Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Passport ID card

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Passport ID card

Just got back from getting a credit card sized copy of my passport made. (Kodak shop Jomtien, cost 70 baht).
    The back of the card has my current visa stamp copied on it as well so the card will no longer be valid after the end of the visa period, I presume.
    I was just wondering what other board members do in this regard - carry a credit card sized copy of their passport, the passport itself or neither?
    What are the implications of not having either type with you when you are out and about in Thailand?

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

Re: Passport ID card

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    Just got back from getting a credit card sized copy of my passport made. (Kodak shop Jomtien, cost 70 baht).
    The back of the card has my current visa stamp copied on it as well so the card will no longer be valid after the end of the visa period, I presume.
    I was just wondering what other board members do in this regard - carry a credit card sized copy of their passport, the passport itself or neither?
    What are the implications of not having either type with you when you are out and about in Thailand?
    Mandatory death penalty!
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Banned
    Liked

In 30 years of living in Thailand I've never carried ID and I've never been asked for it. Obviously if I'm going somewhere I need it eg. to the bank, then I carry it, otherwise not

4. User who gave Like to post:

Kenny (January 7th, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    Mandatory death penalty!
    Worse...life imprisonment and sharing a cell with a well known SGT poster.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
    I carry a card just like yours.
    I've never needed it, but feel more assured having it with me.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

7. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

You wouldn't want to cause any embarrassment to your customer when the hotel reception rejected the copy ID would you?

9. 2 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (January 7th, 2019), Kenny (January 7th, 2019)

Liked

I carry a full size copy of my passport front page and my extension of stay page laminated together. Foolish not to have ID with you at all times.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    I carry a full size copy of my passport front page and my extension of stay page laminated together. Foolish not to have ID with you at all times.
    Same same. The police have said a number of times that this is acceptable. Under no circumstances does mine ever leave my safe unless I know it’s needed...

13. User who gave Like to post:

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Same same. The police have said a number of times that this is acceptable. Under no circumstances does mine ever leave my safe unless I know it’s needed...
    Same same same.......I treat my passport like it's gold and the it's the first thing in and out of my room safe and NEVER go's on the streets with me ( unless for a specific reason of course). I too normally copy my main page and whilst the visa thing on the back is a good idea and as I usually make mine here in the UK before I travel ( and use it in other Countries too) I have a copy of my both my emergency contacts phone numbers ( in the UK) and also the 24hr helpline number for my travel / medical insurance listed - along with a line printed in big letters saying "I HAVE MEDICAL INSURANCE and PASSPORT IN HOTEL ROOM SAFE".

Whilst that might sound a little anal I put it there on the very rare risk that I might be involved in some serious accident and perhaps unconscious and some random ambulance or doctor asks "ok so what hospital we well take him too ?" As in my head anyway I always hope that by including that one line that just might be enough to get me taken to the RIGHT hospital and fast, rather than some small shit local hospital and THEN on to the right one an hour later ( and hence using up that "golden hour" they talk about where treatment can save your life or stop you becoming a vegetable later perhaps.

A long shot I know but anything that speeds along the process at the side of the road or even when in A&E and they're trying to work out who you are and how they should treat you ( expense wise) was to me worth it. No doubt I'll be told now that "dont be daft you get the best treatment FIRST and then they worry about money etc later" hmmm perhaps you're right, but being Thailand ( and the other Countries I visit) if adding one line of text fast tracks their decisions then I think it's worth a try always - plus also by THEM ringing the UK medical centre number the UK may well divert you from one hospital to another too if they feel that local CLINIC ( in Bali for instance) that you may have been taken too isn't qualified or registered to deal with your injuries.

I also usually carry a business card from whatever hotel I'm staying at in my wallet so that again if I'm found unconscious the police etc can check my wallet ( steal my money) and then contact the hotel and go get my passport ( in my safe) ands start doing their thing there with the consulate if required ( i.e if I'm dying etc).

Might all sound a bit overly dramatic but after numerous trips NOT doing that it did dawn on me after a close shave nearly getting knocked down by a very drunk driver one night that had that happened quite far from the main tourist area that had that happened no one would have had a CLUE as much for my own peace of mind if nothing else I guess.

15. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Kenny (January 7th, 2019), Marsilius (January 8th, 2019), poshglasgow (January 12th, 2019)

Liked

Personally, I just carry a Thai driving licence most of the time. A while back, they were having a bit of a purge on overstayers in Chiang Mai, and some people were stopped at random. For a week or two I carried the original passport.

One place where you must carry the actual passport is on a train. The railways have their own police force and they have, I believe, a policy of always arresting if you are caught without it. This is on the grounds that, if you are on a train then your passport is not readily available as it would be if it was in a condo or hotel room 10 minutes across town.

I have had my passport checked on a long distance train. The sleepers often have 1 or 2 railway police on them and, on a 12-14 hour journey, it gives them something to do.

17. 3 Users gave Like to post:

Jellybean (January 7th, 2019), Kenny (January 7th, 2019), Marsilius (January 8th, 2019)