Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: retirement visas

Liked

retirement visas

how are people who cannot use the 800,000 bht means of obtaining a visa but have a 65,000 monthly income going to get on, , the way i read it is that you have to show proof that you have been bringing in at least 65,000 for at least 1 year. Its seems a truly thai F--k up in that if you cant stay for a full year how can you prove you have the 65,000 each month

Liked

Re: retirement visas

Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Liked

Had a discussion tonight re the money in the bank. I was not really interested until it was suggested that the money could be onloaned to say another 3 people in the 12 month period.
    I did not want to get involved but it was stated $800,000 does not have to stay in one bank and can be transferred to others. It has been happening for many years.
    Wombat : an Australian marsupial that eats,roots and leaves

Liked

Of course, that little scheme relies on one of the participants not running off with the 800,000B when it's his turn to have it in his bank, right?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sorry I realise everyone is at different places in their lives and things happen that affect peoples finances etc but is it not reasonable to expect or assume that once you reach the age where you're retiring to Thailand or wherever that it's not an unreasonable expectation that you might have that 800.000 ( £18,000 Stg) stashed away in some bank or other hidihole ?

I mean surely by that point most people who decide to move have sold a house to help relocate, or if not have even just rented out their house and so have some form of even a small rental income ( and one assumes no mortgage needing offset against that anymore?) so reaching either of the governments basic limit requirements wouldn't it appears on first glance to be THAT onerous on a person - and actually more to the point if by that point in life you can't hit those numbers then maybe you DO have a bit of a problem and shouldn't perhaps be thinking of living overseas in the first place when it comes to considering future medical issues arising etc maybe - which is the Governments whole point I'm guessing ?

And again I dont mean the above as a dig or insult towards anyone who is maybe finding themselves in that position I just find it hard to calculate how that might be the case at our rough collective ages ? No doubt I'll soon be informed how that IS very easily the case and how it's easy to find oneself in that position through no fault of that person - and if so I do apologise in advance and repeat no offence is intended in my observation / question.

6. User who gave Like to post:

mr giggles (November 14th, 2018)

Liked

I guess, NIrish, that there may be long term retirees who when they first arrived in Thailand would have had the surplus funds necessary to stick a large amount in the bank to satisfy the Thai authorities, but those "lump sum" funds have over the years dwindled and may be now reliant on pensions or other income to fund their continued retirement there.

Just a guess

8. User who gave Like to post:

francois (November 10th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Yeah I get that - but If one assumed that you want to live on even say a modest £10k STG a year for retirement if it were me I'd like to think I had say two or three years worth of retirement funds put away for when that times comes ( perhaps from the house/rental things as above or other investments / policies coming good) and not be SOLELY dependent on a (state) pension as if I didn't I think I'd honestly be shitting myself.

Maybe I'm just unaware of the pressures that others face on a daily basis re such things as I'm not there age wise yet in life and I've all that to look forward too still ! :-(

Oh and IF that is the case for others I absolutely get that even if things are tight they'd still rather live in the warmth of thailand than the cold UK etc ! That I DO understand.

Banned
    Liked

The most fascinating episode on any ex-pat Forum during my posting absence has been Thai Immigration’s clusterfuck about income verification letters. The new Immigration chief, the aptly-named “Big Joke”, seems to want to be seen to be making a difference without thinking the consequences through. My guess is that the Thais believed it no big deal to insist that as the embassies were certifying income, they should also be required to verify it. Possibly they even thought it means the same thing

It seems some embassies do check that when a citizen makes an income affidavit, they can produce some evidence to back it up, but documentation is easy to forge. A friend uses a rental agreement with a non-existent tenant for a property he used to own back home; he shuffles the same money each month between two different bank accounts in his home country and then uses the statement from one of them to “prove” his significant rental income. The embassy does not verify the genuineness of what they are being shown

The embassies have evidently dug in their heels, asserting that verifying income is not their role. In their own countries it would be the role of the tax authorities, in the sense that it is they who “verify” taxable income by issuing demands for payment of tax on it. Privacy legislation alone means that the taxation authorities cannot share this information will-nilly, another concept (privacy) completely foreign to the Thai bureaucracy

If this were a policy thought out in advance, Thai Immigration would have already published guidelines about how those relying on income can evidence this in future, or announced that the income verification option is being abandoned. Quite clearly, they have been caught flat-footed by the embassies’ response. Needless to say, fuckwit farangs are blaming their embassies and are assuming that somehow this is a deliberate campaign by the Thais to get rid of them. The usual decision between a conspiracy and a cock-up is to choose the cock-up; it much better accords with human nature

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Nirish guy View Post
    Sorry I realise everyone is at different places in their lives and things happen that affect peoples finances etc but is it not reasonable to expect or assume that once you reach the age where you're retiring to Thailand or wherever that it's not an unreasonable expectation that you might have that 800.000 ( £18,000 Stg) stashed away in some bank or other hidihole ?

t no offence is intended in my observation / question.
    First question NIrish guy, is "are you on a retirement extension in Thailand"?

There are many, including myself, who live on a pension which is in excess of the 65K monthly stipulation by Immigration. But we don't have 800,000 Baht to put in an account in a Thai Bank or even in a bank in our home country.
    That is why the new regulation of eliminating the Embassy certification income letter is a big deal!

Thus it is not reasonable to expect that we have 800,000 in a hidihole or a bank!

Forum's veteran
    Liked

what a sorry state of affairs where 800K is ....a considerable amount!!!