Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Move to make Health Insurance Mandatory - Retirement Visas

Liked

Re: Move to make Health Insurance Mandatory - Retirement Visas

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    If you are an expat you should have a health policy for Thailand, if you have something serious happen such as a stroke or heart attack are you going to wait to go to your home country?
    I am among the lucky and have health coverage paid by my previous employer. But must pay first and collect later. If I had a serious heart attack or stroke, then I die.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by travelerjim View Post
    This posted today on Facebook in Thai Visa Advice forum...from its Admin Tod Daniels. Truly an expert on Thai Visa issues IMHO. In reply to another poster question about health insurance required for expats:

"John West what you "just noticed" was the fact that the Thai cabinet approved mandatory health insurance for people who BUY a year-long, multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type O-A visa from a Thai consulate in their home country BEFORE they wing their way here.
    I thought I'd go looking for confirmation that "the Thai cabinet approved mandatory health insurance for people who BUY a year-long, multi-entry Non-Immigrant Type O-A visa from a Thai consulate in their home country BEFORE they wing their way here" so I googled Thai cabinet retirement visa health insurance but found only a story barely a week old that a recommendation had been made to cabinet but none that a decision had been made by cabinet. https://www.thaiexaminer.com/thai-ne...al-conditions/

A thread on the Whiners & Whingers Forum dated only two days ago states "As many of our readers know, the Thai government is considering requiring health insurance for those staying in Thailand with an O-A visa" - which suggests that decision has been made: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...irements-fair/

Are you able to provide a link that it's a Thai cabinet approved policy, Jim?

Liked

What I read a few days ago said a Public Health Ministry committee was preparing to recommend Cabinet approval for requiring health insurance for those that obtain the O-A Visa (long stay visa often referred to a retirement visa since you must meet the requirements for staying in Thailand on the basis of retirement - also only available from some Thai Embassy/Consulates and must be in your country of residence). Currently, as mentioned, health insurance is required only if applying for the O-X Visa (so called 10 year visa).

This is not the first time I have read about the PH Ministry proposing health insurance for foreigners - a while back it was for tourists - but the Cabinet did not approve the proposal.

For many, getting health insurance in Thailand is not feasible because of Thai companies age restrictions and exclusion of pre-existing conditions. In my case, I have US health insurance that covers me in Thailand and the major International Hospitals will direct bill my insurance. BUT, they often want a guaranty from my insurance before they do more than bare necessities - which can take time. Thus, I make sure I have sufficient credit limit on two or three credit cards that should cover the deposit and allow treatment to proceed while waiting on the guarantee. A few years ago, I had am ischemic stroke. The clot busting medicine highly recommended to reduce the effects usually must be given within 3 hours of the stroke. For me, it was two doses and the cost was about 50,000 baht per dose - so a deposit of over 100,000 was required (Bangkok Hospital Pattaya actually blocks the amount on your card but does not run the charge through - when they get the guaranty, they gave me back the charge slips and removed the blocked amount). As I recall, the total cost paid by my insurance was around US$8,000 paid direct to BHP - for inpatient, I get 100% coverage (my policy was from my employer and carried over into my retirement).

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by 2lz2p View Post
    What I read a few days ago said a Public Health Ministry committee was preparing to recommend Cabinet approval for requiring health insurance for those that obtain the O-A Visa (long stay visa often referred to a retirement visa since you must meet the requirements for staying in Thailand on the basis of retirement - also only available from some Thai Embassy/Consulates and must be in your country of residence). Currently, as mentioned, health insurance is required only if applying for the O-X Visa (so called 10 year visa).

This is not the first time I have read about the PH Ministry proposing health insurance for foreigners - a while back it was for tourists - but the Cabinet did not approve the proposal.

For many, getting health insurance in Thailand is not feasible because of Thai companies age restrictions and exclusion of pre-existing conditions. In my case, I have US health insurance that covers me in Thailand and the major International Hospitals will direct bill my insurance. BUT, they often want a guaranty from my insurance before they do more than bare necessities - which can take time. Thus, I make sure I have sufficient credit limit on two or three credit cards that should cover the deposit and allow treatment to proceed while waiting on the guarantee. A few years ago, I had am ischemic stroke. The clot busting medicine highly recommended to reduce the effects usually must be given within 3 hours of the stroke. For me, it was two doses and the cost was about 50,000 baht per dose - so a deposit of over 100,000 was required (Bangkok Hospital Pattaya actually blocks the amount on your card but does not run the charge through - when they get the guaranty, they gave me back the charge slips and removed the blocked amount). As I recall, the total cost paid by my insurance was around US$8,000 paid direct to BHP - for inpatient, I get 100% coverage (my policy was from my employer and carried over into my retirement).
    Quite so 2lz2p, but as Jim is recommending this Tod Daniels chappy as the bees knees when it comes to Visa matters, and his Facebook page an indispensible and infallible source of facts on the matter, I felt sure that a decision has actually been made and the rest of us just haven't caught up with what Tod Daniels knows

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    Quite so 2lz2p, but as Jim is recommending this Tod Daniels chappy as the bees knees when it comes to Visa matters, and his Facebook page an indispensible and infallible source of facts on the matter, I felt sure that a decision has actually been made and the rest of us just haven't caught up with what Tod Daniels knows
    It appears he was banned on Thai Visa?

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    It appears he was banned on Thai Visa?
    I wouldn't be surprised although personally I'd regard that as a badge of honour. For those seeking alternatives, southern Italy is looking to attract retirees - if you want to live on a direct line between Etna and Vesuvius: https://thepointsguy.com/news/italy-...ree-retirement

In addition, it shares two great characteristics with Thailand - rampant corruption and endemic organised crime