Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)

Banned
    Liked

Re: Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)

Quote Originally Posted by spaghetios View Post
    I obviously did not say that HIV+ people shouldn't take their medication, that would be outrageous but you attempted to present HIV as if it were nothing more than an inconvenient infection which is not true.

Truvada is one pill (made up of two medications) which is generally not taken by someone every day for their rest of their life. Truvada is also a modern medication which is generally taken alone for Prep whereas most HIV+ persons are on more than one pill or, eventually will be.
    My “attempt” represents modern, up-to-date, informed opinion - http://theconversation.com/how-hiv-b...-disease-51238 - whereas you seem focused on scare-mongering. The recommended regime for PrEP is daily since the lead time before it becomes effective is a recommended 7 days - https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/basics/prep.html. It’s not the HIV equivalent to the morning-after pill for breeders

As a diabetic I can assure you I’m intimately familiar with the daily medication regime for chronic illnesses - in my case Lantus insulin injected twice daily, 2000 grams of metformin, 120 grams of Gliclazide, a new drug called Jardiance, once of whose unpleasant side effects can be thrush, and that’s beside the blood pressure and cholesterol drugs that are a common co-requirement

Liked

I'm not sure why you continuously misrepresent what I'm saying but I didn't say that when on Prep, you don't have to take it every day. I said that it is generally not taken every day of your life - Your Doctor will counsel you to take breaks when on Prep at times where you feel you can without putting yourself at risk. Having taken Prep since 2015, I have been encouraged by some Doctors to take one month off every three months even when liver and kidney blood tests don't show any warning signs.

You having diabetes is irrelevant - it is not the same as HIV. The HIV virus can and often does mutate to the point that people have to change medications or take additional medications to prevent progression to AIDS. HIV+ people are always on drug regimens that are personal to them, their strain and how their body handles the virus. You can read more about the awful medications below:

https://www.poz.com/drug_charts/hiv-drug-chart

I would also advise you to read the following on 'Why people with HIV still die' before you continue to harp on about how HIV is no big deal:

http://www.thebody.com/content/art12281.html#

HIV is a big deal, it is preventable and any stigma surrounding it (when based on facts) is completely reasonable.
    Last edited by spaghetios; November 20th, 2018 at 12:54. Reason: Smiles

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Eddie (November 26th, 2018), mr giggles (December 9th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Oh dear, another of the Pursed Lips Brigade to be added to the Ignore list

Liked

Language barrier when accessing government hospitals is proven to be very challenging, could i assume price and service wise Red Cross could be a nice midway from private practices (i.e. Pulse) and hospitals? Does Red Cross accept non-local tourist patients? If so, could anyone enlighten me with the costs and what to expect when accessing PreP at Red Cross in Bangkok?

6. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (December 9th, 2018)

Liked

All I will say in this debate is that if I were HIV+ and facing certain death without treatment, then any potential side effects or concerns over how long the medication might stay effective (given that most adequately and timeously treated people are living almost normal life spans these days) would very much take second place to getting on a medication programme ASAP.

I completely agree that prevention is better than (no) cure - but as far as I'm aware PREP is available but not routinely available even in the UK and one would have to be almost aggressively proactive to get on it.

There is certainly no UK public health push to get sexually active high risk HIV- people on it (which there absolutely should be, until a Vaccine is found) - it is left to individuals to find out for themselves how, why and where to get it and we all know what happens when you leave people to find out things for themselves - in most cases, nothing.

Same goes for PeP - I suspect most people don't even know it exists, far less where and how to access it. At least this thread will provide valuable information to people who find themselves in a specific situation in Thailand, but one has to question why Governments and Health Authorities (even in first world countries) are not making more of an effort to educate people. I don't think I've ever seen any Govt/Heath Service publicity for PreP or PeP in the UK

8. 2 Users gave Like to post:

mr giggles (December 9th, 2018), sglad (December 11th, 2018)

Liked

The medication doesn't work for all people and some people cannot take it due to deleterious side-effects. The condition of being HIV+, can be managed- but for many people it still limits their lifestyle and they can suffer serious ill-health even if it's not fatal.

Waiting for your smart-alecky reply, no doubt it's brewing like last week's pile of horse dung.

10. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (December 11th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Now there's a novel concept - having a permanent medical condition can "limit your lifestyle". Who'd've thought!?

Liked

Just a thought, if you go to the red cross in Bangkok asking for PEP, they will be confused and tell you it is called PEEP ...Lol
    The girl on the desk said, you look, P and E and P say PEEP ..Lol

Liked

Exclamation Re: Post-Exposure Prophylaxis (PEP)

Protect yourself before any sex!!