List of forums
Gay Thailand
Gay Cambodia
Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Laos Wire Transfers -- Telex #???

Banned
    Liked

Re: Laos Wire Transfers -- Telex #???

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    Because it's an Asia-centric forum, so I thought someone here may night what a telex# is. I got my answer in the first reply -- it's some technology that's been obsolete for a few decades now.
    Asia-centric, telex?? WTF?

Banned
    Liked

Here's an article from this week's Economist - Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are "useless": https://www.economist.com/leaders/20...es-are-useless

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by cdnmatt View Post
    I thought someone here may know what a telex# is. I got my answer in the first reply -- it's some technology that's been obsolete for a few decades now.
    Just for clarity Matt - you DO know that a telex isn't the same as a Swift / Iban No etc but is a physical MACHINE - basically like an older version of a fax machine ( sort of ) where specific information or text and figures etc could be typed in to a keyboard at one end on someones telex machine and then received that the other end on the other persons telex machine and then printed by that machine on it's own usually actually printer onto a large ream of paper........think of a old TV newsroom and someone ripping a sheet of paper off the "telex machine" and handing it to the news presenter who usually opened with "this just in" as he then read the "latest news" just in off the "telex machine"

I think perhaps the person in the bank may have been referring to you needing to do a "telegraphic transfer" of funds ( which used to be performed by telex machine - but that has been superseded by all manner of the usual more modern means of communication now ( and Swift and BIC No's etc - but who knows, is maybe still used in Laos and THAT is what they were thinking ! ??

I'd be interested to hear do (UK) banks still even HAVE Telex machines at their disposal in branches if anyone knows - I'll have to ask when next in my local branch.....if I can ever find one now ?

Liked

"I'd be interested to hear do (UK) banks still even HAVE Telex machines at their disposal in branches if anyone knows - I'll have to ask when next in my local branch.....if I can ever find one now ?"

I can't say about UK banks but from what I know about Western Union the remnants of the telex system is what is used, banks used the system and called it wire transfer, as in "wiring funds" I think you will find that the computer systems came in and added to the system with ease of use. In the days of my long lost youth, our office Telex was locked in a room to restrict access.

Frankly. I think Matt's issue could have been solved with a discussion with a real banker rather one of the cafeteria type workers we have today. That's why I suggested he talk to the international department at an HQ bank and not waste time with call centers and branch banks. They are clueless; the "obsolete" telex he talks about is not that old ( I'm still alive thank you very much ) and it undermines the modern systems.

Liked

@NIrish -- You're probably right, and they just included that telex# as an alternative method they support, but by no means was it required to be used.

I don't know. Besides, the SWIFT code Leo got was SCBLUS33, and a quick Google revelas that to be the New York branch of Standard Chartered Bank. Potentitally fine, as many banks route their wires through the US like that, but who knows.

That, and I didn't even have any actual street addresses for either, Leo or the bank. Just drstrict names. I don't even think they have house / building numbers out there -- everyone just setup shop and home in a big field.

*shrug* Doesn't matter anymore anyway.