Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Racist Comment of the Year

Liked

Re: WTF in Jomtien Complex

So when Trump talked about Mexicans all being "drug dealers, criminals and rapists" - it wasn't a racist comment because Mexicans aren't a race?

Well if that's seriously your argument you'd better tell almost the whole world, Moses - because it disagrees with you. Try Googling the reaction to that statement he made. It's been roundly condemned as racist all over the world.

Your argument is 50 years out of date - it's accepted nowadays that racist comments can refer to race/ethnicity/colour/nationality.

But hey, what do I care - publish as many racist comments as you like - it's not me or my website that'll come under scrutiny.

Anyway, if and when you do come under scrutiny you can just respond with "Nope" because despite having little more than a rudimentary grasp of the English language it's only your opinion that matters. Yeah, that'll fly.

2. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (November 2nd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    So when Trump talked about Mexicans all being "drug dealers, criminals and rapists" - it wasn't a racist comment because Mexicans aren't a race?

Well if that's seriously your argument you'd better tell almost the whole world, Moses - because it disagrees with you. Try Googling the reaction to that statement he made. It's been roundly condemned as racist all over the world.

Your argument is 50 years out of date - it's accepted nowadays that racist comments can refer to race/ethnicity/colour/nationality.

But hey, what do I care - publish as many racist comments as you like - it's not me or my website that'll come under scrutiny.

Anyway, if and when you do come under scrutiny you can just respond with "Nope" because despite having little more than a rudimentary grasp of the English language it's only your opinion that matters. Yeah, that'll fly.
    "Mexicans" is the word for to name ethnicity and citizens. So in "Trump's case" it may be racism. "Our case" is different: exist 2 words, these words clearly show when person is talking about ethnicity and when about citizenship.
    Bali (Indonesia), Cambodia, Myanmar, Philippines, Thailand, Vietnam and Laos: gay guides and companions http://siamroads.com

Liked

It might help if he went to Jomtien Complex and saw for himself the Cambodian boys working there. Then he might understand the point that Newbie was making. As the rest of us so clearly do.

5. 3 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 2nd, 2018), Newbie99 (November 2nd, 2018), pennyboy (November 2nd, 2018)

Liked

racism
    /ˈreɪsɪz(ə)m/
    noun
    1. prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior."

* the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races."theories of racism"
    According to the above definition, Newbie99's post was in no way racist.

He was describing the body type and apparent sexual orientation of a specific group of guys, most of whom just happen to come from Cambodia and whose appearance is deliberately tailored to suit a certain audience.

He was not extrapolating his comments to refer to all people who live in Cambodia. Nor did he say they were Khmer. Nor was he saying that his own race is in any way superior to theirs.

Thoughtlessly throwing around the word "racist" at the drop of a hat cheapens the meaning of the word, especially when the accuser apparently confuses ethnicity and citizenship.

7. 4 Users gave Like to post:

bobsaigon2 (November 2nd, 2018), Moses (November 2nd, 2018), Newbie99 (November 2nd, 2018), pennyboy (November 2nd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Moses View Post
    Again: nope. For to talk about race he should use word "Khmer". "Cambodian" - is word for to name citizen of Cambodia.
    The Cambodian I barfined came from Siem Riiep, which part of Thailand until about 1900. So, he may ethnically Thai.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

one way to kill a conversation...just scream racist...

10. User who gave Like to post:

arsenal (November 2nd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post

Thoughtlessly throwing around the word "racist" at the drop of a hat cheapens the meaning of the word, especially when the accuser apparently confuses ethnicity and citizenship.
    It's you who is confused a447 - time to take your nose out of a dictionary and lift your eyes to what, in 2018, the world sees as racism.

In 2018 you simply can not say that a bunch of Cambodians/Japanese/Chinese all look alike (funny how it's never said about Westerners, eh?) - but good luck in your new role as King Canute, attempting to roll back the tide.

12. User who gave Like to post:

sglad (November 2nd, 2018)

Liked

Incorrect use and misunderstanding of the apocryphal King Canute fable.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King...e_and_the_tide

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    It's you who is confused a447 - time to take your nose out of a dictionary and lift your eyes to what, in 2018, the world sees as racism.

In 2018 you simply can not say that a bunch of Cambodians/Japanese/Chinese all look alike (funny how it's never said about Westerners, eh?) - but good luck in your new role as King Canute, attempting to roll back the tide.
    The problem is, some want to re-define the definition if it doesn't suit them. I'm happy to stick with the original until such time as it is updated.

Newbie99 did not say that all Cambodians all look alike.

When I was living in Japan I was told on a few occasions that Westerners all look alike. However, I doubt that is a widely held belief.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    The problem is, some want to re-define the definition if it doesn't suit them. I'm happy to stick with the original until such time as it is updated.
    So how is your definition the original? By what authority? By what consensus? Please support your assertions.

Homosexuality used to be regarded as a form of mental illness and by some religions, an abomination, but that is no longer an acceptable belief as times have changed, understandings have changed and attitudes have changed. If you want to think of yourself as mentally ill and an abomination, FINE. But please step down as moderator as, by your own fanatically "original" definition of things, you're mentally ill and not fit to be one.