Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few reflections on my return to Pattaya

Forum's veteran
    Liked

A few reflections on my return to Pattaya

For the second time, P and I spent a few days in the Jomtien Complex. Although the number of visitors was low, and not just gay ones judging by the small numbers of guests in our hotel, the guys in the host bars were there in abundance, as were the masseurs. Good humour and friendliness all around us, despite what must be trying times.

A word of commendation for Dick's Cafe; good food at a reasonable price and with cheerful service.

Moving onto Boyztown last evening, again the number of visitors was disappointing. We noticed in the Royal Garden area that there seemed to be many more Indians and, perhaps fewer Chinese than when we were here in June. Another thread has dealt with the current issues relating Chinese tourism so I'll say no more.

It was sad to see that two premises that once housed stalwarts of Boyztown's better days, Oscar's and Prisma/Funnyboys, are still closed. On the other hand, Le Cafe Royal will soon be up-and-running. I'm told that 50m baht has been spent on refurbishment and, from what I could see, the interior looks very smart.

The owners ( whom I heard to be the same as BBB) were trying- out its sound system in the late afternoon/ early evening. It was overwhelming, particularly with the doors open. The venue is allegedly planning to operate until 0200 and other businesses are concerned that the level of noise will drive customers away from other bars and, of course, the hotels. So I hope the doors will be kept closed so that the needs of those of us who like to have a drink with our boyfriends, or just chat....or even sleep, will be respected.

More investment in Boyztown is welcome. With money being spent on Ambiance and this new music venue (it includes, God help us, karaoke) I hope that the two venues I mentioned earlier can also be sold. I suspect that the coming High Season will be even more important than usual.

2. 4 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 12th, 2018), paborn (October 17th, 2018), Smiles (October 12th, 2018), Up2U (October 12th, 2018)

Liked

Re: A few reflections on my return to Pattaya

Nice report Oliver. If the new owners of Cafe Royal are indeed the people behind BBB can we ecpect guys in their 40s masquerading as go go boys and extortionate pricing?

Forum's veteran
    Liked

I'd be interested to learn what the business model is. I haven't been in BBB for fifteen years- not my cup of green tea- but it's popular. Do the owners expect the New Cafe Rpyal to attract the same market? One of the other BT managers to whom I spoke yesterday said that there'd be live music- electric guitars were thumping away in practice sessions yesterday- plus a DJ in between acts, or whatever they're called, that the karoake will be in a sound-proofed room, and that there will be some sort of show. I assumed this means something similar to the ladyboy shows we all know and....well, some of us anyway....love.
    Will live acts attract a non-gay audience? Or a younger audience, if one exists in Pattaya?
    I make no secret of my aversion to the sort of thumping music that can be heard across the entertainment venues of Pattaya, and if the comforts and coziness of my evenings and nights with P are disturbed, that aversion turns quickly to fury.....but I do want the new venture to be a success and help to revitalise Boyztown.

5. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 12th, 2018), paborn (October 17th, 2018)

Liked

Yes. I suspect that all of us who go and play in Pattaya would prefer an open venue that sometines annoys us to a closed empty space.

Which is not the case here where a few closed and empty spaces would be most welcome. Haha. No names required methinks.

Liked

Quote from Oliver2:
    I'd be interested to learn what the business model is. I haven't been in BBB for fifteen years- not my cup of green tea- but it's popular. Do the owners expect the New Cafe Rpyal to attract the same market? One of the other BT managers to whom I spoke yesterday said that there'd be live music- electric guitars were thumping away in practice sessions yesterday- plus a DJ in between acts, or whatever they're called, that the karoake will be in a sound-proofed room, and that there will be some sort of show. I assumed this means something similar to the ladyboy shows we all know and....well, some of us anyway....love.

The money going into Café Royal is believed to be Chinese. Ownership of BBB and café Royal is the same.
    Hence I suspect that the business model will be aimed at Chinese customers.
    Look at BBB, many Chinese people going in, many female. Announcements in Chinese.
    Falang customers in there are almost an endangered species.
    So at café Royal, what is offered may not appeal to falangs, who, let's face it, are a fading part of the market these days.
    ..........and that's the way it is.

8. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (October 13th, 2018)

Liked

Chinese interests appear to be attempting to buy up most (all?) of the businesses in Boyztown and establish a stranglehold on the market.

At present they own Le Cafe Royal, Boyzboyzboyz and the Ambiance. The Swiss guy I was talking to on the verandah of the Ambiance told me that the owner of Copa is still trying to hold on to his business, but at the end of the day, money talks. Perhaps he is holding out for a better offer.

So the Chinese market will be almost fully catered for in that soi - a show bar tame enough to suit the sensibilities of the ladies, an exclusive karaoke club and a refurbished, rather more up-market hotel. Even a gogo bar to cater to the horny gay males. All they need to do is bus them all in every night then sit back and count the profits.

As a farang the soi no longer interests me.

10. 2 Users gave Like to post:

frequent (October 13th, 2018), splinter1949 (October 13th, 2018)

Liked

Well I genuinely don't know what you're gonna do then a447 because if BT doesn't interest you any more (or at least that Soi), if Sunee is on its last legs (as it surely is), and if Jomtiem continues to have no gogo but only beer bars which have been described as "all the same" and a hotel/entertainment venue that's been up for sale for months - then it really doesn't augur well for your future enjoyment or for the enjoyment of most others, to be honest.

Take into account that the gay scene in Phuket is a shadow of what it used to be, that CM as a gay centre is (and was always) shite, and that nobody really knows whats going on with the horrendously expensive BKK scene, it leaves only the Soi of Sleaze - featuring Golden Cock and a couple of others.

May as well stay home and spend that £4K holiday trip money on local boys from Grindr etc - the availability of which is often overlooked?

Liked

If I didn't have Nom waiting for me in Pattaya I'd only make short trips to visit Goodboys, Niceboys and Eros.

When I'm with Nom I don't go to any gay establishments.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

The "app scene" is flourishing....and perhaps this is a big part of the problem. There's also the fact that we older gentlemen who ploughed money into the bars twenty years ago are likely to have settled down with one guy....or to have passed away and not be replaced.

14. User who gave Like to post:

DoubleDutch (October 13th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottishguy
    Take into account that the gay scene in Phuket is a shadow of what it used to be, that CM as a gay centre is (and was always) shite, and that nobody really knows whats going on with the horrendously expensive BKK scene, it leaves only the Soi of Sleaze - featuring Golden Cock and a couple of others.
    Utter rubbish, as usual, spouted by the infamous wannabe who has no relevant first-hand experience upon which to base his assertions.

The Phuket gay scene is alive and vibrant, but no longer revolving around old-school closed-front go-go bars like Uncle Charlie’s, Young Shark and SuperBoy which have indeed long since passed. But there are still 3 such venues: MyWay/Yes in its new location, Mo2 and of course Passport. The scene is now out in the open across the Soi and centered around the likes of Zag, BoatBar, Sundowners and Connect. There are even several ‘rub and tug’ massage houses like Naka, Blue Dolphin and Aquarius to add a further dimension.

As for the “horrendously expensive BKK scene”, those of us who actually visit do know that Soi 2, Soi 4 and successful bars like Jupiter, Moonlight and DreamBoys are all crowded with young Asian customers coming from Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taipei and Seoul where they are used to paying $10~15 per drink in a bar anyway and are happy to do so in Bangkok. ฿350~500 might be seem expensive compared to a pint of Punk at Sir John Moore Weatherspoons at Glasgow Central, but they cater to a different demographic.

16. 3 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (October 13th, 2018), ggobob (October 16th, 2018), paborn (October 17th, 2018)