Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help

Thread: When Barry met Leo

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Liked

Re: When Barry met Leo

You said - quote: "No one in Thailand uses the word gik..". Are Thai's not in Thailand? How am I putting words in your mouth. You are now saying you never said Thai's, yet what does 'No one in Thailand' mean to you exactly?

Regardless - You do make some good comments here on the forum - I will give you that - but I would just encourage to stop generalizing - Saying words like nobody uses, no one does this, etc., assumes that we are alike - and that is just not the case. I have not always lived in Khon Kaen, for example. When I first moved to Thailand in '98, I lived in Chiang Mai for 4 years. The pollution and traffice - not to mention the swarms of white people - got to be too much for me, so I moved to Bangkok. I met my husband there (just to be clear - we are legally married in America - so he is my husband, no matter what Thailand says) and we lived for 5 years until moving to Khon Kaen 9 years ago. Most of our gay friends are in Bangkok and Chiang Mai, while we have many straight friends in KK. Many of them do use the word 'gik'. Now, perhaps your friends do not - kudos to them - You know I rarely agree with Matt, but when he is right, he is right. I even have a friend in Koh Samiu who, before he and his boyfriend decided to be exclusive, openly told others that he had a gik. To me, it sounds much better than 'I am having an affair', or 'I am sleeping around...'. Gik says it all in one simple word. Just because I do not have a gik - and my husband would kill me if I did - does not mean I don't know what the word means.

Cheers -

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    No no no, don't twist this, don't put words in my mouth! I never said Thais, when talking to each other don't use "gik", are we Thais here? Are we speaking Thai here on SGT? We all foreigners, and use English here. What words, what terms Thais use in their daily language with each other is not the issue at hand.

Lets not start measuring contest who's been here longer, I have lived here for years, I moved here in 2003, but lately I only spend time between September to March or April. (You see, I fell for it, and participated in your measuring contest.). Let's not, ok?

Back to topic, when did you last used the term "gik", when talking to fellow foreigner, obviously in your native language, be it English or any other language?

Why is it that I have not heard this word uttered by another fellow foreigner. I texted to 5 friends just now, after reading your post, they were sending 555 to my silly question.
    Anything else I hear every single day when talking to friends, mostly "boy", I myself prefer to say "guy", if the guy is offed from bar, and we bring it up with foreigner friend next day, I use "gogo boy". On apps everybody uses "money boy", or , if guy seems sincerely not there for business, we say "not a money boy"

Gik? Never! And you know it! We are both foreigners, every foreigner here uses same vocabulary. We don't live on different planets, you are in KK, I'm in BKK or Pattaya, but we are both foreigners, we use same words.

I noticed, KK, you never took an issue with the term "curtain motel". Why? You called me out, aggressively, accusing me of not knowing what I'm talking about, when "gik" was the topic. Why not take an issue with both terms that I questioned? Please, I wait for your answer regarding "curtain motel". "Motel", not hotel! When was the last time you used this term in a sentence?

I'm hoping Smiles, Francois, ChristianPFC, MFAS weight in, and if thry use "gik", when speaking to fellow foreigner. I'm not even going to ask their opinion on "curtain motel", it's laughable.

"Hi Christian, I ended up in Ratchaburi tonight, could you recommend a curtain motel here? I need a place to take my gik there." LOL

EDIT, Francois did comment already, I missed it on mobile.

2. User who gave Like to post:

Brad the Impala (November 24th, 2018)