Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiang Mai Lantern Festival

Liked

Chiang Mai Lantern Festival

This festival is the same time as Loi Kratong and used to be a wonderful, fun and beautiful event. They would fill the night sky with lanterns. I have already scheduled a trip there but just learned that the event has been changed. It is no longer in the city but is now 30 kilometers out of town and there is a 4000 baht charge to see it. A real downer for me.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Chiang Mai Lantern Festival

Quote Originally Posted by kjun12 View Post
    This festival is the same time as Loi Kratong and used to be a wonderful, fun and beautiful event. They would fill the night sky with lanterns. I have already scheduled a trip there but just learned that the event has been changed. It is no longer in the city but is now 30 kilometers out of town and there is a 4000 baht charge to see it. A real downer for me.
    I think you're referring to the specially-designated lantern-release areas outside of the city in Mae Jo, Doi Saket and Mae Rim which require a ticket admission. Yes, they are expensive-ish but because of the sheer number of people releasing lanterns at the same time, the view is truly breathtaking.

You can still take part in the festivities in the city which are free. People will be releasing lanterns around Thapae Gate, Wat Pan Tao, Three Kings Monument and Wat Lok Moli, which are all within walking distance of each other - you might have to walk anyway as some of the main roads in that area may be closed to vehicles. The opening ceremony is traditionally held at the Three Kings Monument. Maenam Ping will be where the main krathong-releasing festivities will be centred. Watch out for the fireworks; people have been hurt.

Loy Kratong is my favourite Thai festival - have fun!

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 17th, 2018), Eddie (November 26th, 2018), Patanawet (November 14th, 2018)

Liked

@sglad thank you very much for this information. This will make my trip much more enjoyable.
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.

Liked

4000 baht is outrageous. Go to Pattaya, it's free there and the beaches are awash with parties.

6. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (November 17th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    4000 baht is outrageous. Go to Pattaya, it's free there and the beaches are awash with parties.
    True but tread carefully as you wouldn't want to trip on a dead whale in speedos.

8. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 14th, 2018)

Liked

Oh he's not dead. He's just mentally preparing for the effort required to get up and go to the all-you-can-eat buffet.

If you've got 10 minutes to spare might I recommend John Pinette's skit on that very subject on YouTube.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by kjun12 View Post
    @sglad thank you very much for this information. This will make my trip much more enjoyable.
    You're welcome. Last year we floated our kratongs and released our lanterns in the Maenam Ping/Nawarat Bridge area. If I remember correctly, we could only release the lanterns between 7 pm and 1 am on the second and third days. If I'm not mistaken, the rules are negotiated year to year by the City with air traffic controllers. For more detailed information on this year's celebrations, check out the following link. There's even a timetable of the activities being organised by the City that you can print out or save in your phone.

https://www.chiangmaitraveller.com/2...ern-festivals/

11. User who gave Like to post:

Tintin (November 16th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    For more detailed information on this year's celebrations, check out the following link. There's even a timetable of the activities being organised by the City that you can print out or save in your phone.

https://www.chiangmaitraveller.com/2...ern-festivals/
    Thanks sglad for the link.
    There is news on today's Khaosod about flights being cut or modified for Chiang Mai airport during the period 21- 23 November.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2...nt-hit-planes/

I think that lantern flying is allowed everywhere between 6(or7) p.m. 'till o1:00.
    Perhaps the 4000 Baht festival that the OP refers to is some organised event.

I have been many years running and always had fun at a riverside (bankside) restaurant or on the bridge.

I still cannot figure out why Loy Khratong, this year, is on the 22nd and not on 23rd which is the full moon night.
    Of course not all the celebrations in Chiang Mai are Loy Khratong but also Yee Peng.

Loy Khratong , unlike Songkran, is not a public holiday in Thailand.

Enjoy, and maybe I'll see you there amongst the many thousands.

13. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (November 15th, 2018)

Liked

kjun12 The mass lantern release festival, which I think you are referring to, was never during Loy Krathong itself, and never in the city. The confusion comes as pictures of this event have become synonymous with Loy Krathong and are often used to promote it. The massive event, used to be held in a field near Mae Jo University (maybe 10km out of town) and was organised by a nearby temple. It was free, except you had to buy your lantern there and I believe some of the proceeds went to the temple. It was usually on a Saturday, early evening a week or two before or after Loy Khratong itself. The event was so successful someone setup another one for "tourists" which is nothing to do with the original, and for which they charge a considerable sum. I think this is the 4,000 Bt event you are referring to. Avoid, it's a rip off.

I'm not sure what's happened with the event the last couple of years. It became a victim of it's own success with major traffic and transport problems with tens of thousands attending. I heard it was stopped as a result, though there was talk of alternatives starting up.

Kom Loy lanterns have always been a part of Loy Khratong/Yee Peng in Chiang Mai and their release was widespread all over the city throughout Loy Khratong and a few days either side. With the big increase in visitors and flights, along with a few fires started every year, the authorities have tried to clamp down and now the release of Kom Loys is permitted only within very limited hours during Yee Peng. These, the scene down on the river and the parades still make Yee Peng a great festival and well worth enjoying.

Don't underrate the parades; they have plenty of eye candy with lots of young guys from the colleges scantily clad in just loin cloths carrying their Khratongs in the parade.

Hat tip to http://asiancoop.com/ for the pics
    Chiang Mai Connoisseur - [url=http://www.gayinchiangmai.com/News/]www.gayinchiangmai.com[/url] and [url=http://www.bontong.com/]www.bontong.com[/url]

15. 11 Users gave Like to post:

a447 (November 15th, 2018), Captain Swing (November 15th, 2018), christianpfc (November 17th, 2018), Doofus (November 15th, 2018), Jellybean (November 15th, 2018), lukylok (November 15th, 2018), Patanawet (November 15th, 2018), Smiles (November 16th, 2018), snotface (November 15th, 2018), splinter1949 (November 15th, 2018), Tintin (November 16th, 2018)

Liked

Thank you Bon Tong for clarifying this for myself and others.
    Will Rogers said, "I never met a man I didn't like", but he never met Donald Trump.