Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The future of energy.

Liked

The future of energy.

This is the future and comparatively little environmental damage apart from a few seabirds stupid enough to play 'chicken' with a wind turbine propeller.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...tension-brexit

Liked

Re: The future of energy.

My idiot president attacks the turbines as killers of birds - in "vast numbers" no less. Recent statistics, at least for the US, show that the number one killer of birds- by many times over- is domestic CATS!.

3. 2 Users gave Like to post:

arsenal (September 6th, 2018), francois (September 6th, 2018)

Liked

In this future scenario, where do we get our electric from when the wind is not blowing ?

We frequently get situations where there is so little wind that total wind output is at less than 1% of it's theoretical capacity. Even if battery technology is improved drastically, it's hardly going to cover a week of calm weather in January.

We need to be making nuclear work as well.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    My idiot president attacks the turbines as killers of birds - in "vast numbers" no less. Recent statistics, at least for the US, show that the number one killer of birds- by many times over- is domestic CATS!.
    I wonder if paborn learned that through his use of Flipboard - an App I recommended to him and for which recommendation he thanked me. Did I get that right or am I dreaming? Apparently I've spent all my time (when I'm not posting as my alter ego scottish-guy) beating him up since the moment he got here. Read this thread and figure it out for yourself

https://sawatdeenetwork.com/v4/showt...ight=Flipboard

Liked

You're right about that Goji. However batteries are about to receive some long overdue attention to get them up to speed. In the UK the govt has decreed that all new cars must be electric by 2040. That means they need to produce a battery that not only can do the mileage but also be re-charged very quickly.

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    You're right about that Goji. However batteries are about to receive some long overdue attention to get them up to speed. In the UK the govt has decreed that all new cars must be electric by 2040. That means they need to produce a battery that not only can do the mileage but also be re-charged very quickly.
    The biggest issue with electric vehicles and battery technology generally is the pollution the batteries cause when they being replaced. I remember consulting to a local government once where we did a "Total Environmental Cost" evaluation for the new vehicles council proposed adding to their fleet. We came up with one particular vehicle make based on precisely that sort of factor. The mayor over-ruled the recommendation and went for a Prius because "visibly it would send the right message"

https://energystorageforum.com/news/...isposal-crisis

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by arsenal View Post
    Arsenal. before the usual culprits point out the current issue with batteries let me add my two cents. There are problems with long storage capacity, there are huge environmental concerns with disposal ( just like unused medicines ) but you wrote "However batteries are about to receive some long overdue attention to get them up to speed" I'm sure they will gloss over that.
    When I started in consulting my "mobile" phone was the size of a school lunch box with a full-sized handset attached. Why? Battery size. With need, however, batteries shrunk so much that everyone was competing to have the tiniest phone. Just before the iPhone came out my mobile was about 1/20 the size of the handle of my first mobile. All of this in a few years.
    Batteries will have their place in the grid - just because the wind is calm in one place does not mean it is calm everywhere - there is a support grid over vast areas. Also within this grid, no one is suggesting that hydropower will end or that solar farms will not fill in.
    Sorry for the long-winded post but what you said is so damn obvious.

Liked

Plus of course within a few years solar panels will be the size of a bathroom mirror and every home in a country such as Thailand will have one.

Liked

You can already see that happening some NGOs have sponsoring small solar panels given to village homes in various countries - just enough for a light bulb and radio. The difference in the productivity and life, even the schooling of the children has a remarkable boost from the extended hours.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

but that n itself creates a problem, if all the country folk become educated where is the next crop of cute dumb money boys gonna come from???