FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia ending Income Verification Letters

Liked

Australia ending Income Verification Letters

Tj

Liked

Re: Australia ending Income Verification Letters

I've heard the saying "2 can live as cheaply as 1" but apparently in Thailand 2 can live for 1/2 the price of 1.

Except for homosexual couples presumably - when 2 can live for double the cost of 1

Liked

First the UK then the US and now Australia. Canada, New Zealand and others to follow presumably. I wonder why now this clearly co-ordinated decision.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    First the UK then the US and now Australia. Canada, New Zealand and others to follow presumably. I wonder why now this clearly co-ordinated decision.
    This snippet from the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok:
    "Notary services and passport services will continue to be provided by the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok."
    http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...a.aspx?lang=en.

I've not seen this before so I am assumimg it is in reference to these latest changes in notary services by a number of countries ~~ specifically regarding the annual income letter.
    FYI: The 'notary services' office within the Embassy is where the notarised ~ by a Notary Public ~ income letters are issued for Thai Immigration.

Future unknown yet (for Canada) ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

5. User who gave Like to post:

DoubleDutch (November 3rd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    This snippet from the Canadian Embassy in Bangkok: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...a.aspx?lang=en.

I'
    But Canadian embassy always wanted to see paperwork for income, yes? So if Canadian embassy will also end the income letter, what would this change?
    So far Canadians did not have hold 800k Baht in Thai bank, yes? But did the monthly 65k have to be deposited in Thai bank, or was embassy letter enough for Immigration?

Liked

Bb
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    But Canadian embassy always wanted to see paperwork for income, yes?

Yes. I mentioned this a few pages back.
    For instance, I bring my previous year's tax return. On my first visit 10 years ago I lugged a whole raft of paper work along with me. Once I received my income letter I asked the embassy Notary what he considered the be the best proof of income (as opposed to my 5 kilos of paper). He said my tax return (2 pages). That's all I bring and there has never been an issue with that.

So if Canadian embassy will also end the income letter, what would this change?

Probably. My days of annual Embassy runs would sadly be over.

So number one ... I could transfer 800,000 baht into a separate count with KrungThai Bank. Once deposited I'd just leave it there, never touching it. The bank would notarise that for Thai Immigration.
    Also that's the simplest but I really don't want to go that route ... I'd rather have it sitting in an investment account back in Canada producing dividends.

So number two ... I'd have to go to my Thai bank and ask them for a notarised printout of my savings account showing, that yes, I do indeed have at the very least 65,000 baht deposited by me every month. That's the most annoying process but as I don't wish to go the 800,000 baht route, I'd probably end up doing that.

So far Canadians did not have hold 800k Baht in Thai bank, yes? But did the monthly 65k have to be deposited in Thai bank, or was embassy letter enough for Immigration?

No. As it is now, the Embassy notary, after studying my tax return, produces a notarized letter made out to Thai Immigration indicating that this dude has annual income of at least 800,000 baht. (They give the specific income amount).
    The 65,000 baht deposited monthly into a Thai bank account is never mentioned, either by the Embassy or Thai Immigration.
    Up to now this letter has been accepted by Immigration for the last decade. Stamp stamp stamp ... thanks sir, that will be 1,900 baht. Bye bye, see you next year.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Sorry, I'm a little confused by all this. If you're already living in Thailand, isn't it safe to assume that you can afford to live there? Why all this mumbo jumbo about proving your income? Can't an expat just show the authorities their bank statement?

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    Sorry, I'm a little confused by all this. If you're already living in Thailand, isn't it safe to assume that you can afford to live there? Why all this mumbo jumbo about proving your income? Can't an expat just show the authorities their bank statement?
    Oh dear.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    Oh dear.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

i hadnt realised it was so cheap and easy to get Thai residency...no wonder the place is awash with derelict looking fossils...