Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Starlight, Starbright ...

Liked

Re: Starlight, Starbright ...

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    Most likely it was not a star, but the planet Jupiter.
    Planets do not shine, look at Earth, doesn't shine.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Mars has a slight red tinge of shine. Venus is often mistaken for a star.

3. User who gave Like to post:

francois (December 3rd, 2018)

Liked

I remember seeing Venus with my naked eyes about thirty years ago, just after sunset, with the Moon nearby. Yes, I recall a rather greenish shine and remember feeling elated by the sight of it. Since that time I never had the luck to observe another planet with the naked eyes. I'm still captivated by the Moon on a clear night, every time.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dinagam View Post
    I remember seeing Venus with my naked eyes about thirty years ago, just after sunset, with the Moon nearby. Yes, I recall a rather greenish shine and remember feeling elated by the sight of it. Since that time I never had the luck to observe another planet with the naked eyes. I'm still captivated by the Moon on a clear night, every time.
    dinagam, Venus is visible in the early evening and at sunrise and very bright.
    Jupiter is the next brightest object in the sky, other than the Moon. Even in Thailand you can easily see Jupiter despite the light pollution (probably the only thing you may see). Most likely you have seen it but mistook it for a star. And one can see Mars and even Saturn.

And surprise, surprise one can observe another galaxy, Andromeda, with the naked eye, although it is 2.5 million light years from the Earth. But one must know where to look.

6. User who gave Like to post:

Jellybean (December 3rd, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I have an app, Sky View LIte, to locate and identify objects in the sky.
    They all look like little white dots otherwise.

8. User who gave Like to post:

francois (December 4th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by dab69 View Post
    I have an app, Sky View LIte, to locate and identify objects in the sky.
    They all look like little white dots otherwise.
    Thank you, great app!

I watch sky now just after midnight, and it all makes sense.

8JGAPVP.jpg

vdWHGa8.jpg

FmOb2EW.jpg

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (December 5th, 2018), dinagam (December 6th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by francois View Post
    And surprise, surprise one can observe another galaxy, Andromeda, with the naked eye, although it is 2.5 million light years from the Earth. But one must know where to look.
    Would that be before or after three boxes of Franzia?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    Would that be before or after three boxes of Franzia?
    Don't know I don't drink Franzia; but best to not drink prior to star gazing.

13. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (December 8th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    You ruined my romantic nights on the beach with your firefly suggestions! I'm not going tonight!
    I find fireflies as romantic as stars.

The only time where I saw the sky without light pollution was during my compulsory military service in Germany, when we went for bivouac. In all my travels in Thailand (and I remember that night bus in Lao, where we stopped at night, and there were no lights other than the bus), there is always some artificial light.

The darkest sky and the most stars I have seen here were in December in Umphang (Tak province), it was cold (10 degree Celsius) and no clouds, and in the refugee camp there was no street lighting.

In Cambodia I and my travel companion stopped the car on a little traveled road, and switched off all lights, but the sky remained grey and hazy.

The range of light the eye can process is enormous, a ratio of 1 to 1 million. But complete adaptation to darkness takes 20 minutes. When entering a darkroom in a sauna, I can't see anything at first, but after a few minutes, the light of the LED from aircon is enough to make out where furniture and people are.

Being in a place so far from civilization that there is no light pollution, preferably alone (first because I don't like people, and second because it needs just one to play on his mobile phone to destroy everything), to see a black sky full of stars, is on my bucket list.

15. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (December 12th, 2018)

Liked

Many years ago when I was in the US Navy and was underway for 1.5 years. 6 month in the middle east and 1 year in northern Europe.
    When out at sea 100s of miles from everything the sky was often bright with stars.
    It was probably a view of how the sky appeared sharp and clear before industrialization with its resulting air and light pollution.
    From what I have read pre-industrial people were much more aware of the night sky. The movement of observable planets etc. and the movement of the stars over time - the seasons etc. and attached meaning to what they saw.
    In our modern world we are pretty much disconnected from the sky - maybe nature in general.
    I think going out for a walk in the woods, camping etc. are overrated activities but maybe we have lost something by not having a sense of the larger world - both on earth and the cosmos.

Maybe - (just my own speculation) human beings being careless about the environment is partially a result from our loss of a connection to, seeing, and experiencing a larger world. Jut speculation on my part.
    Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and they all stink.

17. User who gave Like to post:

francois (December 12th, 2018)