NIrish I suspect it’s a compromise you are looking for. You cannot have it both ways. In simple terms either one leaves early with a smaller pension or one works until one drops for a larger one.

When I reached 50 I was advised that I could take a pension from a previous employer, who I had left 10 years earlier, and had been with since I was 18.Sure enough when I contacted them they said yes, but if you leave it another 10 years you will get double. There was also a lump sum which I wanted.

My policy after that decision was to take anything you are entitled to straight away as you have no idea what may happen tomorrow.

As I continued to work for my new employer, I paid additional voluntary contributions into their pension fund. A Big Mistake as when it came to pay out ( I got made redundant at 54) I got a pittance for those extra payments. I would have been far better off keeping that extra money myself.
It wasn’t all bad though as the redundancy money, the lump sum and the pension were all very acceptable.

So a few things:

I assume you own a house without a mortgage, or can pay it off when you cease work. If so that’s a big plus, no renting. If not then there’s a problem.

Secondly, work out if can you afford to stop working early, if so great. My redundancy at 54 was the best thing ever...

Finally,as you own a business, you will probably be able to meet my final point which is to have either a part time job or a good hobby. I’m fortunate in that I have a part time job for 1 or 2 days a week and can leave it for 3 months in the winter to stay in Thailand. The income from that little job pays for my recreational activities in Pattaya.

If only they knew!!