Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Will

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Re: Will

My situation is perhaps a little different. I sold my homes in the US and just keep an amount on deposit there in the unlikely event that I would choose to be medevaced, at a cost of 25-50K, to spend the last weeks of my life in an American hospital. As far as I can see, that is not going to happen as long as I am compos mentis. I am going to leave the world much more economically here in Vietnam. The money remaining in the States will to go to my sisters.

Here in Vietnam, my partner of 18 years is the legal owner of the five properties that I have purchased and has the entry code to the safe in which we keep a substantial amount of dollars (not trusting the local banks whose directors and managers are routinely prosecuted for theft and mismanagement). So there would be no incentive for him to assist me in a “fall” from our sixth floor balcony.

Would he fritter away his (relative) fortune after I’m gone? I tend to agree with Nirish’s solicitor that it would be wrong to try and micro-manage someone else’s life/spending after my death. At that time, my partner will note that there are no more monthly deposits coming into his account from the US and it is up to him to figure out how the property and cash should best be used for the remaining 25-30 years of his life.

2. 2 Users gave Like to post:

Jellybean (August 30th, 2018), Tintin (August 30th, 2018)

Forum's veteran
    Liked

My biggest concern is ensuring that the money in my will that I've left my boyfriend is transferred as quickly as possible. I don't know what it's like elsewhere but here in the UK even an straightforward will can take a year. And that's before taking into account an international transfer. That's why I've set-up an account in Thailand for him in his name.
    The issue for me is not a slow decline which gives me time to sort of my affairs but a sudden, unexpected death..

Liked

"but here in the UK even an straightforward will can take a year. "

I'm in no position to doubt you, but - seriously - a year??? My will, power of attorney, living will, etc. Drawn up in a week in the US. Even looped in my Wealth Manager and provisions for my cat. A year?

Liked

Winding up an estate takes time if there is real estate to sell. A father and son were receiving remittances every month from a sponsor who was too frail to visit. When he died, the money stopped. While I made requests on their behalf for the $5,000 each that was in the will, the executor waited till the estate was finalized before making any distributions.
    My executor is family and will act promptly to honour my promise. Leaving it in the hands of lawyers is probably not a good idea.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

To clarify, Paborn, the paying-out of a will can take a year here in the UK although the drawing-up of one is quick and easy. In my case, my house will need to be sold before payment is made. That, in itself , is a slow process, or can be. One year is the best I -or rather he-can hope for. Hence the need for money to be available in Thailand itself.

7. User who gave Like to post:

francois (August 29th, 2018)

Liked

Got it. I thought you meant the drawing up of a will. In the US I settled my father's very quickly - as long as there is a will it's very simple.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by paborn View Post
    .....as long as there is a will it's very simple.
    Where there's a will there's a way eh !

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver2 View Post
    To clarify, Paborn, the paying-out of a will can take a year here in the UK although the drawing-up of one is quick and easy. In my case, my house will need to be sold before payment is made. That, in itself , is a slow process, or can be. One year is the best I -or rather he-can hope for. Hence the need for money to be available in Thailand itself.
    Which is why various national authorities allow periods of three to five years to "settle" a deceased estate

Liked

I don't understand why one has to die before giving his Honey Bunch money. Why not give your Lover any excess money you have now (except what you need to live) and this way both of you can enjoy his happiness with your money while you're still alive?

Liked

"Why not give your Lover any excess money you have now (except what you need to live) "

I think that's only applicable to ex-pats with long-term full-time partners here.