Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: The first farang-run bar

Liked

The first farang-run bar

In the first half of the 17th century several European countries established a trading presence in the Siamese capital Ayutthaya. The Portuguese had already been there for a hundred years; among the newcomers were the Dutch, English and French. The Dutch were by far the most significant of these and in 1634 established a brick-built trading lodge on the east bank of the Chao Phraya river a short distance to the south of the city walls (a replica of it, which includes a small museum, has recently been built on the same site and is well worth a visit if you have an interest in history).

A Dutch surgeon called Gijsbert Heeck visited Ayutthaya in the mid-1650s and, in the diary he kept, has left a fascinating glimpse of the lives of Dutch traders there (the words 'plus ca change...' might come to mind as you read on). They lived very luxuriously, he says, most of them keeping concubines; they paid them maintenance and bought or built houses for them according to their capacity. They gave three reasons justifying their behaviour: it was accepted among the Siamese, abstinence was too difficult, and they were deprived of Dutch wives. The high-minded Heeck says that they revealed their true guilt feelings by their habit of referring to these concubines as 'whore, trollop, slut, and the like.' From the humblest bargeman to the director himself, almost everyone had to have his own favourite, 'even if he will have not a penny left on his account.'

As for the children of these relationships, Heeck says they were reasonably well cared for while the fathers remained, but when they left the women would demand an advance of a large sum of money from the Dutch East India Company to continue to support the children. In fact, most of the money was spent at the establishment run by 'Thomas the Frenchman', a free burgher who lived not far from the lodge. There he made his living 'by tapping beer, arrack, and punch for the sailors and others in this area.' The Dutch nickname for the establishment was 'the orphanage' and Heeck concludes ominously, 'The fate of these poor orphan children can be easily imagined.'

It's not known how long the bar lasted. Not more than a few years would be a reasonable guess. There was probably some homosexual activity there, but it would have been necessarily discreet - death by burning at the stake or by drowning was the sentence awaiting 'sodomites' caught in the act which the implacable Dutch East India Company had brought with it from Europe. By the end of the 17th century the disillusioned Siamese government had closed its doors to Western influence (the Dutch lingered on) and didn't reopen them, albeit somewhat reluctantly, until the mid-19th century. Farang-run bars have become quite common since then!

Reference:

A Traveler in Siam in the Year 1655: extracts from the journal of Gijsbert Heeck (ed Barend Jan Terwiel, Silkworm Books, 2008)

2. 8 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (January 2nd, 2019), arsenal (January 2nd, 2019), christianpfc (January 9th, 2019), dab69 (January 2nd, 2019), joe552 (January 3rd, 2019), Oliver2 (January 2nd, 2019), Smiles (January 2nd, 2019), TaoR (January 2nd, 2019)

Liked

Re: The first farang-run bar

Quote Originally Posted by Snotface
    " ... among the Siamese, abstinence was too difficult ... "

. . . and the little devils still carry in that fashion today. Quite disgraceful.

Fascinating read Snotface. Could you be a bit more exact regarding the name of the 'Trading Lodge' museum, and a bit more precise as to it's whereabouts on the river? I'd like to step inside on the next trip to Bangkok.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

4. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (January 2nd, 2019), joe552 (January 3rd, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by snotface View Post
    There was probably some homosexual activity there, but it would have been necessarily discreet - death by burning at the stake or by drowning was the sentence awaiting 'sodomites' caught in the act which the implacable Dutch East India Company had brought with it from Europe.
    Interestingly the central thesis of Sodomy and the pirate tradition is that the men who chose long-distance sailing, rather than coastal sailing, were more drawn to sex with men rather than with women. The live of the coastal sailor was much more sympathetic to the married man with family. However merchants did not have a seafaring life as such; once they had traveled somewhere they stayed there

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Could you be a bit more exact regarding the name of the 'Trading Lodge' museum, and a bit more precise as to it's whereabouts on the river? I'd like to step inside on the next trip to Bangkok.
    Here's a link to the tripadvisor page. It's known as Baan Hollanda. I went there with our mutual friend Gerry a few short years ago. Directions are on the page - not far by tuk-tuk or taxi, but by boat is the most enjoyable. There is a small cafe for snacks and a peaceful little garden. I was relieved to note from the tripadvisor pics that I didn't imagine the existence of a couple of near-lifesize plastic cows in the cafe area. The mind can play cruel tricks regarding such matters as one gets older.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Province.html

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hmm, so I wonder were the farang of the day all sitting around complaining about the price of the beer, arrack, punch and off fees back then as well - my guess is YES as it seems that the more some things change the more they stay the same - and I'm betting the local authorities were sit visiting him looking for their tea money too come to think of it !

8. User who gave Like to post:

joe552 (January 3rd, 2019)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

sad that these trollops, whores and sluts had no mothering instinct, something that even rats have...once the wallet was gone the kids were no longer cared for...

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Although I dont know how the kids went hungry when there was Thomas the frenchman's place who was it seems giving away free burgers ! I guess they perhaps just preferred to stick to the chicken rice.....

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Although I dont know how the kids went hungry when there was Thomas the frenchman's place who was it seems giving away free burgers ! I guess they perhaps just preferred to stick to the chicken rice.....
    Burgers instead of boiled lollies do you think?

Liked

A really interesting story, thanks for posting.
    Hitchhiking's more of a challenge on the road less travelled.