List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Break-up of United Kingdom closer than ever.

Liked

Re: Break-up of United Kingdom closer than ever.

Quote Originally Posted by frequent View Post
    ...Why would the English care about the problems of a scattered population one-third the size of their largest city....
    Well, having pissed off all of Europe and being despised throughout the world, where else are they going to source their electricity, gas, oil and water - and where else will they house their weapons of mass destruction (the bill for which will dwarf the financial-jiggery-pokery deficit they keep trying to frighten us with)?

Oh, and when did the population of London reach 16 million? It's just over half that figure

Looks like you don't even know the population of Scotland. I had you down as educated too.

2. User who gave Like to post:

frequent (September 4th, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by scottish-guy View Post
    Oh, and when did the population of London reach 16 million? It's just over half that figure. Looks like you don't even know the population of Scotland. I had you down as educated too.
    4-09-2018 5-21-48 PM.jpg

4. User who gave Like to post:

scottish-guy (September 4th, 2018)

Liked

The idea, Frequent, is to do your Googling before you post.

I thoroughly recommend that approach and given the preponderance of nit-pickers on here it usually pays dividends.

Banned
    Liked

The idea, Frequent, is to do your Googling before you post. I thoroughly recommend that approach and given the preponderance of nit-pickers on here it usually pays dividends.
    You mean illustrating that the population of Scotland is 5/8 the population of London rather than closer to 3/8? In the grand scheme of things that's barely outside the margin of error, and certainly doesn't vitiate my point that the population of Scotland simply isn't worth worrying about. It's like Pattaya to those of us who live in Bangkok. You know it's there; it just doesn't matter

Liked

Oh dear - you said one third didn't you?

Well, 1/3 is 3/9ths not 3/8ths.

It may seem a small fraction of a difference, but when translated into actual numbers the scale of the error is stark:

As I originally said, for Scotland to have 1/3 the population of London as you claimed, the London population would need to be almost 16 million. The fact is it's just over half of that.

A huge error - man up and admit it.

Banned
    Liked

Oh dear - you said one third didn't you? Well, 1/3 is 3/9ths not 3/8ths.It may seem a small fraction of a difference but when translated into actual numbers the scale of the error is stark: As I originally said, for Scotland to have 1/3 the population of London as you claimed, the London population would need to be almost 16 million. The fact is it's just over half of that. A huge error - man up and admit it.
    You are arithmetically correct but that is irrelevant in the context of the utter pointlessness of worrying about the Scots, which was my entire thesis. Apart from whisky and perhaps smoked salmon, why would Scotland be missed if it fell off the edge of the world tomorrow. New Zealand is in the same position, and just as irrelevant (you'll note my even-handed offensiveness to both arse-ends of the world)

Liked

You are arithmetically correct..
    You should have stopped right there

...Apart from whisky and perhaps smoked salmon, why would Scotland be missed if it fell off the edge of the world tomorrow...
    In world terms, few small countries are significant but your initial comparison was with England - so can I refer you to the 4 examples I gave in my initial response?

If you can tell me where else England is going to source her electricity, gas, oil and water from (in none of which is England self-sufficient) or where else she intends to place rump UK's WMD, then we can talk.

Meanwhile some of us have a job to go to - toodle-oo the noo!!

Banned
    Liked

If you can tell me where else England is going to source her electricity, gas, oil and water from (in none of which is England self-sufficient) or where else she intends to place her WMD, then we can talk.
    Where's the fun in that? You seem to be under the illusion that anything any of us say will make the slightest difference. You should join Smiles and cdnmatt in their fascination with Trump, another topic where neither they, nor you, nor I can make the slightest difference

Banned
    Liked

If you can tell me where else England is going to source her electricity, gas, oil and water from (in none of which is England self-sufficient) or where else she intends to place her WMD, then we can talk.
    As to sources of the things you mention, that's all just Ceteris paribus; the same sort of argument that was running 100+ years ago which suggested the streets of London would soon be impassable because of all the horse shit there would be. To take just one of those four - water. There is absolutely no reason whatsoever, apart from the aesthetics involved, why we cannot drink recycled, purified sewage. It can certainly be used in all sorts of processes, assuming we have the will. In America this process is known as "toilet-to-tap" - or as the Americans put it, "terlit-to-tap"

Liked

A well brought up and politely behaved Englishman can expect the warmest of welcomes wherever he ventures. This has been my experience and nowhere more so than Scotland. Members should not allow one bitter UK national to sully my nation or embarrass his.

13. User who gave Like to post:

paborn (September 6th, 2018)