Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: British Embassy to STOP issuing income certifications

Liked

Re: British Embassy to STOP issuing income certifications

Quote Originally Posted by Mancs View Post
    The British Embassy now says the US will stop their letters too, according to an Embassy statement on Thaivisa :

https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic...o-be-affected/
    This will have huge effect on Americans then, too.

Imagine living here full time, for maybe 10 years, and having sold property in US or UK, and then bought a condo here, a very typical scenario.
    So far this retired man had to be over 50, and once a year visit his Embassy, pay small fee, and walk out with income verification letter. Based on that letter, he gets 1 year permit to stay, so called retirement visa.

Trouble is, many many retirees do not make 64.000 b every months. In US that would mean monthly pension of $1930 USD. I know few retired Americans in Pattaya, out 5 guys 1 guy actually receives this amount. Most Americans get $900 to $1200 pension, that is not enough to qualify for 1 year retirement extension.
    I feel really bad for these people, Thailand is the only home they have, nothing back home, Thailand is their home.
    So next there will be mad dash to agents, people who 'help' to have all the necessary paperwork, including Thai bank statements, showing they have necessary 800k on their Thai bank account. This service costs between 20.000 and 25.000 baht, every year. There are people who can't afford these services, a pensioner who gets $900 every month has enough to live here, but not much left for extras.
    What may happen next, is crackdown on agents, who work with IImmigration. That is the day these retired people are truly fucked.

What's really sad, people who I personally know, have nowhere to go back to, no home, no relatives, no friends in the old country. They sold everything when they moved to Thailand.

Retiree will try to sell his condo here, not going to be easy, condo market in Pattaya is already bad, people who bought a 3 Mil condo 10 years ago can't sell it today for 3 Mil. This is true story, American guy, he paid 3 Mil, he now can't get 2.5, and he has it listed for around 3 years now. Market is over saturated, high number of units, not enough buyers, especially for older units.

This is a lesson, never, never buy here more, than you can afford to walk away from. And never sell your home in the old country. A $900 American pension is not enough to even cover rent in major US cities. Wouldn't want this in my old age.

Rent in Thailand, and if you had enough of it here, drop the keys, and take taxi to airport. Live your life at home, where you have health care, and where you treated as equal.

Banned
    Liked

With careful planning 4 guys can shuffle the same 800K between themselves to satisfy the assets test rather than the income test. A friend of mine has a lucrative line in lending his money out to a close circle of friends all the while earning better rate of interest, tax free, than he’d be getting on deposit with a bank. Unfortunately I suspect such planning is beyond the abilities of many

3. User who gave Like to post:

Patanawet (October 12th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    With careful planning 4 guys can shuffle the same 800K between themselves to satisfy the assets test rather than the income test. A friend of mine has a lucrative line in lending his money out to a close circle of friends all the while earning better rate of interest, tax free, than he’d be getting on deposit with a bank. Unfortunately I suspect such planning is beyond the abilities of many
    Interesting. And as you said, beyond ability of many, certainly mine.

What about you, frequent, ever thought about selling your 4th floor walk up, and move to Jomtien? You may even have hot water in Thailand, we have those wonderful water heaters next to showers, when you want hot water, you press the red button. Water pressure is not so good, but it gets luke warm, eventually!
    Ever thought about moving here?

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleDutch View Post
    What about you, frequent, ever thought about selling your 4th floor walk up, and move to Jomtien? You may even have hot water in Thailand, we have those wonderful water heaters next to showers, when you want hot water, you press the red button. Water pressure is not so good, but it gets luke warm, eventually! Ever thought about moving here?
    I do have some standards

Liked

I do have some standards
    That is exactly why I'd love to see you operate one of those hot water machines. I bet you'd feel terribly awkward.

Banned
    Liked

That is exactly why I'd love to see you operate one of those hot water machines. I bet you'd feel terribly awkward.
    That's what servants are for

Liked

That's what servants are for
    Well, should you visit these parts, I'll operate the water machine for you, no need to bring full household staff along, give them a week off

Banned
    Liked

Well, should you visit these parts, I'll operate the water machine for you, no need to bring full household staff along, give them a week off
    It's very kind of you to offer, but I warn you I'll expect the full body servant experience - in the shower with me, washing all those hard to reach places, crouching down to wash my feet, drying me with a warm, fluffy towel and later helping me to dress in the full Grand Levee style as decreed (I understand) by Louis XIV's gay brother, the Duke of Orleans. Are you up to that?

Liked

It's very kind of you to offer, but I warn you I'll expect the full body servant experience - in the shower with me, washing all those hard to reach places, crouching down to wash my feet, drying me with a warm, fluffy towel and later helping me to dress in the full Grand Levee style as decreed (I understand) by Louis XIV's gay brother, the Duke of Orleans. Are you up to that?
    Jesus!! Better bring the full Downton Abbey staff with you then. And you can forget about having access to my hot water machine!

Liked

I... as decreed (I understand) by Louis XIV's gay brother, the Duke of Orleans. Are you up to that?
    Now you are just making things up, when teenager I was huge fan of Alexander Dumas,
    there was no mention of Monsieur beng gay neither in "20 Years After", nor in "10 Years After" trilogy.

And you can forget all about my hot water machine, did I mention that? I hereby rescind my offer!