Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Retirement and the police check

Liked

Re: Retirement and the police check

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    If applying for an Extension for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand (for purpose of retirement), no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration because the applicant already has the Visa

Per travellerjim's great friend Tod Daniels you BUY your O-A visa, you don't APPLY for it https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...nt-Visas/page3

Many come to Thailand and enter as Visa Exempt or using a Tourist Visa. If you qualify for an extension of stay based on retirement, you can "apply" for Non-Immigrant O Visa if you entered Visa Exempt OR you can apply to convert your Tourist Visa to a Non-Immigrant O Visa. If in Pattaya, Immigration on Jomtien Soi 5 takes the application and required documents (passport, meeting financial requirements, residence, photo) plus fee of 2,000 baht - documents are sent to Bangkok for approval and a minimum of 15 days on your permission to stay needs be available - otherwise, you can extend the Visa Exempt 30 day initial stay or Tourist Visa 60 day initial stay for another 30 days. Thai Immigration does not require a police report or medical certificate as part of the documentation.

When approval is received, Pattaya Immigration places the Non-Immigrant O Visa in your passport and gives you a 90 day permission to stay from date the Non-O is issued. After 60 days have elapsed, you return to Immigration and apply for a one year extension based on retirement -- same documents required, application for extension fee is 1,900 baht. The extension is issued by Pattaya Immigration, they usually ask you return the next day to pick up the passport.

As to "buying" a Visa - hmmmmm! The form says Application and as I recall, most Embassy/Consulate websites, dealing with Visa applications note that fees are not refundable in if the application is denied.

2. User who gave Like to post:

travelerjim (January 3rd, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by 2lz2p View Post
    As to "buying" a Visa - hmmmmm! The form says Application and as I recall, most Embassy/Consulate websites, dealing with Visa applications note that fees are not refundable in if the application is denied.
    No wonder poor old Jim wants to divert attention onto my minor inaccuracies given he's still got nothing to say about his hero Tod asserting that people BUY an O-A visa, and that's leaving aside the whole medical insurance "decision" Tod claims the Thai Cabinet has made

Liked

Quite right the extension is to stay for the visa you currently have not to the visa itself. The only time you can apply for an extension to stay when you don't have a visa is when you enter Thailand under the (usually 30-day) visa exemption. However, bkkguy, isn't the application for a non-O visa while already in Thailand technically an application to change your visa type?
    Immigration Police Rules for extensions of stay for purpose of retirement (and many other reasons) require the foreigner to be the holder of a Non-Immigrant Visa (various categories available, e.g., B for business, O for other which is the one used for retirement purposes). So, for most cases including retirement, you must have been issued a Non-Immigrant Visa before you can apply for a long stay extension. Thai Immigration when the reason is for purpose of retirement, will issue the Non-Immigrant Visa (most must be obtained from a Thai Embassy/Consulate outside of Thailand).

It is interesting to note that if a married couple, only one spouse need meet the age and financial requirements for retirement, whereas the spouse "piggy backs" on their Retirement Extension. The spouse must show a valid marriage certificate and ALSO be the holder of a Non-Immigrant O Visa. But, the spouse cannot apply for one in Thailand - they must obtain their Non-Immigrant O Visa from an Embassy/Consulate and use it to enter Thailand. They are allowed to extend their stay for the same duration as approved for their spouse. And, no - it doesn't work for legally married Gay couples as Thailand does not recognize same sex marriages.

5. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (January 3rd, 2019)

Liked

" ... asserting that people BUY an O-A visa ... "
    Nit-picker. Shirley he meant "fee'" not "buy". I noted that as well and jumped over it in abandon, knowing it was not worthy of the picking.

( I held off saying " get a life" as it is so so cliche ... also non-worthy)
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

7. User who gave Like to post:

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Nit-picker. Shirley he meant "fee'" not "buy". I noted that as well and jumped over it in abandon, knowing it was not worthy of the picking.

( I held off saying " get a life" as it is so so cliche ... also non-worthy)
    Are you making excuses for Jim or Tod?

Liked

No. Only that in this topic I agree with the 'Crap Model'
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

10. User who gave Like to post:

Liked

Conversion of a visa waiver entry or a tourist visa entry to Category O is an administrative trick, a sleight of hand. They give you a single entry visa, grant you 90 days, then immediately stamp the visa as Used. The 90 days gives you plenty of time to season the 800,000 baht for two months, then you can get your one-year extension. No med cert or police check required.

12. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (January 4th, 2019)

Liked

the extension is to stay for the visa you currently have not to the visa itself
    well no, the extension is of permission to stay even if you arrived visa exempt and thus do not currently have a visa!

However, bkkguy, isn't the application for a non-O visa while already in Thailand technically an application to change your visa type?
    if you arrive on a tourist visa you are changing visa (form TM 86), if you arrive visa exempt you are applying for a visa (form TM 87)

your article seems to suggest the second option is not preferred by Immigration, I have done it once in the past but I am not sure what current policy is

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    well no, the extension is of permission to stay even if you arrived visa exempt and thus do not currently have a visa!
    If you read carefully I made precisely that point
    Quote Originally Posted by frequent
    The only time you can apply for an extension to stay when you don't have a visa is when you enter Thailand under the (usually 30-day) visa exemption

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    No. Only that in this topic I agree with the 'Crap Model'
    That Jim/Tod is talking crap? I couldn't agree more. Arrr Jim lad