciated. If your only thought is Google it - then keep that thought to yourself. I have Googled it and the information is confusing and contradictory. I may get confusing and contradictory answers here but I am happy to hear 1st person experiences from people who actually live and or travel to the LOS

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Liked

Re: Thailand Visits - 3-4 months

You arrive and get 30 days. Before theese ends you visit an immigration office and say you want to extend 30 more days. You pay 1900 baht for that. Then when 60 days are about to finish you visit a neighbouring country shortly and return to Thailand and repeat.

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

It you didn’t like the above reply try searching Yahoo....Lol
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Kitty
    I do exactly as you describe each year.
    I’m British so I can get a 90 day visa from the Thai Consulate in London before I,leave the UK. I imagine you can do the same in the US? You have to be over 50 and it’s called an O visa. I post my passport to London with the money £50 and form and it comes back in a week. Never a problem.

Google Thai Embassy USA and it should have all the info if it’s similar to the UK site

If I want a further 30 days I simply go on a “border run” from Pattaya on a mini bus. It’s fucking awful and a wasted day of your life but it’s the simplest way of getting a further 30 days. The bus usually leaves at 7 am and gets back at about 4 pm. Cost about 2000 Bt.you go to the Cambodian border, do the necessary and return.
    If you go to the Jomtien Immigration place as Wolzec describes, you only get a further 14 days (not 30) unless they have changed the rules.

You can of course fly somewhere each 30 days and get another 30 when you get back. More hassle, unless you really want to go, in my opinion.

I find 90 days enough. It escapes the Uk winter and I tire of Thailand after 90 days. I tried 120 but for me it’s too long.

Any questions let me know.

5. 4 Users gave Like to post:

Asia Traveler (February 13th, 2019), christianpfc (February 19th, 2019), GWMinUS (February 13th, 2019), Jellybean (February 13th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Kitty
    I do exactly as you describe each year.
    I’m British so I can get a 90 day visa from the Thai Consulate in London before I,leave the UK. I imagine you can do the same in the US? You have to be over 50 and it’s called an O visa. I post my passport to London with the money £50 and form and it comes back in a week. Never a problem.

Google Thai Embassy USA and it should have all the info if it’s similar to the UK site

If I want a further 30 days I simply go on a “border run” from Pattaya on a mini bus. It’s fucking awful and a wasted day of your life but it’s the simplest way of getting a further 30 days. The bus usually leaves at 7 am and gets back at about 4 pm. Cost about 2000 Bt.you go to the Cambodian border, do the necessary and return.
    If you go to the Jomtien Immigration place as Wolzec describes, you only get a further 14 days (not 30) unless they have changed the rules.

You can of course fly somewhere each 30 days and get another 30 when you get back. More hassle, unless you really want to go, in my opinion.

I find 90 days enough. It escapes the Uk winter and I tire of Thailand after 90 days. I tried 120 but for me it’s too long.

Any questions let me know.
    Thanks for the comments. I see the "O" Non Immigrant visa listed with the various requirements.

Another question - can a person convert a visa waiver on arrival to an "O" non immigrant visa after being in Thailand?

Thanks again for the information.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

No,the 90 day visa must be obtained outside Thialand prior to,travel. I think it says that in the FAQ on the UK website. I assume this is because you have to submit evidence of income so the right sort of person can scrutinise it. A copy of a few months bank statements will do provided it shows a regular income or pension.

I think you may be able to obtain a 60 day visa on arrival but I have never tried.

I emphasise “I Think”, I don’t know for sure!

Liked

AFAIK, only 30 days is given for visa on arrival.

Getting a tourist visa, TR, before you come will give 60 days.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by neddy3 View Post
    AFAIK, only 30 days is given for visa on arrival.

Getting a tourist visa, TR, before you come will give 60 days.
    No-you wont even be able to board plane-esp. from US, if nothing has been arranged before-either visum or ticket OUT in 30-days. TH is an ideal setoff point to visit more countries near. You could also arrange the 60 day tourist visa and do a trip out from day 59/60-and comeback and then get the 30 day waiver.
    IF you do decide to live here permamently, also stay the nasty hot+rainy season. If you opt,like me,for the 3-4 month choose 'cool'' season here, now.

Liked

Hi kittiboy. I did what you are planning to do before moving to Thailand full time. It's a good option - either as a permanent way of life or to help you decide if you want to live here full time.
    You can convert a 30 day exempt stamp to a 90 day visa (I have done it) but you probably won't want to because you need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account.
    I would suggest a tourist visa. You apply for this in your home country. It gives you 60 days on arrival and can be extended by 30 days (fee 1900 baht) to give you a total of 90 without leaving Thailand. Don't use an agent for this. It is a waste of money. Come back here for or ask around your farang friends in Thailand if you need advice on the procedure.
    You could then, if you wanted, take a side trip to a neighbouring country and get a further 30 days from a visa exempt on return to give a total of up to 120 days.

11. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Faranglaw (July 31st, 2019), travelerjim (February 17th, 2019)

Liked

Agree with what ceejay says. I have several friends in Chiang Mai who come for the winter and do the 60 day tourist visa plus extension/border run thing to stay long enough. November through February is the nice time to be in Chiang Mai. 60 day visa is easy (if you are not abusing the system) and has no requirements. You don't need a plane ticket or proof of funds [N.B. you could still be asked to show 20,000 bt in cash when you arrive in Thailand though.]

I don't know about elsewhere but am hearing good things about extensions at Chiang Mai immigration now they have a new office and streamlined system. Before, it was a nightmare (as gerefan says "a wasted day of your life" - at least on a border run you get to see some scenery). Only paperwork issue is they apparently now insist on you having a TM30 receipt to get the extension (TM30 receipt is the proof that your landlord or hotel has registered you at that address)
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

13. 2 Users gave Like to post:

llz (February 17th, 2019), travelerjim (February 17th, 2019)