Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You Can Be Banned But You Cannot Delete Your Own Membership

Forum's veteran Manforallseasons's Avatar
    Liked

You Can Be Banned But You Cannot Delete Your Own Membership

I asked the owner of this board how to delete my membership and was told there is no option on this forum to delete your membership!
    I wonder when I see the large number of members how many actually exist other than Latin, Scottish and Arsenal?
    "In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

Liked

Re: You Can Be Banned But You Cannot Delete Your Own Membership

Correct. Forum has no such option: member can't delete his profile and posts from forum.

Ban is also not a deletion: member loses possibility to login, but his profile and posts still exist.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

MFAS will be devastated to know that my enquiry (some months ago), received the same response.

It must be a fairly new policy - as there are thousands of non-identifiable posts from me which appear in the forum and date from when the Fat Cunt deleted my ID and before Surfcrest invited me back.

All those previous posts still exist but my ID disappeared from them.

Liked

Forum got non-identifiable posts at time of 2 conversions from one engine to another. Also about 50 members with non-Latin letters in nicknames are now "guest".
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Manforallseasons View Post
    I asked the owner of this board how to delete my membership and was told there is no option on this forum to delete your membership!
    I believe this is common practice on most forums.

Always best to remember 4 key points:

1 Anything you write may be on the board for a very long time & you have no rights to delete it.

2 A board may shut down & you have not control over that either. For example, if you took the trouble to post detailed photo trip reports for all those trips up country on the Ting Tong forum, they are no longer accessible.

3 Board ownership and policies may change.

4 If the management of any board changes and they want to merge your material onto a "Gay Whoring.Com" board, you probably have no control over that either.

So most people chose not to use their real names.

6. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 7th, 2018), christianpfc (November 8th, 2018), Surfcrest (November 9th, 2018)

Liked

Well I hope you don't leave MFAS. I enjoy your pithy comments. Even when they're directed at me.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Moses - firstly let me be clear - this is just a conversation and a chit chat - not an attack or a comment on your running of the board......so, dont be getting all defensive - we're just chatting.....

So, was just thinking there whist I know the board "runs" from Canada now and so i assume under Canadian law etc but as some of it's members are based and log in from within the EU has the recent GDRP regulations coming into force ( such as that very right to be able to delete oneself or request / demand same from sites etc) had any effect on things in your thinking yet?

I ask this know I've logged into a few US sites and have gotten a pop window basically saying "sorry it's to much shit for us to deal with GDPR basically so rather than deal with it we've decided that we're no longer making our site available within the EU" ( or words to that effect).

So, has that cropped up yet in your line of future proofing thinking or are you just ignoring that end of things for now perhaps - and if so I wouldn't blame you but he way as I'm doing something very similar in my own businesses just now too as to try and decipher all the GDPR rules and stay 110% on the right side of the rules to me appears to be almost impossible ( and WAY to bloody time consuming and expensive for a small business (IMHO), but I think the Government know that too and thats why SME's aren't who they're chasing after anyway (just yet)

So, the Board and GDPR and the EU and their RIGHT to cancel etc, what's your view there re all of that perhaps ???

And again just so we're clear this is just a conversation NOT a criticism or attack so take a big deep breath before you answer ! :-)

Liked

Very shortly: forum collects Nickname, email and IP. Since all 3 type of data don't linked to any person (First Name, Last Name, date а birth and so on), I don't see how it may be linked to GDPR. Nobody asks member to disclose real name, and we ask members to keep anonymity. IP or nickname of anonymous person aren't "personal data".

When developers of forum software will make GDPR module - I will install it. Till that time SGT serves members "as is".

10. User who gave Like to post:

goji (November 9th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Hmmm i think you're probably right, Good answer. That simple fact of no names being stored etc hadn't occured to me.

However, I wonder as email addresses are stored ( which in turn is classed at some level of the creatation of a database) if GDPR rules do apply, at least to EU memebers details ? I think maybe. However I also think your idea of leaving things until some else comes up with a solution is a very good idea too !

Liked

In my line of work GDPR compliance is already starting to unravel.

When it all came into effect (just a few weeks ago) all the Client data I routinely receive from third parties (which by necessity includes name, address, DOB, phone numbers, email address and much more was coming to me zipped, encrypted, and password protected.

Within a few weeks it has reverted to standard emails containing basic word documents.