Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Racist Comment of the Year

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Racist Comment of the Year

Quote Originally Posted by gerefan2 View Post
    Can someone remind me which country rules does this board work to?
    No country. Just whatever rules a moderator or group of moderators feel like cooking up at the time to suit themselves.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Have a good sleep.

It's clear that you are now pinning your defence on only a "group" of Cambodians being insulted (they all look the same) rather than the whole Cambodian nation being insulted.

Perhaps when you wake up you'll realise how ridiculous that position is - it's possible to racially insult a single person (and be potentially locked up for it) never mind a group

Are you seriously suggesting that Newbie99 would find himself in trouble with EU law because of his comments? Surely not.

In any case, EU laws are only valid in EU countries and have no relevance here.

Also, you are missing the most important point. His comments did not refer to their ethnic appearance. Saying a group of people look alike because of their outward appearance -their clothes, hair styles, bulked-up bodies, etc - is not racist.

It falls under freedom of speech.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by sglad View Post
    No country. Just whatever rules a moderator or group of moderators feel like cooking up at the time to suit themselves.
    The "cooked-up" rules were taken out of the oven long before you arrived on the scene.

But I can still serve them up to you, even though they've now gone rather cold. Here they are :

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...amp-guidelines

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    Are you seriously suggesting that Newbie99 would find himself in trouble with EU law because of his comments? Surely not.

In any case, EU laws are only valid in EU countries and have no relevance here.

Also, you are missing the most important point. His comments did not refer to their ethnic appearance. Saying a group of people look alike because of their outward appearance -their clothes, hair styles, bulked-up bodies, etc - is not racist.

It falls under freedom of speech.
    No I'm not suggesting the board falls under EU rules or Australian rules for that matter.

The fact is you started off by quoting an online dictionary at me, and what I'm doing by mentioning 27 EU countries is pointing out and giving evidence of the weight of legal and public opinion as to what constitutes a racist remark nowadays and how it has evolved from a dictionary definition. But you knew that anyway didn't you, and you're simply grandstanding.

Neither am I suggesting that Newbie would face sanction from EU law for a post on this board as it is obviously outwith EU jurisdiction, but I'll tell you this - if he made those remarks in the UK and there were complaints, he'd be getting a visit from the cops (as would the publisher of the remarks) and that's no exaggeration. It happens regularly with comments made on Twitter, and offended people are very quick to report stuff these days.

Secondly - if Newbie99 had said any of the stuff you point to about "clothes, hair styles, bulked-up bodies", then you might have an argument. Unfortunately for your argument, he said none of that and (as I've already said) you're now just inventing stuff. What he did say was that they "came out of the same cookie cooker". Now I don't know about you but I have never heard of existing cookies being put into a cookie cooker for modification, they are put into a cookie cooker to be made therefore it could easily be deemed to be a reference to their ethnic appearance.

Finally there is "freedom of speech" only as long as it does not break the law or offend people. If you truly believe there is total "freedom of speech" then I invite you to post some disparaging remarks about the Thai Royal family on this board and see where it gets you and your boss. I suspect you'd be arguing about freedom of speech from a cell in the "Bangkok Hilton".

Whether you and Moses like it or not, the world is moving on and there are certain things that just cannot be said any more. Saying a group of people all look alike is fine - but once you bring Nationality into it you're treading on very dodgy ground. Both you and Moses have spent more time and effort trying to browbeat me (which you'll never succeed in doing) than you have spent addressing the original remarks. And frankly, that's shameful.

Liked

you're simply grandstanding.
    you....have spent more time and effort trying to browbeat me
    OMFG a447 I never thought you'd stoop to lying, but you have:
    you're losing the plot
    get lost.
    Such insults suggest you know you were losing the argument. I was enjoying the discussion until you decided to get down in the gutter. With you of all people, I expected better.

As yet, not one single member has supported your view. Perhaps unlike yourself, we know the situation in Jomtien Complex and so understand exactly what Newbie99 was describing - their appearance tailored to the needs of their customers. So it was obvious to those familiar with JC that his comments were in no way racist.

What do you know that we don't?

That's it! I've had enough!

Case dismissed.

Liked

None of the above quotes are insults ("losing the plot" may be borderline) - they are comments on your contribution to this debate and I don't retract or regret any of them.

It's actually not a popularity contest, but I would point out that Sglad has in fact supported my view, but no doubt you'll dismiss that as some kind of plot to get at you.

I'm pretty sure Arsenal will have supported your view but then again if I said the sun rises in the East and sets in the West and somebody else denied it, he would automatically take the denier's side. As I say, it's immaterial to me either way.

You might wish to consider that a considerable percentage of contributing members may be in the older age bracket and possibly less aware of what kind of terminology and language is or is not acceptable these days.

Being considerably younger than most, utterly fabulous and down with the cool kids - I'm much more up to date .

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    utterly fabulous and down with the cool kids - I'm much more up to date .
    Well now, I'm sorry to be the one to break it to you BUT it seems you're now officially old as if YOU were as down with the cool kids as you believe you'd realise (as I now know what with me being WAY younger and more hip and trendy and "with it" and all - probably you'd realise that cool kids is now in fact OUT and they're now referred to as KOOL kids - with a K no less !

But hey I know it's hard to keep up, but don't worry just like in "Interview with a vampire" ( what a great movie btw) I, just like the beautiful Louis will keep you, the ageing Lestat, current and up to date and "with it"........it's ok, you dont need to thank me, you're welcome ! he he

8. User who gave Like to post:

scottish-guy (November 8th, 2018)

Liked

I've waited a couple of days for the heat to die down.

Below is the screenshot of the original post which sparked the debate. Unlike the selective quotes which have been previously posted, it is unedited.

It has been suggested that Newbie99 meant that the Cambodian boys in Jomtien "modified their appearance" to "all look alike" , rather than meaning they all look alike 'ethnically'.

In fact, you'll see that Newbie99 comments specifically on their height and musculature in comparison to the Thai boys. It's a long process to "modify" one's musculature and has anyone ever tried "modifying" their height?

Are we now to be told that Newbie99 meant the Cambodian boys all went out and bought gym memberships and elevator shoes?

It's clear to me (and it ought to be clear to any fair minded reader) that the original comment had absolutely nothing to do with "modifying" appearance.

As for why the original post differs substantially from the edited and paraphrased versions or snippets which were presented as a defence - well, that's for others to explain

cookie cooker.jpg

Liked

Anyone really want to feed this troll clearly trolling for another shitfest.

Liked

FAN#2 still stalking every single post I make - if only there were rules to prevent this