Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: A กิ๊ก (gík) by any other name

Forum's veteran
    Liked

A กิ๊ก (gík) by any other name

There was some confusion on the word gík in another thread but as some readers may not be interested in fictional posts/threads, I've decided to reproduce my explanation here which was initially addressed to Smiles.

Hi Smiles

It's กิ๊ก, pronounced as gík. The g here sounds like an un-aspirated k. It means a casual boyfriend, girlfriend or playmate; someone you're likely to be sharing intimacy with.

I think I understand how Pot mistook it for a "bunch of lady-boys standing around in loud screeching conversation". He probably heard you pronounce it as

คิก or kík where the k here IS aspirated. It denotes the sound of giggling which lady-boys often make

OR he might have heard it as (more likely)

กรีด or grèet which means to scream, screech or shriek, which lady-boys certainly do.

The three words have very close pronunciations and it is easy to be misunderstood. Even Thais misunderstand each other hence it is sometimes necessary to provide context.

2. 5 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 27th, 2018), dinagam (November 27th, 2018), Eddie (December 16th, 2018), francois (November 27th, 2018), Smiles (November 27th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: A กิ๊ก (gík) by any other name

Perhaps this could be a new "thing" on the board, those members who (believe) they can speak and are fluent in Thai could perhaps post a different word each day and then give us the meaning and proper pronunciation of that work so that we too can all become fluent in Thai..... NEVER .......

Liked

Re: A กิ๊ก (gík) by any other name

Thank you Sglad. I will run those Thai words ( กิ๊ก ) as well as ( คิก ) and ( กรีด ) by The Man and see what says. If you are wrong on any of those he will come and visit you
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand