Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Move to make Health Insurance Mandatory - Retirement Visas

Liked

Re: Move to make Health Insurance Mandatory - Retirement Visas

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Have you thought that through Jacky? If someone retired to Thailand at, say, 62 when they are entitled to Social Security if an American, are you expecting them to give up living in Thailand once they turn 75 because, according to you, they're no longer entitled to be horny
    You sure are entitled to be horny at 75.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    ... Wait for the screams of those who use services like Transferwise if that ever comes to pass, as such services don't show that it's foreign-source income
    I started using TransferWise because it does show transfers are foreign sourced. My Thai bank passbook shows FTT(for foreign telex transfer) and hopefully this will make TI happy if we expats have that option available to us.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U View Post
    I started using TransferWise because it does show transfers are foreign sourced. My Thai bank passbook shows FTT(for foreign telex transfer) and hopefully this will make TI happy if we expats have that option available to us.
    Interesting. I hardly ever get my passbook updated - certainly not in 2018 - but in 2017 my bank's passbook shows Transferwise payments with a code of "TN" which I suspect just means "Transaction". I went online just now to see what the Transaction History shows and the same code is used - TN - for deposits made this week. The same teller code is used for all Transferwise deposits which may mean something to the bank but it's not as transparent as your FTT transaction code. I have read on the Whiners & Whingers Forum (Thaivisa) that other Transferwise users report that it shows up in their bank as a domestic rather than a foreign transaction

Liked

Re: post 13. It may depend on what bank is used. I use Bangkok Bank.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Up2U View Post
    Re: post 13. It may depend on what bank is used. I use Bangkok Bank.
    Agreed; I can see hours of entertainment ahead on this one

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim View Post
    Foreigners with one-year Non-Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay) will have to compulsorily arrange health insurance, according to new proposals of a key committee.
    just out of interest how many of us are actually here on a Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa (Retirement visa} and will be affected by this as distinct from those here on a Non-Immigrant “O" Visa and doing yearly extensions of permission to stay for reasons of retirement?

the Nation (and other) reports do not mention if this will also reply to retirement extensions, but then this a subtle (some would say pedantic point) that often seems to escape the Nation/Post reporters and certainly escapes most Thai Visa (and other) forum posters - and is the major reason why most Thai Visa threads go on for 20 pages and most of the posts, except for from the Super Moderators, are misleading, confusing or just useless

of course it does not help that many Immigration Police officers have given up when dealing with stupid falung who can't grasp simple concepts so they just refer to retirement permission to stay extensions as visa extensions

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bkkguy View Post
    just out of interest how many of us are actually here on a Non-Immigrant “O-A” Visa (Retirement visa} and will be affected by this as distinct from those here on a Non-Immigrant “O" Visa and doing yearly extensions of permission to stay for reasons of retirement?

the Nation (and other) reports do not mention if this will also reply to retirement extensions, but then this a subtle (some would say pedantic point) that often seems to escape the Nation/Post reporters and certainly escapes most Thai Visa (and other) forum posters - and is the major reason why most Thai Visa threads go on for 20 pages and most of the posts, except for from the Super Moderators, are misleading, confusing or just useless

of course it does not help that many Immigration Police officers have given up when dealing with stupid falung who can't grasp simple concepts so they just refer to retirement permission to stay extensions as visa extensions
    As it's merely a proposal by a committee at the moment I'm not surprised the mass media is light on details. As for "renewal" versus "extension" this is a confusion that Thai sources themselves perpetuate

Liked

Maybe the majority of older expat Brits are relying on being able to jump on a plane back to the UK to get NHS treatment. Not an option however in the event of needing emergency treatment.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Daveuk View Post
    Maybe the majority of older expat Brits are relying on being able to jump on a plane back to the UK to get NHS treatment. Not an option however in the event of needing emergency treatment.
    Its now part of the govt crackdown that if you are now an expat you have to live back in the uk ,for 6months before getting free treatment . Im not sure how firm this is taken as im not am expat

Liked

No idea about the UK, but I know that's the law of the land in Canada. You need to be a resident for 6 months before universal healthcare is available to you.