Gay Vietnam
Gay World
Everything Else
FAQ & Help
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Food hygiene in Thailand

Liked

Re: black gay in Thailand

Gloves are not necessarily a good thing. For example if you touch raw chicken with your hands you automatically give them a bloody good wash before making the salad. This might not be so if gloves are being worn.

Liked

There are rats, and then there are RATS.
    There are the Sewer Rats (i.e. the 'dirty' rats, the ones y'all are hyperventilating over). And then there are the Rice Rats (i.e. the 'clean, rats which live in the rice paddy's in the countryside.)
    The 'clean' rats ~ a distinct type and more sophisticated ~ do some damage to growing rice and would never think of going down a sewer.

Thais disregard sewer rats to the point of not acknowledging them even as one of the little buggers scamps over one's sandals at an outdoor street restaurant. But they don't freak out either. 'Rat' is seldom on the menus of city/town restaurants.

On the other hand, the older generation of farmers out in the boonies will catch, and eat, rice rats ... the 'clean' type. They are eating the rice after all.
    My dearest, a farmer in the heart ~~ though now gentrified ~~ hunted them and feasted on rats regularly as a young man.

Did I "go Thai" regarding this last sentence? What do you think?
    Just another reason why I love living in Thailand

3. 3 Users gave Like to post:

paborn (August 21st, 2018), snotface (August 21st, 2018), splinter1949 (August 21st, 2018)

Liked

Lemy (The OP) did the resulting discussion on hygiene and clean rats and sewer rats properly answer your question on how Thai men react to blacks? Curious minds want to know.

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by Smiles View Post
    My dearest, a farmer in the heart ~~ though now gentrified ~~ hunted them and feasted on rats regularly as a young man. Did I "go Thai" regarding this last sentence? What do you think?
    Shit it seems I require just a little more aversion therapy as I almost broke into a cold sweat and could feel that horrible saliva in the mouth thing before you puke feeling kicking off in my mouth as I read the above ....

In all seriousness though it is funny / weird how one becomes programmed to dislike / fear things as my BF is a small guy, scared of his own shadow and permanently worrying about whether things are "clean" or not and yet when it comes to rats as you say Smiles he too was brought up around rice rats and doesn't even take them under his notice and things I'm an absolute nut job for my deep fear of them. He tells he stories of how he and his family members went into barns and killed them etc without a second thought, personally I'm not so sure and think he's been watching too much TV as this is the guy who if a wasp flies into the kitchen nearly breaks the door through to exit the room, no matter whether it's open or not !

When I was very young ( like 3 or 4 year old) my family lived in the inner city and I've a notion that rats abounded there and I must have had a few run ins with them there that left a negative lasting impression, I actually caught rtheumatic back then which I believe comes from an unclean environment ( my mother was spotless btw so it's wasn't HER) and the doc explained that was probably something to do with rats so I put all those things down to my aversion to this day.

Thankfully as I said Bkk has diminished my irrational fears somewhat along with reading a book or two about self CBT training too I would add.

Liked

Re: Food hygiene in Thailand

A lot of the guys from Issan have told me they eat rice paddy rats, as they are considered clean.

Even though my stomach is churning at the very thought, I just smile and ask: "Aroi mai?"

Forum's veteran
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by a447 View Post
    A lot of the guys from Issan have told me they eat rice paddy rats, as they are considered clean."
    Exactly and then you get one of them back to the room and after inviting him to "hey suck my dick" he has the cheek to screw his face up and say "cannot" ! FUCK YOU ! - you've eaten bloody RATS - so just get ON with it and quite complaining whilst trying to hold out for a bigger tip you chancer ! lol

Forum's veteran
    Liked

But it’s all just cultural conditioning, isn’t it? Last year I came across a tin of Grant’s Premium Haggis. Poured it into a sauce pan and served it up with potatoes. Taste was fine, but could not forget that sheeps lungs were clearly listed in the ingredients . Only managed to finish half of it.

Many Asians have an aversion to dairy products. Most foreigners have an aversion to Durian.

A girl I knew from the African highlands put shrimp in the same category as cockroaches.

People from America and the UK cannot agree on the correct way to cook bacon.

In Saudi Arabia, I ate camel (bland) and the flesh of a large desert lizard (like chicken). BTW, the lizard hunting season is just starting. North Central Saudi Arabia probably the best hunting grounds, but should wait till after the 2 mil Hajjis have gone home.

9. User who gave Like to post:

Smiles (August 22nd, 2018)

Banned
    Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    But it’s all just cultural conditioning, isn’t it?
    Isn’t everything? In the West it’s common - unremarkable - to have a woman flop her tits out to suckle her spawn. I’ve never seen that in Thailand

11. User who gave Like to post:

StevieWonders (August 22nd, 2018)

Liked

Quote Originally Posted by bobsaigon2 View Post
    Last year I came across a tin of Grant’s Premium Haggis. Poured it into a sauce pan and served it up with potatoes. Taste was fine, but could not forget that sheeps lungs were clearly listed in the ingredients .
    You're a brave man, Bob!

Liked

Most of us eat raw (live) oysters but would be horrified at the idea.of eating warm deal blubber, which the Inuit love.