Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Passport ID card

Liked

Re: Passport ID card

Credit card size means it's scaled down by about 2? Difficult to read?

Quote Originally Posted by ceejay View Post
    One place where you must carry the actual passport is on a train. The railways have their own police force and they have, I believe, a policy of always arresting if you are caught without it. This is on the grounds that, if you are on a train then your passport is not readily available as it would be if it was in a condo or hotel room 10 minutes across town.

I have had my passport checked on a long distance train. The sleepers often have 1 or 2 railway police on them and, on a 12-14 hour journey, it gives them something to do.
    I have spent an estimated 30,000 km on the Thai railway network and don't remember having been asked for a passport! Most of these trips were staying in hotel, so I had my passport with me.

My experience:
    6 months of carrying my passport with me every day and having it stolen once (Songkran 2013).
    5 years of not carrying my passport with me and never been asked to see it on the street.
    For this experience, I leave my passport at home unless I know I need it.

Every time I enter Thailand, I take pictures of front page, entry stamp, exit card with my phone, but do not make a photocopy.

However on a recent trip (Khon Kaen, Mahasarakam), I forgot my passport at home. Fortunately, an expired German ID card was accepted for check-in in both hotels I stayed (my valid German ID card was safe at home, like my passport). For that reason, I might switch to carrying a paper copy with me all the time. And should it be necessary, I rather give a paper copy to someone who asks for it, than my mobile phone. The downside is that I have to make a new copy every time I enter Thailand (which is 60 days or less on tourist visa).

2. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (January 11th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post

The downside is that I have to make a new copy every time I enter Thailand (which is 60 days or less on tourist visa).
    I agree, Christian, the credit card size is difficult to read.

And a new copy every 60 days is not a big issue. Better than losing the passport.

4. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (January 11th, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by christianpfc View Post
    Scaled down? howso? Before my first trip of the year I photocopy the full size photo page of passport, on the back put my contact details in Thailand and UK with my Travel insurance details.....Company, email, current emergency numbers and policy number so Hospitals can treat me without delay (sometimes the difference between life/death/life changing results). Laminate it and when folded neatly in half is Credit Card size. It easily lasts a year between new travel insurance policy annual renewals. When I arrive in Thailand, the first hotel I stay photocopies the immigration slip on check-in which I keep in the middle of the folded plastic laminated passport copy. I have produced it only once in 15+ years, it was when our taxi in Bkk was stopped for 'official' police stop coming back from Rachada at 3am one time a few years ago. Officer just said as I handed copy, 'fine, where you going?' quick pat-down of pockets and was on our way.

When driving to Issan and around Thailand I have my passport anyway along with the rest of my stuff, have been stopped multiple times over the years in traffic stops official and unofficial, and they always ask for my original passport and driving licence. Never yet as far as I remember been asked for International Driving Licence which I do have. Some officers actually wave it away if I offer it...'not need'. Keep credit card size laminated copy in top pocket of whatever shirt with a credit card size copy of Tourist Police logo and number, just having that has sorted out a couple of minor disputes very quickly in the past.

Liked

My passport pages are larger than two credit cards, however fold in half it would fit in my wallet in credit card compartment.