arsenal (September 28th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Chiang Mai report 2018

haha....

Liked

Desperation stakes!

I steer clear of low cost airlines, especially Air asia; it has a poor safety record.

That's why I flew directly to Chiang Mai, and took a Thai Airlines flight to Bangkok.

There are two problems I see with budget airlines. First, in an effort to save money they seem only to do the bare minimum when it comes to maintenance.

Secondly, I worry about pilot training. Just because you have a pilot's license doesn't mean you are qualified to fly anywhere. Flying over mountainous terrain requires extra training and certification, as winds can be tricky and the weather can turn nasty very quickly.

Pilots flying in and out of the old Hong Kong airport had to go through rigorous training.

I'm not sure low cost carrier pilots receive that training.

I don't want anything to get between me and boys, especially a plane crash!

6. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (September 28th, 2018), paborn (September 28th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I steer clear of low cost airlines, especially Air asia; it has a poor safety record
    Its safety record, as I recall, is no worse than Singapore Airlines or Qantas, both of who have had crash landings or/and fatalities in the not so distant past. Silk Air which is a Singapore Airlines subsidiary has had at least one crash-by-pilot-suicide. My recollection is that the only notable accidents involving Air Asia were both in relation to flights to some part of Indonesia and both related to their Indonesian subsidiary. Needless to say I use them a lot. At one stage Thai Airways was having so many crashes there were rumours that Star Alliance would throw them out if they had any more, and all the Thailand based airlines have had international sanctions over their safety record, only recently lifted

8. User who gave Like to post:

llz (September 29th, 2018)

Liked

I'm sure I read about two Air Asia flights which had problems flying out of Australia and had to turn back. Both incidents were within a month or so of each other.

Hardy reassuring.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    I'm sure I read about two Air Asia flights which had problems flying out of Australia and had to turn back. Both incidents were within a month or so of each other. Hardy reassuring.
    It would be less reassuring if they had failed to realise there was a problem. Perhaps you are referring to this article from 2017 https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/wa/...807d3044bbe536

Fewer people have died in Air Asia accidents in total than die in Thailand on the roads each and every Songkran holiday

Liked

Perhaps that's true but the Songkran deaths run into thousands (about 52 per day) and Air Asia haven't been going that long.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Perhaps that's true but the Songkran deaths run into thousands (about 52 per day) and Air Asia haven't been going that long.
    I'm glad you concede I'm right - Air Asia deaths IN TOTAL vs. Songkran deaths in ANY SINGLE YEAR

Liked

Well I was actually questioning your choice of comparisons but if your happy with it then so am I.