Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retirement and the police check

Liked

Retirement and the police check

I was looking at the requirements necessary for those who choose to retire to Thailand and noticed that one of them is that the applicant requires a 'police check'. Now, does that mean a check against the Thai police database or the UK database? If the latter, I presume that it is a DBS that is required (previously the CRB) and do the Thai authorities require a basic, standard or enhanced DBS?

Liked

Re: Retirement and the police check

If applying for the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate for your country of residence, they want a police clearance report from your country of residence - their website should give an indication of what documentation they require and from whom.

If applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand for purpose of retirement, no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Aussie1978 (December 6th, 2022), Eddie (January 2nd, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by 2lz2p View Post
    If applying for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand for purpose of retirement, no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration.
    If applying for an Extension for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand (for purpose of retirement), no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration because the applicant already has the Visa

Quote Originally Posted by 2lz2p View Post
    If applying for the Non-Immigrant O-A Visa from a Thai Embassy/Consulate for your country of residence ...
    Per travellerjim's great friend Tod Daniels you BUY your O-A visa, you don't APPLY for it https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...nt-Visas/page3

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    If applying for an Extension for a Non-Immigrant O Visa in Thailand (for purpose of retirement), no police report (or medical) report is required by Immigration because the applicant already has the Visa
    frequent, are you suggesting that 2lz2p is incorrect in his posting?

One can come to Thailand on a visa exempt or with a Tourist Visa and then convert that to a Non-O visa and yes, no criminal report is required.And No, the applicant does not already have the visa.

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

2lz2p (January 3rd, 2019), Eddie (January 2nd, 2019)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    frequent, are you suggesting that 2lz2p is incorrect in his posting?
    yes Francois he is incorrect - you don't apply to extend a visa, you apply to extend a permission to stay, and even if you don't already have a visa there is no requirement for a police check when you apply for a non-O visa inside Thailand so already having a visa is not the issue

8. User who gave Like to post:

Eddie (January 2nd, 2019)

Liked

Pardon me but you are full of crap...
    Happy New Year infrequent truthsayer
    Good riddens!
    Tj

Liked

In 2006 and 2007, before I decided to obtain my Extension of Stay and Multiple Re-Entry Permits at an Immigration Office in Thailand, I visited the Royal Thai Embassy & Consulate in London over two days on each annual application.

I note from an old passport that the last occasion I visited the Embassy was on November 30th, 2007 and paid GBP100 for a Non-immigrant O-A visa. The Embassy address is: 29 Queen's Gate, London, SW7 5JB • Telephone (020) 7589 2944, getting off at South Kensington Underground Station and walking the short distance to Queen’s Gate.

At the time, it entailed a two day visit, the first to submit the application, various forms and payment and a return visit the following day to pick up my passport with visa. I took this action two years in a row before deciding to renew my Extension of Stay and Multiple Re-Entry Permits in Thailand and thus avoid the necessity/bother of obtaining a criminal records check, medical certificate and, more importantly, paying an extra charge of between £90 - £100 for the services of a notary.

The Royal Thai Embassy in London website link is below:
    http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en...t-visas.html#7

I have however copied the relevant extract below:

Non-Immigrant Type O- A (Long Stay) 1 Year per entries/Multiple entries/ 1 year validity

• Passport (validity over 1 year) and at least 2 blank pages. The actual passport must be submitted with visa application form.

• Two (2) sets of application forms and 2 recent photos.

• An additional application form for O-A

• Bank statement or evidence of adequate finance showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate with monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, (approximately £18,000.00 / annum) or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht. If you send a copy of bank statement, the original reference letter from the banking concerned is necessary.

• Certificate of criminal record clearance from own country and country of permanent residence with validity of at least 3 months. Applicants residing in the United Kingdom will need to have a police clearance issued only from here [Simply click on the link on website].

• Medical Record proving applicant has never been infected with contagious disease with validity at least 3 months (in accordance with Immigration Act B.E.2522)

• If you wish to be accompanied by spouse, the marriage certificate will be attached. But your spouse will be granted Non-Immigrant “O” instead of “O-A”(Long Stay)

• Applicant must be of age 50 years old or over.

Note:
    - Please submit the originals of bank statement, criminal record check, and medical record, as well as one photocopy of each document. In case that an applicant could not submit the original documents, the Embassy will accept the photocopies which have been certified by a Notary Public officer or Solicitors.

- The consular officers reserve the rights to request additional documents as deemed necessary.
    With regard to the police check, in 2006 and 2007, I went to a local police station and obtained and completed a form requesting a criminal record check from the then styled Criminal Records Bureau (CRB). I was not aware that the CRB had been replaced by the The Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) until it was mentioned in the OP. As far as I can remember, the then £10 fee covered a standard check, which was sufficient for the Thai authorities.

Readers will however note that at the bullet point covering the “Certificate of criminal record clearance” it refers applicants to the ACRO Website [Criminal Records Office] and not the DBS. An extract from their website is quoted below:

ACRO issues Police Certificates to people who want to emigrate to, or obtain a visa for, countries including Australia, Belgium, Canada, Cayman Islands, New Zealand, South Africa and the United States of America.

The certificate details whether or not the applicant has a criminal record in the United Kingdom and is required as part of the visa process by the respective high commission or embassy.

Please note that the certificate may also include foreign criminal history information where it has been disclosed to the UK.

Certificates are prepared in accordance with the ACRO step-down model. These guidelines do not apply to Scottish convictions. Please note that Police Certificates will contain impending prosecutions and offences that are under investigation.

Police Certificates will only be provided in a physical format and we are unable to discuss the content of the certificate until you have received it.

The Police Certificate is not intended for use to gain employment within the UK or to emigrate to the UK.
    Please read our frequently asked questions for further information on Police Certificates. If you cannot find the information you are looking for, please contact ACRO Customer Services.

You can apply online by clicking the button below.
    I hope this of some help to you poshglasgow.

11. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (January 2nd, 2019)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim View Post
    Pardon me but you are full of crap...
    Ah Jim, glad to have you back but without, I see, any reference to Tod's assertion that someone BUYS an O-A Visa from a Thai Consulate in their home country. Then there's the small question of a link to the health insurance policy having been approved by the Thai Cabinet. No?

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    yes Francois he is incorrect - you don't apply to extend a visa, you apply to extend a permission to stay, and even if you don't already have a visa there is no requirement for a police check when you apply for a non-O visa inside Thailand so already having a visa is not the issue
    Quite right the extension is to stay for the visa you currently have not to the visa itself. The only time you can apply for an extension to stay when you don't have a visa is when you enter Thailand under the (usually 30-day) visa exemption. However, bkkguy, isn't the application for a non-O visa while already in Thailand technically an application to change your visa type?

Banned
    Liked

Change of visa type in-country - one opinion: http://integrity-legal.com/legal-blo...m-of-thailand/