Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitness Frolics

Liked

Fitness Frolics

I have never, thank goodness, been a fitness fanatic. In fact, there have been quite lengthy periods since I retired to live in Pattaya when I have been - not to mince words - slothful. But every now and then the urge comes over me to stir myself and establish a daily exercise routine of sorts. Well, we're forever being bombarded with media messages that it's a good thing, aren't we? So I was an early-morning jogger for a while, until a case of plantar fasciitis in my right foot put an end to that. Very painful condition, especially that first tentative placing of the foot on the tiled bedroom floor of a morning. Six months of limping and wincing before that wore off.

I then decided that a morning swim in the condo pool was the way to go. Everyone knows how good, good, good swimming is as a form of all-round exercise. Unfortunately, I only have a rather prissy breaststroke at my disposal and I soon developed such an ache in my neck from keeping my head above water that the daily swimming had to stop too.

Tramping up and down the condo's emergency staircase was my next great idea. There are a lot of floors in my condo building, it's not a scheme for the faint-hearted. It got to a point where I could manage three bottom-to-top-floor trampings in one session. Pretty damn impressive, if I say so myself. One morning a Thai girl was sitting on the stairs making a mobile call. As I tramped past her for the third time, her eyes widened in stupid-cow alarm. The look irritated me so much that I nearly turned to face her, waving my arms about and making deep mooing noises, in order to truly alarm her. What put an end to my staircase exercise routine? Knee pain.

Quite a long period followed when I took no exercise at all. I had almost convinced myself that I was finally too old to need to bother about that kind of thing. But earlier this year lingering guilt resurfaced (oh, those sneaky media messages!) and I started jogging again, this time with intervals of walking to make it less stressful. Walk, jog, walk, jog, walk, jog, thirty minutes in all, that's the routine. So far it's been working well. I feel better for it, verging on self-righteousness. My route takes me along Jomtien beach, which at about 7.30am is usually a cheerful sight: cool, clear sunlight, glistening sea, blue-grey islands sharply delineated in the distance, Thais setting up their concessions for the day, a few more Thais and farangs exercising. It's almost possible at such times to convince oneself that Pattaya is a civilised place.

Not all Pattaya residents, as you can imagine, are as diligent and enlightened as I am when it comes to exercise. I have a farang friend who is reluctant in the extreme to shift his fat sorry arse unless he absolutely has to. 'Why do you do all that rushing about?' he'll say to me. 'Do you really hope to extend your stay in this sad prank of a world?' Bit of a philosopher, my friend. He maintains that watching sport on TV is quite enough exercise as far as he's concerned. What an inane sense of humour he has.

A couple of years ago we were sitting outside a Chiang Mai cafe one afternoon, enjoying our coffees. An overweight fortyish farang hoved into view. Technically I suppose he was jogging, but his whole sagging, grimacing demeanour was more suggestive of a punishment drill. As he passed by, wheezing, his sweat-soaked yellow singlet could be seen to bear the proud slogan 'No Pain - No Gain'. An evil grin swept over my friend's face and I knew another of his inane jokes was on the way. 'I think I might buy a tee-shirt,' he mused, 'And get them to print on it the words 'No Pain - No Pain'. He eased back in his chair and took a satisfying sip of his cappuccino.

2. 9 Users gave Like to post:

Argosy (September 18th, 2018), Brad the Impala (September 18th, 2018), Captain Swing (September 19th, 2018), christianpfc (September 19th, 2018), Jellybean (September 18th, 2018), lonelywombat (September 21st, 2018), Moses (September 18th, 2018), paborn (September 18th, 2018), Smiles (September 18th, 2018)

Liked

Re: Fitness Frolics

Another delightful article snotface.

You're quite the wordsmith!
    ..........and that's the way it is.

Liked

" ... Walk, jog, walk, jog, walk, jog, thirty minutes in all ... "
    Dear Snot,
    As your personal trainer I must jump in here ("jump", get it, nudge nudge, get it?) -- and I know you just love this kind of critique -- and make a very simple change to your 'jog/walk' regimen: because half an hour ain't good enough!!
    Add one hour to your rather prissy 30 minutes, and of course you must do this at least five times week.
    And no more of those scrumptious pies at Tinnies.

That's it! You're welcome.
    (Please transfer 2000 baht into my Krungthai Bank account.)
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Pay no mind to Smiles unless he provides a video of his esteemed self doing 90 minutes of exercise five times a week.

But do give some thought to brief, non-demanding use of exercise equipment a few times a week. Not having done that, I now at 78 notice that just about every stress movement, aside from lifting my coffee cup, is likely to initiate an unwanted degree of muscle tension. Not suggesting any attempt at developing a six pack, but am saying muscular underuse can make your later years less enjoyable.

6. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (September 18th, 2018)

Liked

Brilliant article, brilliantly commented on. I might be inspired to climb up on my exercise bike today. If I get the energy to fold all the shirts I hung on it.

Liked

You took up jogging and fucked your foot; you took up swimming and fucked your neck; so you took up stair-climbing, fucked your reputation and got branded a psycho.

I'd have taken the hint by that point, but no - you've taken up jog-walking.

All credit to you, but be careful with those coffees - with your record you might suffer a choking fit and suffocate.

9. User who gave Like to post:

christianpfc (September 19th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    Pay no mind to Smiles unless he provides a video of his esteemed self doing 90 minutes of exercise five times a week.
    Don't worry, I know it's all empty bluster, as another Jomtien Complex pool table showdown looms. He'll be trembling just at my mentioning of that.

Banned
    Liked

Snotface, in the spirit of fun, not diminishing the importance of frequent exercise, and so as not to mince words with your slothful bad self, I agree with Smiles. You need to step it up a bit, instead of tramping about, you need to put some glide in your stride, keep the deep mooing noises on the down-low, and “wipe that bovine perspiration off your upper lip area.” (Quote lifted from Frank Zappa)
    Thoroughly enjoyed your post, you had me at prissy breast stroke!
    Barista, another cappuccino please.

12. 3 Users gave Like to post:

paborn (September 18th, 2018), Smiles (September 19th, 2018), snotface (September 19th, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    You took up jogging and fucked your foot; you took up swimming and fucked your neck; so you took up stair-climbing, fucked your reputation and got branded a psycho.

Accurate summary, and were I a religious person I might call it a perfect example of God trying to tell you something. But I'm not, so knock yourself out.

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by snotface View Post
    Don't worry, I know it's all empty bluster, as another Jomtien Complex pool table showdown looms. He'll be trembling just at my mentioning of that.
    That hurts ...
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand