Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Internet dating scams

Banned
    Liked

Internet dating scams

I wonder how many members have been approached via the Apps by scammers. The tell-tale signs are the scammer is far away (thousands of kilometres), much younger, looking for a serious long-term relationship and (if you can work out their date of joining) someone who's only just signed up with that profile. My profile states quite clearly that I'm only interested in "fun" so someone who contacts me fitting the profile I've described I assume is a scammer. Today's (via Jack'd) was typical - he claimed to be an American from Florida serving his country in Iraq. Reports of this sort of scam in the mass media point to lonely women being scammed out of tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars by such a person

What do you do? I usually string them along, expressing an interest and asking when their tour of duty will finish - the answer is almost always in two to four months. Today's said "under 3 months" so I suggested meeting up for Christmas. He was less than enthusiastic when I suggested I fly to Florida to meet him - he wanted to come to me and I knew the next question would be a request for money for the ticket. When I insisted I'd be flying to see him, and then asked if he could help me with money for the ticket, he blocked me!

Jack'd and Hornet are mostly the Apps that support these scammers. Hornet are particularly responsive when I report scammers or solicitations - and they also show how long the profile has been active (usually under an hour). Jack'd never respond. I've not has this problem with profiles on Grindr

Liked

Re: Internet dating scams

I have been befriended at least three times by scammers. Two said they were gay Russians and told me how amazing it was that they found me to talk to. One was posing as US Army Sargent. I read the messages with fascination to see how they were going to spin the web. In a few days they would begin to set the bait and I would find some way of complimenting them or congratulating them and end the discussions. I also tried to respond in ways that forced them to work at Language not just send back standard answers. It is not really much fun any more so I don’t answer any new scammers.

Liked

Apart from one Thai boy who asked me to send him 300 Baht online so he could come to see me in Bangkok, I have not encountered such scams. That might be because I almost exclusively chat with locals (SEAsians), whereas all cases reported above are Whites?

But I got a few emails from Nigeria, asking for my help in transferring a substantial amount of money, which would be remunerated by a percentage.

Liked

I was contacted by two using Russian pictures and one using a highly decorated white US military man. Who they were in reality I have no idea.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

...or they contact you on grindr, pretend to be highly interested in you but want you to first log onto a separate website using your credit card to verify you are of age so that they can cha/livestreamt with you first

Liked

I just delete or block any incoming correspondence on Grindr.

I did have a dialogue with one remarkably cure looking lad on Vivastreet ads. Most of them are so rough, I can't imagine any one would be interested, but this one looked like a superstar.

I was a little cautious when noticing he had some high security encrypted Swiss e-mail address. When he said we could only do out calls at a local hotel he had an "arrangement" with, but they had to be paid by bank transfer, then it is was an obvious scam.

Liked

You see, this is why I don't use apps. I'm on a two-week visit where there are bars with guys dancing in their underwear. Why would I expend the time and energy for this?

8. User who gave Like to post:

Dalewood (September 22nd, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

....because grindr fuck dates are real good and a lot cheaper...at least the vast majority are ...lets see...
    gogo bar/whorehouse..
    ...drink 550
    ...tip to hideous mamasan and /or waiter 100
    ...MB off fee 500
    ...MB fee 1000 - 1500
    so we are looking at 2000 to 2500 for a fuck...

Grindr fuck
    exchange several pics...free
    MB shows up...free
    MB performs..tip..1000maximum

10. 3 Users gave Like to post:

christianpfc (September 22nd, 2018), Nirish guy (September 24th, 2018), scottish-guy (September 28th, 2018)

Liked

Latin, I get that and if I lived there or was there for an extended time my reaction would be entirely in line with yours. However, I don't expect a vacation to the other side of the world to be cheap. I prefer to save money by flying coach, being careful in selecting my accommodations and make the fancy restaurant a one-off rather than a staple.

I spend the money in the bar with a parade of handsome lads, sit with them, enjoy them and make my selections. That, to me, is money very well spent.

12. User who gave Like to post:

dab69 (October 2nd, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

fair enough ...I fully get it...but in turn dont disparage the grindr way ...