Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dressing for Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Dressing for Thailand

My suitcase yawns hungrily as I prepare to pack for visit to Thailand number three for 2018. As I took -out my clothes from the cupboard, I was reminded how my kit has changed over the past twenty-three years. In my Pattaya salad-days, I took tailored, short-sleeved shirts and trousers with a crease in my suitcase. As ever, a prisoner to my upbringing, dressing for dinner has always been de rigour while on holiday. Come to think of it, when I used to holiday in Grenada and other Caribbean islands, hotels would insist on such attire. Of course, shorts and T-shirts were fine on the beach....but once it was time for my pina colada and dinner, I obeyed the rules. And was happy to do so.

In the 90s, most of the gay falangs I saw in Boystown dressed in much the same way. An older guy in a bar in shorts was a rare sight. I dressed in much same way as my contemporaries. Now my evening dress consists of chinos, jeans and polo shirts. The more formal stuff ended up in Oxfam shops years ago. Come to think of it, it's probably still there.

I suppose this is progress. As long as we falangs look clean and tidy, dress appropriate to our ages and (for me, very importantly) don't embarrass our tee-raks, then why worry? Not that the issue of dress in Thailand is entirely angst-free for me. P's politeness is such that he'd never criticise directly, but over the past few years he has made it clear that my refusal to buy trousers that are more narrowly-cut than I'm used to has led him, very subtly, to suggest that perhaps my chinos were perhaps a tad old- fashioned.

As usual he won and they are now similar in cut to the ones I demanded of my parents as a young adolescent. Plus ca change. At least he's not insisting that I buy the winkle-pickers with which I was obsessed back then..

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Dressing for Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    At least he's not insisting that I buy the winkle-pickers.
    YET !! Give it time !! :-)

Liked

Spoken like a true Brit, Oliver2. Many farang do wear quite horrible clothes in the evenings such as tanktops/singlets and swim shorts.

Liked

Those are practical clothes, francois, especially for patrons who are partial to niche bars like Good Boys, Eros , etc.
    I hope they include a small bottle of hand sanitiser for the après toilette.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    ...At least he's not insisting that I buy the winkle-pickers with which I was obsessed back then..
    Wouldn't brothel creepers be more appropriate footwear for a night out in the fleshpots of Thailand?

6. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (October 1st, 2018)

Liked

Tank tops in the evening are abominable and the wearer should be shot on the spot. Tank tops show off, unfortunately, the hirsute, the obesity, the meaty soft arms and necks, and an utter lack of character. Tank tops should be worn by no man older than 20.
    Other than that 'comfortability' is my go-to every time. Thailand is a hot country and sweating like a pig in public is about as uncomfortable as I can imagine.
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

8. User who gave Like to post:

francois (October 1st, 2018)

Liked

I do have concerns for the sanity of those men I see wearing jeans, a shirt tucked in, socks and shoes while complaining they're hot.

10. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (October 2nd, 2018)

Liked

I wear shorts in the evenings as it's hot. Unless I'm going somewhere like the bar on top of Banyan Tree.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    I do have concerns for the sanity of those men I see wearing jeans, a shirt tucked in, socks and shoes while complaining they're hot.
    What is wrong with shoes? Are you a flip-flop person?

Liked

Personally, when I first visited in the 1980's it was considered very rude to wear shorts in the city. Only workmen dressed that way. Times have changed. I have ditched jeans as they're just too hot. I tend to wear light weight pants and shoes with socks. The only time I did not wear shoes was a trip when I stayed at the Ambience and never went farther than Toy Boys and even then my footwear was nice leather slip ons that resembled those shower shoes but in good leather.

I may try shorts this coming trip in Jomtien but never in Bangkok. I live in South Florida and still think that at my age I look a fool in tank top and basketball shorts.